Discuss Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Part 2

Wow. Dunno. Batters not hitting the ball as hard (not as strong)? More pitchers throwing stuff with late movement, reducing solid hits?

I guess I'm really surprised to see BABIP reflect such a change over the last two or three years.

Comment

In both of these "discuss" threads, I'm teasing a piece that I have going up at BPro by tomorrow morning depending on the editing backlog. I looked at 10 different metrics and the results are rather surprising.

Comment

Excellent. I'll be sure and check in.

Comment

I'd be curious to overlay the percentage of games played on Astroturf.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I'd be curious to overlay the percentage of games played on Astroturf.
            That would be interesting...forgot how it was phased out but its only in 2 parks now, no (TOR, TB)?

Interestingly enough, 4 of the 5 Rays SP from last season had BABIP's of .277 or lower

Comment

Wow look at that jump around 1992... did everyone discover peds around that time?

And then around 2001 a sharp drop which is strange because that was definitely still in the peds era. Maybe everyone tried to hit home runs too much?
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                Wow look at that jump around 1992... did everyone discover peds around that time?
                Colorado/Coors Field entered the league in 1993, which would certainly have something to do with the NL spike.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

And then around 2001 a sharp drop which is strange because that was definitely still in the peds era. Maybe everyone tried to hit home runs too much?

I think that an increase in the effectiveness of drugs may explain the rise and an increase in effectiveness, the inception of rules penalizing, a focus on investigation and exposure and some players publicly speaking out against drug use may explain the fall.

Not all of these drugs are illegal.

Comment

Another factor in the BABIP drop could be the renewed emphasis on defense. There are a lot more "good glove, mediocre bat" players starting now than there were a few years ago.

Comment

I' be curious to overlay the avg distance to the wall through the past 60 yrs ... one theory could be that with new stadiums coming online in the 90's HRs have become easier (I'm thinking of the old Tiger stadium with 440 ft to centre).
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

full article http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14107

Comment

Working...
                        X