Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Jones and Alex Gonzalez for Nick Hundley

12-team NL-only keeper league (OBP)

My Nick Hundley ($3/0) for Garrett Jones ($17/2) and Alex Gonzalez ($15/2)

Currently sitting in 2nd place, 10 points out of first, a point ahead of the 3rd place team. My pitching has been outstanding, but my hitting has struggled. Talent-wise this trade is a no-brainer but it would affect my cap room which might hinder a dump deal. Right now I'm at $308 and our cap's $350; after the trade I would be at $327. Hundley's $3 price tag makes him valuable to me even though he's unkeepable for next year.

Is this a case of take the talent now and worry about other trades later? Will Garrett Jones regain a starting spot and help me out in the power categories? Should I be holding out for a bigger dump deal to get someone like Ryan Zimmerman or Jose Reyes?

Do you have enough trade chips to be able to get a top-level star? If you do, this doesn't seem like a great deal... or at least you'll probably have to include one or both of them in the other dump trade as salary cap relief.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Do you have chips to do a dump deal? Is your league OBP or BA?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Do you have chips to do a dump deal? Is your league OBP or BA?
        OBP league

I have a good amount of chips, and most of the contending teams have already made their dump deals already so their cap space is mostly maxed out and some of the weaker teams are already tapped out as far as impact players are concerned.

Here are possible keepers on my roster:

Espinosa - $5/2 years left on his contract
        Sands - $4/2
        Bonifacio - $1/1
        Jay - $1/2
        Stubbs - $15/2 (not going to trade him unless I get a ridiculous haul back)
        Blanks - $1/2+
        F. Martinez - $5/2

Anibal Sanchez - $1/1
        James McDonald - $1/1
        Axford - $10/1
        Street - $12/1
        Jordan Lyles - $5/2
        Johan Santana - $11/2
        Cueto - $7/2
        Lohse - $10/2 (not an ideal dump candidate though)
        Vogelsong - $10/2 (ditto)
        Kuo - $1/1 (if he gets over his case of the yips)

In my current position of 2nd place I would only be able to keep 10 for next year, 1st would be 9, 3rd would be 11. At this point I feel I have 7 definite keepers (Stubbs, Espinosa, Sands, Sanchez, Street, Axford, and Cueto), 3 probable keepers (Jay, Santana, and Lyles), 3 risky youngsters (Blanks, Martinez, and McDonald), 2 surprising studs with limited future upside (Lohse and Vogelsong), and a couple quality filler guys (Bonifacio and Kuo).

I offered Lyles and Jay for Zimmerman, Carpenter, McLouth, and Schafer and was told by this owner he had a better offer on the table. The Reyes owner is a friend of mine and fellow Dodger fan, so I might be able to pair Sands with someone like Lyles to get Reyes and some other useful filler. I've put out feelers to a couple other lower half owners about guys like Carlos Pena and Holliday and was told they were still holding out hope but to ask again in a few weeks.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Comment

I take it you don't have an expensive player who's injured or performing in a turd-like way that you can include in a second dump deal. If not, I'd proceed this way:

Plan A - Sweeten the pot in the Zimmerman deal. You're going for the win, and let's assume with a good dump deal, you can win. So you'll only have nine keepers. Add at least one of your risky youngsters and Kuo and see if that does it for you.

Plan B - If you can swing getting Reyes, and he's a Dodger fan like you, include Kuo in a deal with Sands and Lyles. Or one of your risky youngsters.

Plan C - Take the offer on the table and see if you can find one more mid-tier player on a dumper who can help you for one of your risky youngsters and Kuo. You'll still be able to take a deal at about $24 worth of players.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I would not paint myself into a corner by eating up cap space on Jones and Gonz when players like Zimmerman and Carpenter are available. Of course you have to give up more to get a Zimmerman.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I went with a bit of a stars and scrubs mentality this year, so I only have a handful of guys at more than $10

Prince Fielder - $49
              Cliff Lee - $38
              Chase Utley - $30
              Scott Rolen - $25
              Carlos Beltran - $20

I guess I could include Rolen in one of these deals to save some money, but I have enough holes in my line-up that I'd rather not give up any production.

What kind of risk is there that Reyes gets traded to the AL? I would only get the players in return, and even then I wouldn't be able to keep them for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                What kind of risk is there that Reyes gets traded to the AL? I would only get the players in return, and even then I wouldn't be able to keep them for next year.
                Significant, IMO. Not absolute, by any means, but say 40/60 if he gets dealt. Of teams that could easily afford him, the Red Sox, Mariners, and Tigers could all use him. I don't know that Tampa would be willing to shell out the bucks for him, but they have a near black-hole at SS, too.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                X