No announcement yet.

Cristian Javier for Thor or Clevinger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cristian Javier for Thor or Clevinger?

I have Javier for $1, he can be extended next year or kept one more year at $1. I'm glad to see him get a chance at the rotation, but worry that even if he pitches well, they won't keep him in it when McCullers gets back. After all, he has pitched well as a starter before, but the team seems to prefer him in long relief. Anywho, the news of him going into the rotation has increased interest in him substantially and I am very tempted to trade him. I have two different offers--one for an expiring Thor and one for an expiring Clevinger. I prefer Clev, but he and the Padres have been clear they will cap his innings. I have not read similar warnings about Thor, but the 6 man rotation I guess does something similar already.

So, should I keep Javier or trade him? And if you say trade him, which of the two SPs I have been offered do you prefer and why?

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I have Javier for $1, he can be extended next year or kept one more year at $1. I'm glad to see him get a chance at the rotation, but worry that even if he pitches well, they won't keep him in it when McCullers gets back. After all, he has pitched well as a starter before, but the team seems to prefer him in long relief. Anywho, the news of him going into the rotation has increased interest in him substantially and I am very tempted to trade him. I have two different offers--one for an expiring Thor and one for an expiring Clevinger. I prefer Clev, but he and the Padres have been clear they will cap his innings. I have not read similar warnings about Thor, but the 6 man rotation I guess does something similar already.

So, should I keep Javier or trade him? And if you say trade him, which of the two SPs I have been offered do you prefer and why?
    If you are competing for this year I like Thor. He got a pretty good contract indicating health. He has looked good so far.

Clev is still a week away. Still has to ease in (maybe).

Comment

I agree with Gregg -- trade him for Thor, don't trade him for Clevinger

Comment

Interesting. Thor has looked good so far...I'm in a weekly league so the 6 man rotation is a turn off. It pretty much kills those ever so precious two start weeks. But he has looked good, and he is a safer bet (I can't believe I am saying Thor is safer than anyone) than Javier.

Comment

I prefer Clevinger over Thor.

Comment

What has looked good about Thor? He looks like a work in progress to me, scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              No kidding, did you even watch Endgame?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                No kidding, did you even watch Endgame?

On a serious note, with Thor I see the following:

1) Velo down ~4-5mph from pre-injury.
                2) Slider usage spotty
                3) Do I want him to use his slider? If he doesn't he's not the same pitcher at all. If he does, when does his arm fall off?
                4) Not striking out many hitters

Maybe he puts it all together and still manages to stay healthy. Seems like long odds though. If you have him, use him. But if not? I don't see him as a target personally.

Comment

I think I'd stick with Javier. And now the circle of confusion is complete.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

His ERA Whip and Wins so far. Plus he struck out 6 in 5 innings last outing.

Here are his stats (from Statcast) for this year:

2022 4-Seamer LAA R 57 94.5
                    2022 Sinker LAA R 65 94.7
                    2022 Changeup LAA R 59 88.6
                    2022 Curveball LAA R 21 77.4
                    2022 Slider LAA R 44 84.1

The columns are lined up until I hit reply. The number after the R is number thrown followed by mph.

Comment

I would also stick with Javier. Thor's shortcomings are chronicled well here; who the heck knows what Clevinger will be, but odds are way against him being his old self from the get-go or even a few months from now. Javier seems to have the most upside to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        His ERA Whip and Wins
                        I stopped dead in my tracks here. About the least predictive stat imaginable

(the previous two aren't very well established given the sample size either)

Comment

I stopped dead in my tracks here. About the least predictive stat imaginable

(the previous two aren't very well established given the sample size either)
                          I put that in for fun... and I iike wins.

Comment

Thanks all...both deals were easy to walk away from, because both guys went from discussing the 1 for 1 to deciding they wanted more. The Clevinger owner wanted me to include Nate Pearson and the Thor owner wanted me to include David Robertson. I might be able to talk either or both back down to the 1 for 1 (the Thor owner always does this, to see if he can squeeze more from a deal, but has backed off the add in the past if he really wants the guy), but since they clearly think they are giving too much 1 for 1 and I was on the fence anyway, I think I will see how he does Wednesday before making a move.

Comment

I'm in the Javier camp as well. All this guy does is produce solid numbers, while being moved around from role to role. Arguably more effective as a SP than out of the pen last year, in comparable innings. He's a nice $1 chip.
                              One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Working...
                              X