SEA-DET Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEA-DET Trade

Doug Fister & David Pauley to the Tigers for Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells, Francisco Martinez & PTBNL.

Seems like a good deal for the M's.

Could be a great deal for the M's. From RotoWorld:

The player to be named later headed to Seattle from the Doug Fister trade is reportedly one of Detroit's top three draft picks from 2010.
    This from Mariners beat writer Shannon Drayer. Each of Detroit's top three picks (3B Nick Castellanos, RHP Chance Ruffin and LHP Drew Smyly) signed on August 16, and players can not be traded until they have been under contract for at least one year. While the trade helps the Tigers in the short term, it could end up being a huge win for the Mariners in the long run, especially if Castellanos turns out to be the PTBNL.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

it seems shortsighted to suggest that this trade only helps the tigers in the short term. fister AND pauley are both under club control, quite modestly, until 2015. adding a young SP with a career ERA under 4 - AND a solid righty for the pen who is having a great season - for a couple of marginal upside rookies, a blue chip single A player and a PTBNL seems like a solid value. clearly, the PTBNL has the chance to make or break this deal, but that wont be known for years.

and, the PTBNL will NOT be castellanos (whose presence theoretically made martinez available in the first place).

i like the idea of having fister in toeing the bump for a few years at comerica. seems like a good complement to the power arms at the top of the rotation. i'll take this deal any day over a 2011 rental of a solid but not spectacular SP. particularly when the market price of such a rental seemed to include one of the tigers' big 3 prospects (turner/oliver/castellanos).
      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

It was an decent trade for both teams. Martinez is behind Castellanos so no way he is the PTBNL. Furbush & Wells are no big deal. Fister could he a starter for years and doesn't have to be resigned. The only problem I see is that he isn't a K pitcher and is coming from an extreme pitcher's park to still a pitcher's park so I expect his ERA to rise. 3.00 at home and 3.71 away but he is having success and is on a much better team that can score runs. I give the Tigers a thumb up on this deal.

Comment

At the very least, the Tigers got someone who won't jaw at Victor Martinez in violent fashion when he's visiting the mound, lol.

Fister's a good solid pitcher. I'd have to imagine the Tigers' fanbase will enjoy him as much as we did. And Pauley is a decent 6th/7th inning guy. As for the M's, they got a solid haul. Wells is almost immediately their best outfielder (which is just as much an indictment on the state of the M's outfield as it is on Wells' talent). He should get plenty of playing time in LF while Mike Carp sees the majority of the time at DH (Carp's a bad fielder while Wells is excellent in a corner). Furbush is an interesting arm, although he's likely a reliever when all is said and done. Martinez is at least two years away, but hey, he's toolsy! And lastly, I hope the M's get Ruffin as the PTBNL as he could be in the mix for saves for Seattle by late next year.

Comment

I know Ichiro's not anything like what he used to be, but really? Wells is their best OF?
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              I know Ichiro's not anything like what he used to be, but really? Wells is their best OF?
              Kinda of shows you the kind of year the Mariners are having. Lost sight of Ichiro.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                Kinda of shows you the kind of year the Mariners are having. Lost sight of Ichiro.
                Have you seen Ichiro's numbers? Have you seen him field this year? He's been awful. He looks every bit his 37 years, and I have only a small bit of hope that he can recover and be halfway decent into next year. Wells is better than both he and Franklin Gutierrez by a pretty good margin at this point. And I don't say that lightly as I'm a huge Ichiro fan and like Guti a lot, too. They've just been an utter disaster for the M's and no one is sure they're going to recover for 2012 either.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Really! Ichiro looks bad, man. At this point, I would take Raul Ibanez over him... as an outfielder! I don't know if it's age, hidden injury issues, or what, but Ichiro has looked like a 5th outfielder all year long. His fielding has been bad and his hitting has been awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    Have you seen Ichiro's numbers? Have you seen him field this year? He's been awful. He looks every bit his 37 years, and I have only a small bit of hope that he can recover and be halfway decent into next year. Wells is better than both he and Franklin Gutierrez by a pretty good margin at this point. And I don't say that lightly as I'm a huge Ichiro fan and like Guti a lot, too. They've just been an utter disaster for the M's and no one is sure they're going to recover for 2012 either.
                    Thats what I meant. Usually you would count on Ichiro hitting over .300. Ichiro value would be higher to a fantasy team than to real life right now. Wells will be given a chance to play and he could be interesting but he has to prove he can play everyday.

Comment

Working...
                    X