Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martin Prado To Open On The DL; Is Brian Anderson Now Worth A $2 Flyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Prado To Open On The DL; Is Brian Anderson Now Worth A $2 Flyer?

34-year-old Martin Prado, limited to 37 games last year with multiple knee and hamstring problems and ultimately KO'ed by arthroscopic surgery, is still experiencing pain and discomfort, and will miss "at least 2 weeks" to open the season.

Meanwhile, Brian Anderson, who was unimpressive filling in for Prado last year, is tearing up spring training, and was supposedly on the verge of winning the Miami 3B outright before the Prado injury. The obvious question is: What happens when Prado returns? I guess it depends on what Anderson is doing whenever Prado is ready to come back.

Any guesses on what playing time Anderson gets this year, and what he might do with it? I have an option to keep him for $2 in my NL-only/ 4x4 /11 team/ $260 budget/ auction-style keeper league. He profiles as a medium-floor/ medium-ceiling modest contributor this year, based on what I've read. It feels like a no-brainer keep for $2, but can he roll up enough meaningful stats to justify gumming up a roster spot for the auction? I already have $12 Travis Shaw at 3B, and if I keep Anderson at the corner, that pretty much takes me out of the bidding for Nolan Arenado and Justin Turner. On the flip side, that opens up money to go after the plethora of elite 1B power guys available in our auction this year. But, I'm already keeping a bunch of cheap "meh" guys (Altherr, Panik, Barnhart) for that purpose. So...

What do you do with Brian Anderson at $2?

Thoughts?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

You may get varying opinions on this.

I would probably keep him as he can contribute with power and isn't a major drain on avg. In Miami he may hit in the 5 or 6 hole if he has a decent start, improving his RBI chances. Prado is versatile and is far from a lock to automatically take back the 3B role on his return.

Comment

tough call but I would probably put him back in the draft and rebuy if you have to...doesnt make sense to me to take yourself out of the running for the 3B, even if you are just price enforcing with the intention of buying Anderson later.

Comment

Anybody else?

The voices in my head are saying "Keep the CI slot open for the auction." I do have the most money to spend, so maybe there's my reason to ditch him and keep my options open. I'd be sick if somebody else got Nolan Arenado for $36 because I had Brian Anderson stinking up my corner.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Anybody else?

The voices in my head are saying "Keep the CI slot open for the auction." I do have the most money to spend, so maybe there's my reason to ditch him and keep my options open. I'd be sick if somebody else got Nolan Arenado for $36 because I had Brian Anderson stinking up my corner.
          You can always find a spot for a cheap hitter...CI, U, whatever. I doubt that you'll let having Anderson keep you from buying Arranado. Keep Anderson...he'll get you a cheap 20 homers and not kill your average.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

can you trade him for a similarly meh player at a different position? an owner with no 1B-3Bs and several borderline cheap SPs could be a good partner.

if that's not possible, I'd let him go. aside from the opportunity cost of the roster spot, there's no way he is a bidding-war guy. maybe you have to pay 4 (if you have room for him late), but so what.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

If he can play, Prado will most certainly take the job upon his return from the DL, even if only to showcase him to other teams. MIA is in full sale mode and he has to go and he's worth nothing sitting on the bench. If Anderson has value, it will be before Prado returns and after he is traded. I suppose if your league is deep and you can get the both of them on the cheap, that might be worth something.

But not very much.

Comment

Anderson went for 7 today to Gardner in NL Tout Wars, though when he was nominated and positional needs of his obviously are factors
                Prado went for a buck fwiw
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                X