Good read on Samardzija here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good read on Samardzija here

I have him in both NL-Only leagues and in 2 other 15 team mixed leagues so far this winter, so this makes me happy.

agreed, interesting read
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Great read - thanks, Jason!
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd probably target him, but 3/5 of my leagues are Bay Area leagues in which Giants NEVER go for cheap, and one league is the RJEL and everybody in the league just read that. This is why I've never owned Buster Posey or Madison Bumgarner, expect through trades.

Comment

I've been offered him in my NL 5x5 10 team league but turned the offer down. He is $12 but I truly think unless those HR are cut down he will always be the big tease. Also being 33 one has to think age could catch up to him soon. It was a good article but unless he falls into the single digits and I'm not touching him.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
            I've been offered him in my NL 5x5 10 team league but turned the offer down. He is $12 but I truly think unless those HR are cut down he will always be the big tease. Also being 33 one has to think age could catch up to him soon. It was a good article but unless he falls into the single digits and I'm not touching him.
            Are you shying away from Scherzer too? He is 34 but to me, he is safer than the younger Kershaw. To me, early 30s is not a red flag, unless the player has shown age related decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Are you shying away from Scherzer too? He is 34 but to me, he is safer than the younger Kershaw. To me, early 30s is not a red flag, unless the player has shown age related decline.
              Every year it seems like Samardzija is going to breakout and he doesn't so why at 33 is he going to now suddenly reach that breakout season. He walks less batters last season than ever and gave up more HR than ever. Looks to me like a trade off. I think what you see is what you are going to get from him an ERA north of 4, decent whip and K with wins around 10 or so. The article by Pollack is very good and maybe he will be able to put it together. this season. As far as his age goes he is at the point in his career where things can happen. He has logged over 1400 IP and has been a very durable starter so yeah there is nothing shown. Not opposed to owning him but I'm not getting into a bidding war with another owner.

Comment

I guess my Scherzer question was derailing the thread, but I am curious about perceived risk for him, and your comment on Shark's age, when he is younger than Scherzer, got me curious on if folks are starting to get wary of Scherzer. I already own Shark at a decent price, but want to land an ace in my auction, and I'm having a hard time ranking Scherzer, Sale, and Kershaw.

They all have such elite upside, so I'm trying to assess them based on risk. Scherzer is the oldest, but it is hard for me to commit to him being the riskiest. Kershaw has his back issues, and Sale has tended to fade, and since the minors, so many experts thought his mechanics would lead to his arm falling off. Just wondering how risky Scherzer is, and how risky he is perceived to be in relation to those other aces.

Comment

Being in the 30s doesn't mean red flags but it is going to hit at some point so that has to play somewhat in the bidding process. Scherzer beside being an elite pitcher has been healthy for the most part although last season he did have some minor injuries but still got 200 IP and like The Shark he has been very dependable but has logged about 1900 IP in his career. I don't think it is shying away from obtaining players in their 30s but not to go overboard during the bidding.

Comment

Every year it seems like Samardzija is going to breakout and he doesn't so why at 33 is he going to now suddenly reach that breakout season. He walks less batters last season than ever and gave up more HR than ever. Looks to me like a trade off. I think what you see is what you are going to get from him an ERA north of 4, decent whip and K with wins around 10 or so. The article by Pollack is very good and maybe he will be able to put it together. this season. As far as his age goes he is at the point in his career where things can happen. He has logged over 1400 IP and has been a very durable starter so yeah there is nothing shown. Not opposed to owning him but I'm not getting into a bidding war with another owner.
                    Yep.This is what keeps me from the going rate of Samardzija.

He went for $21 in our NL only 12 teamer last year. Most of the studs were kept. We have a reserve round draft after the auction. He can be had for a draft pick upgrade for that portion of our team building. He has been on the trade block for at least 4 weeks.

The fact that Kershaw, Bumgarner, and Scherzer are back in the auction certainly has something to do with it.

Comment

From rotoworld:

Jeff Samardzija took it on the chin Thursday, surrendering five hits and five runs over 3 2/3 innings in the Giants’ Cactus League loss to the Padres.

He issued three free passes while adding a pair of strikeouts. Samardzija was humming right along until the third inning when he gave up three homers in a span of six batters. It’s been a disastrous spring for the right-hander, who sports a miserable 10.64 ERA over four Cactus League appearances. Samardzija has now let up six long balls over his last two outings.

I wonder how cheap he will go at our auction a week from Sunday?

Comment

He was kept in the draft for tonight 12TO for $19. I'm sure the owner is saying it only spring training, it's only spring training.

Comment

In my Bay Area NL-only draft last night, Samardzija went for went $20. Much of the best pitching was available, which pushed prices down a bit.

Other notables:
                          Kershaw $34
                          Cueto $22
                          deGrom $28
                          Bumgarner $32
                          Darvish $23
                          Arrieta $20
                          Quintana $20
                          Strasberg $30
                          Grienke $26
                          Roark $17

Comment

Kershaw seems extremely cheap compared to the other prices

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Kershaw seems extremely cheap compared to the other prices
                              That's what I thought... when I landed him. Scherzer was kept at $38, but as you can see, most of the top tier was going back in. I figured I could land some big fish at reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X