AL reserve rounds rank 'em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL reserve rounds rank 'em

Just starting the reserve rounds for my AL only. We get 8 picks, starting at $8 and going down to $1 in a snake draft. Can keep at this salary for up to 3 years (decide each year, no long term contracts). How would you rank the following mix of prospects and leftover MLB types for fantasy value, considering this year and keeper/trade value? Who stands out for targeting with my first few picks? (grouping is just for my own clarity)

Tier 1 prospects:
    Eloy Jiminez
    Kyle Tucker
    Francisco Mejia
    Bo Bichette
    Anthonly Alford
    Franklin Barreto
    Willy Adames
    AJ Puk

Tier 2 prospects:
    Stephen Gonsalvez
    Forrest Whitley
    Jorge Mateo
    Yohander Mendez

MLB leftover hitters:

Pujols
    Ed. Escobar
    Matt Duffy
    Brad Miller
    Adam Lind
    Matt Davidson
    VMart
    Dan Vogelbach
    Colby Rasmus
    Jon Jay
    Napoli
    Valencia
    Zach Granite
    Clint Frazier

MLB leftover pitchers:
    Mike Leake
    Tyler Skaggs
    Carlos Rodon
    Kyle Gibson
    Kendall Graveman
    Erasmo Ramirez
    Matt Andriese
    Juan Nicasio
    Matt Bush
    Yus. Petit
    Tommy Kahnle
    Matt Moore
    Parker Bridwell
    Keynan Middleton

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
    Just starting the reserve rounds for my AL only. We get 8 picks, starting at $8 and going down to $1 in a snake draft. Can keep at this salary for up to 3 years (decide each year, no long term contracts). How would you rank the following mix of prospects and leftover MLB types for fantasy value, considering this year and keeper/trade value? Who stands out for targeting with my first few picks? (grouping is just for my own clarity)

Tier 1 prospects:
    Eloy Jiminez
    Kyle Tucker
    Francisco Mejia
    Bo Bichette
    Anthonly Alford
    Franklin Barreto
    Willy Adames
    AJ Puk

Tier 2 prospects:
    Stephen Gonsalvez
    Forrest Whitley
    Jorge Mateo
    Yohander Mendez
    [B]
    10 team league?
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

yes, 10-teams. And players had to be on (or projected to be on) the 25-man roster to be eligible at auction.

Comment

Whitley is tier 1. Both Sickels and Fangraphs have him as the best non-Ohtani pitching prospect. So unless you're really heavily valuing potential to be in the majors this year, he should be up there.

Mejia might not be tier 1 just because of their screwing around with what position he'll play.

I'd have Jimenez, Tucker, Bichette, Barreto, Whitley, Puk as tier 1. I like Brad Miller and I've seen some FG chats where they talk positively about Kyle Gibson.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks - I was valuing MLB potential for this year, and also Whitley is suspended 50 games, right? So that, along with HOU likely contending with a great rotation will set him back a bit such that I doubt we'll see him in 2018 at all. Re: Bichette, I have to wonder if he's really unlikely to play this year, would I consider making him a $8 keeper going into 2019? I'll probably have better options than that, but who knows.

Comment

Tier 1 prospects:
            Eloy Jiminez
            Kyle Tucker
            Francisco Mejia
            Bo Bichette
            Anthonly Alford
            Franklin Barreto
            Willy Adames
            AJ Puk

Tier 2 prospects:
            Stephen Gonsalvez
            Forrest Whitley
            Jorge Mateo
            Yohander Mendez

MLB leftover hitters:

Pujols
            Ed. Escobar
            Matt Duffy
            Brad Miller
            Adam Lind
            Matt Davidson
            VMart
            Dan Vogelbach
            Colby Rasmus
            Jon Jay
            Napoli
            Valencia
            Zach Granite
            Clint Frazier

MLB leftover pitchers:
            Mike Leake
            Tyler Skaggs
            Carlos Rodon
            Kyle Gibson
            Kendall Graveman
            Erasmo Ramirez
            Matt Andriese
            Juan Nicasio
            Matt Bush
            Yus. Petit
            Tommy Kahnle
            Matt Moore
            Parker Bridwell
            Keynan Middleton
            Well, for this year, you can drop most of the top prospects. Mejia, Baretto, Adames, and Puk all have a chance to come up, with Puk having the most upside of that group.

I like Duffy, Miller Escobar, and Davidson for different reasons, all can have a positive, and negative, effect on your season long roster. Leake, Gibson, Bush, Kahnle, Bridewell, and Middleton can also do the same.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              Whitley is tier 1. Both Sickels and Fangraphs have him as the best non-Ohtani pitching prospect. So unless you're really heavily valuing potential to be in the majors this year, he should be up there.

Mejia might not be tier 1 just because of their screwing around with what position he'll play.

I'd have Jimenez, Tucker, Bichette, Barreto, Whitley, Puk as tier 1. I like Brad Miller and I've seen some FG chats where they talk positively about Kyle Gibson.
              Another vote for Kyle Gibson as a serviceable fantasy starter in 2018.

I don't want Pujols as my CI unless he's $1, but as a bench bat he will add some counting stats and won't hurt your AVG too much when you need a fill-in. He may even get some pointers from Ohtani. Or do I have that backwards...

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

To clarify - I wasn't only valuing 2018 contribution potential, but just weighting that. And the $8 salary for my first pick doesn't really cost me anything, it's just that player's salary going forward, so if I keep him next year it will cost me $8 of budget. So if I don't think Bo Bichette (eg) is going to either a) contribute at all this year, or b) be worth keeping for $8 in 2019, he's probably not worth taking (yet).

Comment

To clarify - I wasn't only valuing 2018 contribution potential, but just weighting that. And the $8 salary for my first pick doesn't really cost me anything, it's just that player's salary going forward, so if I keep him next year it will cost me $8 of budget. So if I don't think Bo Bichette (eg) is going to either a) contribute at all this year, or b) be worth keeping for $8 in 2019, he's probably not worth taking (yet).
                  I think Tucker and Barretto are the most likely to be worth keeping at 8, maybe Eloy too. And I'd say Mateo, Puk, Mejia and Bichette would also be worth keeping at a lower price next year (I think in that order). Clint Frazier could be in that mix somewhere too - what do the Yankees do in '19?

Guys for this year, I like Eduardo Escobar, Pujols, Rasmus, Gibson, Petit, Kahnle, and Nicasio. Maybe Vmart too.

Comment

Tier 1 prospects:
                    Eloy Jiminez
                    Bo Bichette
                    AJ Puk

Tier 2 prospects:
                    Forrest Whitley
                    Jorge Mateo

MLB leftover hitters:

Pujols
                    Matt Duffy
                    Dan Vogelbach

MLB leftover pitchers:

Kyle Gibson
                    Juan Nicasio
                    Tommy Kahnle
                    Matt Moore
                    Keynan Middleton

Comment

So far I've picked:
                      Kyle Tucker $8
                      Franklin Barreto $7
                      Albert Pujols $6

Got another pick coming up. Go with Forrest Whitley or a more useful Petit/Nicasio/Kahnle type?

Comment

I mean, if you don't need a good MR right now, I can't imagine that you can't trade Whitley for a middle reliever later if you wanted to for some reason, but you know your league dynamics better than I do.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

You make a good point. Alas, Whitley was taken right before me.

Comment

Did get Mateo later on though:
                            Kyle Tucker $8
                            Franklin Barreto $7
                            Albert Pujols $6
                            Juan Nicasio $5
                            Jon Jay $4
                            Jorge Mateo $3
                            ... $2
                            ... $1

Looking to pick from the below for the last two. Who'd you take?
                            Andriese
                            Tomlin
                            Matt Bush
                            Petit
                            Mitch Garver
                            Tommy Kahnle
                            Keynan Middleton
                            Zach Granite
                            Charlie Tilson

Comment

Working...
                            X