Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Mike Shannon, the longtime Cardinal player and broadcaster, died at age 83. RIP.

"Annnnnnd that pitch is right down Central, steeeerike three."

Comment

• Vida Blue, ace of the early 1970s Oakland A's dynasty, died at age 73. RIP.

Comment

Vida Blue, ace of the early 1970s Oakland A's dynasty, died at age 73. RIP.

Way too young.

Comment

• Rick Hummel, the longtime St. Louis Post-Dispatch baseball columnist who was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame when he won the 2007 JG Taylor Spink Award, died at age 77. RIP.

Comment

• Mike Young, an outfielder for the Orioles in the 1980s who hit 28 HRs in 1985, died at age 63. RIP.

Comment

Mike Young, an outfielder for the Orioles in the 1980s who hit 28 HRs in 1985, died at age 63. RIP.

As an O's fan, I remember Mike Young well. He had a great half-season one year and everyone thought he was going to be a superstar. Dropped off dramatically after that. I think he still holds the O's record for RBI in a month, which I think he set during that great half-season. RIP.

Comment

• Don Hood, a journeyman pitcher for 5 teams from 1973-1983, died at age 73. RIP.

image.png

Comment

Don Hood, a journeyman pitcher for 5 teams from 1973-1983, died at age 73. RIP.

image.png
                  I thought that I recalled him pitching for the O's and after looking him up, sure enough, he was an O's prospect and first pitched in MLB for the O's. Also pitched for Cleveland, the Yanks, St Louis and KC.

Comment

• George Frazier, a journeyman pitcher for 5 teams from 1978-1987, including as a member of the 1981 NY Yankees and 1987 Minnesota Twins World Series teams, and an announcer for the Colorado Rockies from 1998-2015, died at age 68. RIP.

Attached Files

Comment

• Mike Ivie, a 1B who was the first overall pick of the 1970 Amateur Draft and who played for 5 teams from 1970-1983, died at age 70. RIP.

Comment

• Alex Cole, former outfielder who stole 40 bases in 63 games while batting .300 during his rookie season with the Indians in 1990. He also played for the Pirates, Rockies, Twins, and Red Sox during his 7 major league seasons. He was 58 years old. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Pat Corrales, a longtime player and manager of the Rangers, Phillies & Indians, died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Alex Cole, former outfielder who stole 40 bases in 63 games while batting .300 during his rookie season with the Indians in 1990. He also played for the Pirates, Rockies, Twins, and Red Sox during his 7 major league seasons. He was 58 years old. RIP.
                            Cripes!!

Cole stole five bases in one game on August 1, 1990[1] and, known as a stolen base threat (Cole ranked fourth in the American League in 1990 with 40 stolen bases despite playing in only 63 games), the Indians in 1991 cited his speed as a prime reason for moving the outfield walls of Cleveland Municipal Stadium back. This effort, however, resulted in the Indians hitting only 22 home runs at home for the year.

Ouch.
                            In 2002 Cole pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiring to possess heroin with intent to distribute. He was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Mr. Oriole, Brooks Robinson...gone today at age of 86. RIP brooks-robinson.jpg
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum remembers Brooks Robinson:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X