Players You Were Wrong About...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players You Were Wrong About...

Everyone likes to talk about how much they found a player that nobody else saw, that piece of crap that turned into a "diamond". But how about the opposite? That player that you were convinced WAS a piece of crap that really turned out to be good?

Mine was Jose Peraza...20 steals, .291 average, and even a little pop with 8 homers...will he win you a league? Probably not, but he's the type of player you need to have to get to the promised land. I thought that he's be at best a reserve, and maybe in the minors...and no, I don't own him anywhere.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Markakis
    O. Herrera
    Mallex Smith
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Chacin helped win me a title last year, had an option to keep him at 10
      did not spend 1 second considering it
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Markakis
        O. Herrera
        Mallex Smith
        i think Mallex Smith finally learned the fine art of stealing bases. he's always had the speed but learned the intangible stuff. ..i think confirmation was when he stole a base off Tanaka last week. i was watching the game and Tanaka picked off 2 Rays, one at first base and another on 2nd. i always thought Mallex could hit. his minor league numbers were decent. i always thought he should've been batting at the top of the order. and that ATL should've kept him. he's a decent player. except for steals not a high ceiling, but a high floor. in the future, probably someone you can count on to give you what you expect.

Comment

J.D. Martinez
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Folty
            Franco

2 guys I stubbornly held on to through their bad years.

Comment

Luke Weaver is way better than I thought he would be.

Comment

Kept Story not expecting that he would be hitting .291 turning into one of the top SS in baseball. Picking up Freeland on FAAB early not expecting a 2.96 ERA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  J.D. Martinez
                  Low opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Low opinion?
                    Probably sellers remorse. It happens to all of us. Although some may play in a higher stakes league. And a championship takes away the sting.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Chacin helped win me a title last year, had an option to keep him at 10
                      did not spend 1 second considering it
                      I didn't believe in him either and dropped him this year after he got me a few wins. I figured i was riding out the hot streak and as soon it looked to be over i dropped him in search of a pitcher who could get me more K's. Of course he comes back with another run of good games and a career high 10K game.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Kept Story not expecting that he would be hitting .291 turning into one of the top SS in baseball. Picking up Freeland on FAAB early not expecting a 2.96 ERA.
                        I decided not to keep a $14 Story this year and ended up drafting a $13 Baez. Story ended up going to another team for $16. I think i may have come out slightly ahead on this one mostly because i gained an extra year of keeper eligibility and Baez qualifies at 3 infield positions.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Low opinion?
                          He can't field, he can't run, he won't take a walk. Yes, he has some power, but with no hit tool, will he ever get to it? And yes he had a good winter in Venezuela, but so did Jesus Guzman (also on the team). And at that time we had no objective way to evaluate his claims that he had changed his swing, nor was that an uncommon thing to hear from a struggling player.

Oops.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            He can't field, he can't run, he won't take a walk. Yes, he has some power, but with no hit tool, will he ever get to it? And yes he had a good winter in Venezuela, but so did Jesus Guzman (also on the team). And at that time we had no objective way to evaluate his claims that he had changed his swing, nor was that an uncommon thing to hear from a struggling player.

Oops.
                            Funny when the Tigers got JD off the waiver wires not even sure anybody here had heard of him. Things changed after he got here.

Here is write-up RotoWire for the 2015 season:

J.D. Martinez 2015 Preseason Outlook
                            Martinez was easily one of the biggest fantasy surprises of 2014. After being released by the Astros during spring training, Martinez was quickly signed to a minor league contract by the Tigers, who assigned him to Triple-A Toledo to begin the season. He was able to force the Tigers’ hand after just 17 games with the Mud Hens and his success carried over to the majors, as Martinez quickly took over as Detroit’s everyday left fielder. While it’s hard to argue with the strong numbers he posted, Martinez’s production was buoyed by an unsustainable .397 BABIP. He also struggled with his plate discipline, posting a 71 percent contact rate and 0.24 BB/K ratio. The odds are stacked against Martinez repeating his magical 2014 campaign, but he is a former top prospect with solid power, and it certainly won’t hurt his cause hitting behind superstars Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez. Owners will want to make sure they don’t pay for his 2014 production, but there’s still plenty of value to be had here if the price tag is right.

Comment

I’m not a big SI fan anymore, but their article on JDM was very interesting.

My four main misses in the SP tiers were Flaherty, Snell, Corbin, and Folty.

In my mixed leagues, I had two reasonably good shots at Story and passed. Other than that, I didn’t have any hideous hitting misses.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X