Who Is The D'backs Closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is The D'backs Closer?

I have Bradley at $6 going into tomorrow auction. I want to back when up but there is Boxberger and Hirano also in the mix. Lovullo has not tipped his hat on not only who it is going to be but none of them have received a save situation or I think finished up a game. Personally I'm thinking Boxberger gets first crack with Hirano pitching 7th and Bradley the main set-up pitcher. It could also be a committee on this. So any insight on this would help. Also I'm thinking that targeting Boxberger would be the better of the 2 choices between him and Hirano. In a 10 team 5x5 league how much would you spend on him?

I agree with your assessment. I think Boxberger likely closes, with Bradley playing the role of super set up main, and Hirano in the 7th. since you have Bradley, I think Boxberger is the logical guy to get as his handcuff.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Boxberger, and in your situation I'd go up to $10 for him.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Have to say I'm surprised at these responses. Everything I've seen has Bradley as the closer.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          Have to say I'm surprised at these responses. Everything I've seen has Bradley as the closer.
          This is from RotoWire:

Manager Torey Lovullo said earlier this month that the competition to replace the departed Fernando Rodney as closer was "wide open," and little clarity on that front has since emerged. Like Bradley, his top competitors for the ninth-inning role, Brad Boxberger and Yoshihisa Hirano, haven't received a save opportunity or finished a game, making it difficult to determine who Lovullo favors at the back of the bullpen. After submitting a stellar 1.73 ERA and 79:21 K:BB in 73 frames for the Diamondbacks a season ago, Bradley will still be worth rostering in most settings even if he ends up returning to a multi-inning setup role in 2018.

Comment

It is certainly possible, maybe even likely, that Bradley closes the majority of games this year. But if I owned Bradley, I'd certainly try to get Boxberger, who I think could easily end up named closer ahead of the better Bradley. The OP owns Bradley already, so spending to get Boxberger makes lots of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              It is certainly possible, maybe even likely, that Bradley closes the majority of games this year. But if I owned Bradley, I'd certainly try to get Boxberger, who I think could easily end up named closer ahead of the better Bradley. The OP owns Bradley already, so spending to get Boxberger makes lots of sense.
              So why not take that $10, put a couple more with it, and try to grab a closer for another team? Then he could wind up with two closers. Getting Boxberger nets him, at most, a single closer and a setup guy.

I never have liked the handcuff theory unless you can get the other half of the handcuff for a buck or two. Just my two cents.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                So why not take that $10, put a couple more with it, and try to grab a closer for another team? Then he could wind up with two closers. Getting Boxberger nets him, at most, a single closer and a setup guy.

I never have liked the handcuff theory unless you can get the other half of the handcuff for a buck or two. Just my two cents.
                To be clear, I wasn't advocating paying $10 for Boxberger or any handcuff, although since I think Boxberger has a coin flip's chance of closing I could see paying close to that in an only league. I don't think he will have to pay more than half that, though. I got Boxberger for a buck in my 14 team mixed league. The guy who had Bradley didn't bother bidding two.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-24-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

To be clear, I wasn't advocating paying $10 for Boxberger or any handcuff, although since I think Boxberger has a coin flip's chance of closing I could see paying close to that in an only league. I don't think he will have to pay more than half that, though. I got Boxberger for a buck in my 14 team mixed league. The guy who had Bradley didn't bother bidding two.
                  Right, it was someone else who mentioned ten bucks, which raised the question.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    Right, it was someone else who mentioned ten bucks, which raised the question.
                    If you want to move this to a more general strategy question, I'd say an advantage of paying for top two relievers on the same team, especially two guys who have the upside to get you more than just saves, is that you have a high chance of getting that team's saves for the year. It is arguably a better strategy, or at least a less risky one, than spending the same money on two low end type shaky closers who could lose their jobs, and don't give you much besides saves.

Comment

Boxberger naked closer for now. Might not last, but enjoy it while it does.

Comment

Ooops, that'll learn me.

Comment

Boxberger naked closer for now. Might not last, but enjoy it while it does.
                          I think I'd enjoy it more if he wasn't naked, but to each his own! (disclaimer - "not that there's anything.... wrong... with that")

Comment

Can't tell if this is arbitration shenanigans or just a manager being smart about using his best reliever. Either way, doesn't seem like Bradley will get double-digit saves this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I think I'd enjoy it more if he wasn't naked, but to each his own! (disclaimer - "not that there's anything.... wrong... with that")
                              Ha, my phone typing strikes again. I think that would be some kind of uniform violation, but at least it would be hard to accuse him of hiding foreign substances to doctor the ball.

In all seriousness, this move isn't that surprising given how well Bradley did in the more flexible role he had last year. I come on the side of this being a manager being smart about how to use his best reliever. Of course, that plan might change if Boxberger craps the bed, or more likely, gets hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X