Trading for Ryan O' Hearn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading for Ryan O' Hearn?

AL only 5x5 OBP instead of ave. 12 team $260 budget.

The owner of Ryan O'Hearn posted him on the trade block. He is $5 and done after this year. He says he has too many keepers and wants upgraded reserve round draft picks. He is also one of our better players so I am suspect.

What do you all think?

Before being called up last year he was hitting .232/.322/.391 as a 24 year old in AAA. In 2017 he hit .253/.330/.455 between AA and AAA as a 23 year old. As of 4 months ago he was not among their top 30 prospects (coming into the year he'd been around ~18).

If you want to make a speculative buy based on his nice 2 month run, I can't blame you for it. $5 doesn't seem like much of a discount though, so I would not be giving up much, if anything (personally I would not buy).

Comment

I'd have to be rebuilding to make that deal unless the reserve round pick is on the late side. Agree with Ken that $5 isn't much of a discount.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks fellas.

I am a tweener in regards to rebuilding. I have some good bones, but need some cheap filler.

This is taken from a John Sickels article Sept. 2018-

A three-year starter at Sam Houston State University, O’Hearn was selected in the eighth round by the Royals in 2014. He was reasonably successful in college, hitting .292/.348/.451 as a junior, but scouts felt he didn’t tap his raw power as often as he could. That changed in pro ball, with 27 homers in A-ball in 2015 (.263/.339/.478) and 22 more bombs in High-A and Double-A in 2016 (.275/.352/.478).

He was more aggressive as a hitter in pro ball, striking out more often than in college but with the different approach boosting his isolated power. This trend continued in 2017 with 22 more homers and a .253/.330/.455 line in the high minors.

It looks like he will be starting. I like the power potential. I have Jose Ramirez and Mookie Betts to help with the OBP.

I think I can get him for a 2nd round reserve pick.

Comment

Moot point now. He was traded plus 5F Singer for a #1 draft pick (5th overall).

Sometimes the best trade is the ones we don't make.

Comment

I have him for $1 in RJEL (18-team mixed) and am considering keeping him. It's a fine risk for that price, but I'd rather have a better guy in that slot.

Comment

Working...
            X