• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Did Kerfeld earlier.....
    So. Do him again. (Haha. Just kidding.)

Comment

• We could do a series of RP--Tekulve, Quisenberry, Hrobosky, Stanhouse, McGraw, etc.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        We could do a series of RP--Tekulve, Quisenberry, Hrobosky, Stanhouse, McGraw, etc.

J
        Bob Walk (aka The Whirly Bird)
        Roger McDowell
        Jessie Orosco

Comment

• Re: RPs, Hoyt Wilhelm is a very interesting one. Don't know if he is appropriate for this thread tho since he's a HOFer.

Comment

• Yeah, most of these guys they mentioned wouldn't "qualify."

Comment

• I can see your point. His Ugliness and Quisenberry defined the role of closer. Q should ahve been the Cy Young in 1983. Still, Tug McGraw, his cartoon and his chewing gum invention ought to work. He had a 20 year career, but mostly as a one out lefty. The Mad Hungarian was more popular than good. Don Stanhouse has the best nickname.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Yeah, most of these guys they mentioned wouldn't "qualify."
                Agree, though Hrobosky would be a good writeup.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Brad Komminsk. Only because when we started our first league before any of us could drive, we all called him "Brad Komminsk...and have a seat" and we thought we were hilarious.

Comment

• I've heard worse.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      He's trying to give us enough time to recount all of our best Dave Heaverlo memories.
                      I can't believe no one remembers Heave 'Er Low Heaverlo. One of the all-time great names for a pitcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitey View Post
                        I can't believe no one remembers Heave 'Er Low Heaverlo. One of the all-time great names for a pitcher.
                        I remember his haircut. I also believe he worked at my company a while ago. His son also starred at university of washington i think
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                          Brad Komminsk. Only because when we started our first league before any of us could drive, we all called him "Brad Komminsk...and have a seat" and we thought we were hilarious.
                          As an O's fan, I remember that he played briefly for us, and made one of the most memorable plays in Memorial Stadium history while playing for another club (Cleveland I think). He leapt above the wall in LF to seemingly take away a HR from an O's hitter but fell over the wall. The ground rules of the stadium said that it was still a HR, even tho he hung onto the ball. I think the HR ended the game.

Comment

• And we're back!

Today's Guy: Randy Milligan

I often like to go to Baseball-Reference.com and click on one of the random player pages of a player I remember, and then travel down to see the transactions and how many times this particular player was involved in deals. When I was a kid/teen, I'd get transactions from that little piece of column, usually buried on the standings page, in my local paper, and I was always pretty excited to see a trade. I only had one buddy who understood the excitement of such a minor transaction, and he was generally the only one I could discuss the minor (well, major to me) deals with. My dad was a passive baseball fan, and most of my other friends only cared about the Mets or Yankees, so they couldn't care less when the Mets traded Randy Milligan away on March 26, 1988.

Milligan was one of those players who would have fared much better in his career today than in the 80s and 90s, when his skillset was largely unappreciated. His batting eye was unparalleled for such a slugger -- this was the era of Rob Deer and Pete Incaviglia, and strikeouts were escalating. So a slugger who had more BBs than Ks was rare.

Milligan was sort of unlucky to find himself on a loaded Mets team in the middle of their dominant run, and between Keith Hernandez and Dave Magadan at 1B, there was no chance Milligan was cracking the lineup. Milligan was traded to Baltimore for Gary Carter's future replacement, Mackey Sasser, and Milligan seemingly had his shot -- but after a tough year where he lost his power, Pittsburgh dealt him to Baltimore.

Finally, the stars were aligned for Milligan, and from 1989 until 1992 hit 59 HRs with a .388 OBP, and also had more BBs than Ks over that span. By '92 however, the power began to wane and he started to bounce around, first to Cincinnati, then Cleveland, then Montreal....then the strike hit. When the players returned, Milligan was nowhere to be found. He signed a ML deal with Oakland in 1996, but never played, and that was it for Randy "Moose" Milligan.

That's Today's Guy, Randy Milligan!

Comment

And we're back!

I often like to go to Baseball-Reference.com and click on one of the random player pages of a player I remember, and then travel down to see the transactions and how many times this particular player was involved in deals. When I was a kid/teen, I'd get transactions from that little piece of column, usually buried on the standings page, in my local paper, I was always pretty excited to see a trade. I only had one buddy who understood the excitement of such a minor transaction, and he was generally the only one I could discuss the minor (well, major to me) deals with. My dad was a passive baseball fan, and most of my other friends only cared about the Mets or Yankees, so they couldn't care less when the Mets traded Randy Milligan away on March 26, 1988.

Milligan was one of those players who would have fared much better in his career today than in the 80s and 90s, when his skillset was largely unappreciated. His batting eye was unparalleled for such a slugger -- this was the era of Rob Deer and Pete Incaviglia, and strikeouts were escalating. So a slugger who had more BBs than Ks was rare.

Milligan was sort of unlucky to find himself on a loaded Mets team in the middle of their dominant run, and between Keith Hernandez and Dave Magadan at 1B, there was no chance Milligan was cracking the lineup. Milligan was traded to Baltimore for Gary Carter's future replacement, Mackey Sasser, and Milligan seemingly had his shot -- but after a tough year where he lost his power, Pittsburgh dealt him to Baltimore.

Finally, the stars were aligned for Milligan, and from 1989 until 1992 hit 59 HRs with a .388 OBP, and also had more BBs than Ks over that span. By '92 however, the power began to wane and he started to bounce around, first to Cincinnati, then Cleveland, then Montreal....then the strike hit. When the players returned, Milligan was nowhere to be found. He signed a ML deal with Oakland in 1996, but never played, and that was it for Randy "Moose" Milligan.

These days, it can feel as though we know every player’s story, past and present. But sometimes, a player slips through the cracks.

Comment

And we're back!

I often like to go to Baseball-Reference.com and click on one of the random player pages of a player I remember, and then travel down to see the transactions and how many times this particular player was involved in deals. When I was a kid/teen, I'd get transactions from that little piece of column, usually buried on the standings page, in my local paper, I was always pretty excited to see a trade. I only had one buddy who understood the excitement of such a minor transaction, and he was generally the only one I could discuss the minor (well, major to me) deals with. My dad was a passive baseball fan, and most of my other friends only cared about the Mets or Yankees, so they couldn't care less when the Mets traded Randy Milligan away on March 26, 1988.

As an O's fan, I have fond memories of Milligan. He had some good years for the O's, altho he was known as a mistake hitter. He also seemed like a good guy. I remember that the O's traded a pitcher name Peter Blohm to get him. He was never heard from again, but his son, Tyler Blohm, stands to be either the #1 or #2 starter for the U of MD next year. I've seen him pitch several times.
                                Last edited by rhd; 10-23-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X