On Keeping a Pricey Max Scherzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    For fun our league added the Mulligan on auction day. Each team gets one Mulligan.

We can drop a player and pull one back that we cut on cut down day.

We can just drop a player.

Or if we were under the keeper limit bring one of our cuts back.

Lastly we can either give a raise or take one back.

This means I can keep Scherzer and then drop him 2 minutes before our auction starts.

The Mulligans are written on a piece of paper folded and turned in at the same time. This prevents other teams from reacting to the Mulligans with their Mulligans.
    I'd hate this rule if I were in that league. It discourages planning. You never want to implement a rule that actively encourages people to care about your game less - this is one that makes preparation less useful since several players you have available that you may be planning to buy at auction suddenly are not available... randomly. It's a cute little gimmick for a strategy game, but it is counter productive from an actual fantasy baseball perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I'd hate this rule if I were in that league. It discourages planning. You never want to implement a rule that actively encourages people to care about your game less - this is one that makes preparation less useful since several players you have available that you may be planning to buy at auction suddenly are not available... randomly. It's a cute little gimmick for a strategy game, but it is counter productive from an actual fantasy baseball perspective.
      I certainly understand your issue/point.

We have been doing it for 10 years or more and no one has ever suggested we stop it. Everyone seems to enjoy it. On a yearly basis there really aren't that many moves. Maybe we average 3 per year. I have to say I do take advantage of the rule.

One of the other benefits that come out of it is we can drop a player that gets hurt between roster cut down day and the auction.

Comment

One of the other benefits that come out of it is we can drop a player that gets hurt between roster cut down day and the auction.
        Why is that a benefit?

Why is getting hurt in that time window any different than getting hurt 1 day after the auction?

Comment

Why is that a benefit?

Why is getting hurt in that time window any different than getting hurt 1 day after the auction?
          Because you can't use your auction budget to replace an injured player 1 day after the auction.

We like to at least have hope of competing going into the auction. Auction day is a big deal for most of us. One of the most fun days of the year. No one wants to lose their most expensive keeper and auction dollars before the auction.

Comment

Because you can't use your auction budget to replace an injured player 1 day after the auction.
            That's actually the point though. Why punish the guy whose player gets injured 1 day after the auction and reward the guy whose player gets injured 1 day before. It's somewhat arbitrary in nature.

It sounds like you may have too much time between your keeper decisions and auction day. Limit that time and you'd have the same result.

Comment

That's actually the point though. Why punish the guy whose player gets injured 1 day after the auction and reward the guy whose player gets injured 1 day before. It's somewhat arbitrary in nature.
              There is no way to control what happens after the auction. But we can control what happens before the auction as far as how it effects us. We love the auction and want it to be fun for all.

It has actually worked out very well for us and we all like it.

I do get what you are saying and to each his own. I wouldn't play in a weekly transaction 5x5. But to those who like it good for you!

Comment

I remember playing in a league in the early 1990's. one auction, duane ward was protected at $25 or $30 or whatever, but a big number. entering the auction, news came out of his dl stint. the commish, who owned ward, dictated that ward could begin the auction on the 'dl' of his team, thus returning his salary to his budget and opening up a spot on his active roster. of course I, and many others, went nuts. he stood firm. that was my last year in that league...

Comment

quitter

Comment

I wouldn't mind the drop one guy part, but I would hate the pull back one guy part.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      I wouldn't mind the drop one guy part, but I would hate the pull back one guy part.
                      hmm...so it would be a better strategy for me to declare dropping a $54 Scherzer and then pulling him back on auction day?

Comment

hmm...so it would be a better strategy for me to declare dropping a $54 Scherzer and then pulling him back on auction day?
                        lol...you would blow up half the league member strategies

Comment

Working...
                        X