Roto Baseball Pet Peeve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto Baseball Pet Peeve...

Yeah, we've all got them, some more than others.

Mine is communication in trade talks, or lack thereof. I throw out an offer, and wait forever for a response, if I ever get one. Or I get someone contacting me regarding a potential deal, I respond asking for a potential framework, or at least who the other party MIGHT think is a fair value for them to give for the player they want.

And the...nothing, for days, sometimes longer. And year, I understand that real life is more important than our little playground, but carve out 5 minutes a day to deal with it...it's really not that hard to do. Just respond...that's all.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I'm mostly in agreement, but this whole position is based on the assumption that it only takes 5 minutes to decide whether or not to do a trade. I take a lot longer than that, and out of respect for the people who took the time to craft an offer, I'm going to take the time to consider it fully. You can interpret that as apathy if you want, and I'm sure it IS that sometimes, but it isn't always.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      I'm mostly in agreement, but this whole position is based on the assumption that it only takes 5 minutes to decide whether or not to do a trade. I take a lot longer than that, and out of respect for the people who took the time to craft an offer, I'm going to take the time to consider it fully. You can interpret that as apathy if you want, and I'm sure it IS that sometimes, but it isn't always.
      No, the whole position is based upon SEEING the offer, and simply responding "I'll look at it and get back to you ASAP".

It's not whether to decide on the offer then and there, but simply to let the other party know that you received it, and will look at it.

And then getting back to the person in a timely fashion...that's all.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Unsolicited trade offers. This is rampant in my AL league on CBS. Owners send offers out-of-the-blue offering guys on their bench for guys in my starting lineup.

I have told some of them I prefer to discuss via email prior to getting an offer on the site.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I agree with both your points. To Dane's point, some trades are more complex and take more time to figure out. I have one open now - I've been offered a pretty good ransom in my AL-only league for Vlad jr., who, once activated, I can keep at 5 for two years and 10 for one more. I, admittedly, have a serious man-crush on Vlad jr. and only want to deal him if it's a league-winning deal. So, yeah, this one's going to take more time than the usual accept/counter/refuse answer.

So...I did send an email to the owner who made the offer and told him I'd need a while to make a decision.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Unsolicited trade offers. This is rampant in my AL league on CBS. Owners send offers out-of-the-blue offering guys on their bench for guys in my starting lineup.

I have told some of them I prefer to discuss via email prior to getting an offer on the site.
            Speaking of which...i did respond to your message.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

A lot of owners don't really like to be the one who makes the good offer, even though they want someone you have. They will throw out offers, then after you reject it they respond with, "What do you want for so and so?" The way I look at this is that if you want a player of mine that wasn't even on the trading block to begin with, then make a great first offer. I shouldn't have to be the one who counters with a good offer. That's my take on trading. It's the oldest trading ploy in the books, to throw out BS offers then start conversations in order to get the guy you're wanting a player from to make the FIRST "real" offer. I believe if a guy wants my player and he wasn't on the trading block, then make me a good first offer. I know that when I want a player I go after him hard and with a solid offer to start. I make a lot of trades that way.
              Last edited by Roy Hobbs; 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                I agree with both your points. To Dane's point, some trades are more complex and take more time to figure out. I have one open now - I've been offered a pretty good ransom in my AL-only league for Vlad jr., who, once activated, I can keep at 5 for two years and 10 for one more. I, admittedly, have a serious man-crush on Vlad jr. and only want to deal him if it's a league-winning deal. So, yeah, this one's going to take more time than the usual accept/counter/refuse answer.

So...I did send an email to the owner who made the offer and told him I'd need a while to make a decision.
                See? That's just good trade etiquette...respond and let the other party know the offer was received.

What's the offer BTW? I should be able to decide it for you...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  What's the offer BTW? I should be able to decide it for you...
                  Correa and KSeager, both unkeepable for, in essence, Vlad Jr. Both Correa and KSeager could help me, for sure, but I don't know if they're enough to put me over the top given this would be the first (likely of many this year) dump deals. And the other factor is, the manager I'd be dealing Vladdy to is the top manager in the league so I know I'd be eating crow the next three seasons that Vladdy dismantles AL pitching. Which will assuredly happen if I deal him.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I agree with you (gulp!), that's not a deal that'll win the league for you. And I LOVE Correa...Seager is just a guy...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Correa and KSeager, both unkeepable for, in essence, Vlad Jr. Both Correa and KSeager could help me, for sure, but I don't know if they're enough to put me over the top given this would be the first (likely of many this year) dump deals. And the other factor is, the manager I'd be dealing Vladdy to is the top manager in the league so I know I'd be eating crow the next three seasons that Vladdy dismantles AL pitching. Which will assuredly happen if I deal him.
                      Don't do it. If you wait you will do better...or maybe even get to keep him.

Comment

I'm pretty good about responding to trades offer made to me. Sometimes I can't reply right away i.e. not at home, busy at work etc. I had one offer before the season began and saw it on my phone. I was going to respond to it when I got home but the owner went ahead and made a deal with another team. What got me ticked off was this was Father and Son. Son made me the offer and about and hour later he made a deal with his Dad. There was nothing wrong with the trade they made but I wasn't given a chance nor did I even receive an email back from the Son stating an apology or something. I got nada. Stomp in our 12TO league is a fast dealer also. By the time I read his email of some players he was interested in on my team he already made couple of deals. Probably for the best. Sorry but I don't check my emails every 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          No, the whole position is based upon SEEING the offer, and simply responding "I'll look at it and get back to you ASAP".

It's not whether to decide on the offer then and there, but simply to let the other party know that you received it, and will look at it.

And then getting back to the person in a timely fashion...that's all.
                          Okay. I guess I see your point. A quick response is polite.

Comment

The better the offer the faster the response.

Comment

My peeve is offers where people say 'Look at my team and see if there's anyone you want'. They're soliciting me for a deal but they want me to do the work of figuring out who to trade for who. This I consider to be lazy, obnoxious, inconsiderate and very poor etiquette. And if I point this out to them in a polite way, or plain dont respond at all, then somehow I'm the bad guy. Sometimes I'd like to do away w all trading, like the NFBC, because IMHO people dont do it the right way.

Comment

Working...
                              X