Geren out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geren out

The Athletics have fired manager Bob Geren and named Bob Melvin interim manager.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    The Athletics have fired manager Bob Geren and named Bob Melvin interim manager.
    Same old story in Oakland--Billy hires a manager (this one a long-time friend), gives him a roster full of mediocrity, team performs as expected, Billy fires the manager, rinse and repeat.

Has anyone considered the idea that perhaps the managers aren't the problem?

I know they're not numerous, but A's fans deserve better.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Same old story in Oakland--Billy hires a manager (this one a long-time friend), gives him a roster full of mediocrity, team performs as expected, Billy fires the manager, rinse and repeat.
      Roster performs as expected ?! Here are the 2011 and career OPS for each starter:

Suzuki: .662 (Career before 2011: .711)
      Barton: .603 (Career .768)
      Ellis: .533 (Career .740)
      Pennington: .653 (Career .699)
      Kouzmanoff: .615 (Career .727)
      Willingham: .755 (Career .841)
      Crisp: .689 (Career .745)
      DeJesus: .690 (Career .787)
      Matsui: .577 (Career .848)

The team as a whole has a collective line of .238/.304/.346 (.650 OPS). I think it is safe to say that EVERY single hitter is playing way below expectations. Whether that is the fault of the manager is debatable, but the team is definitely under-performing, and not playing up to expectations. The pitching has been excellent, despite half the staff on the DL. If the hitting was even close to average, or close to their career rates, this team would be in first place.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
        Roster performs as expected ?! Here are the 2011 and career OPS for each starter:

Suzuki: .662 (Career before 2011: .711)
        Barton: .603 (Career .768)
        Ellis: .533 (Career .740)
        Pennington: .653 (Career .699)
        Kouzmanoff: .615 (Career .727)
        Willingham: .755 (Career .841)
        Crisp: .689 (Career .745)
        DeJesus: .690 (Career .787)
        Matsui: .577 (Career .848)

The team as a whole has a collective line of .238/.304/.346 (.650 OPS). I think it is safe to say that EVERY single hitter is playing way below expectations. Whether that is the fault of the manager is debatable, but the team is definitely under-performing, and not playing up to expectations. The pitching has been excellent, despite half the staff on the DL. If the hitting was even close to average, or close to their career rates, this team would be in first place.
        I'm not saying you're wrong, but age and park effects are a pretty big factor here. Players who appear to be underperforming may not be.

Coco has a career 95 OPS+ and he's at 91. Willingham is at 120/108. Not good, but maybe not as bad as it looks.

Honestly I think the biggest issue this year was the bullpen and Geren's blow-ups with Fuentes (whether his fault or not) definitely didn't help. I think he's probably worthy of another shot down the road, maybe with a couple years as a bench coach for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          I'm not saying you're wrong, but age and park effects are a pretty big factor here. Players who appear to be underperforming may not be.

Coco has a career 95 OPS+ and he's at 91. Willingham is at 120/108. Not good, but maybe not as bad as it looks.

Honestly I think the biggest issue this year was the bullpen and Geren's blow-ups with Fuentes (whether his fault or not) definitely didn't help. I think he's probably worthy of another shot down the road, maybe with a couple years as a bench coach for experience.
          and that group of hitters arent very good at optimum levels. I realize teams dont have to have studs in their lineups, but that collection is nauseating
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

Well, Willingham and Crisp are the two who are close to respectable. But you can't really use park effects for the infield - Suzuki, Barton, Pennington, Ellis, etc because they've played for Oakland their entire careers. And age is really only a factor for Ellis and Matsui.

Comment

Working...
            X