Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the players you aren't touching this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the players you aren't touching this year?

The flip side to the thread about players people will spend a couple of extra bucks for. Other than just crappy players who nobody should go for, who scares you enough that they won't end up on your roster? (I can post this because I don't care if my leaguemates know who I won't buy, lol).

Here are mine:

Jose Quintana (SP, CHC) His K rate from last year is unsustainable. He's a solid pitcher, but not enough swinging strikes to keep that rate up. He'll go for way more than I would be winning to pay.

Carlos Rodon (SP, CWS) Apparently he's already hurt. Great talent, but he wouldn't be the first guy to blow out his arm without getting there. But there is so much upside, someone will pay way more than he is worth.

Eric Thames (1B/OF, MIL) His second half last year was scary bad. If he starts poorly, Braun could move to first to get Domingo Santana in the lineup. I'm out--and my main team needs cheap power.

Tim Beckham (SS, BAL) Amazing season last year. I just don't buy it continuing.

Danny Salazar (SP, CLE) Already has a minor injury apparently. Amazing stuff, but still has very little clue where it is going.

Kendrys Morales (DH, TOR) He had a nice run, but I think I see a fork sticking out of him.

Shoehei Ohtani (SP/DH, LAA) This one has a caveat---I am all in on him in daily transaction leagues, but avoiding in weekly transaction league. He's too much fun in daily leagues, but in weekly leagues he is completely useless as a hitter and won't have any two-start weeks as a pitcher. He's still worth a decent amount as a pitcher in weekly leagues, but not nearly as much as he will go for.

Jose Peraza (2B/SS, CIN) He's way too dependent on BABIP to avoid sucking, and the second he does, Sentzler can come up, moving Suarez to SS and Peraza to the bench.

Brandon Belt (1B, SFG) The lineup will be better, but his problems continue. He's a lefty power hitter in a park that kills lefty power. I'll buy when he goes elsewhere.

So, who are you avoiding this year?

Any Angels closer as long as Mike Scioscia is still the manager. He could have Kenley Jansen in his bullpen and it would still be a closer-by-committee. I'm not putting myself through that again.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Any Angels closer as long as Mike Scioscia is still the manager. He could have Kenley Jansen in his bullpen and it would still be a closer-by-committee. I'm not putting myself through that again.
      That's a good one, but do the Angels have anyone in the bullpen that anyone will actually pay real draft dollars for? I would love for Bedrock's kid to show he can do it, but I think that ship has sailed.

Comment

Mikhail (spelling?) Franco. Tired of his gig after a few years of drinking the cool-aid. After his shenanigans in winter ball this year it just seems that he's not serious about realizing his potential. Would not surprise me if he's shipped out somewhere by July 1. Wasted talent.

Comment

Only Cubs hitters I'd want are Bryzzo & Contreras. Too much uncertainty regarding PT for the rest.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Only Cubs hitters I'd want are Bryzzo & Contreras. Too much uncertainty regarding PT for the rest.
            I'll bid $75 for Anthony Kris Bryzzo, please.

I agree with cavebird on Thames, Peraza and Belt, and with Harmon on Franco. I'll work on some more this afternoon during our ice storm.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yasiel Puig - I just cant do it...again. Between him and Kemp you might get a good player I guess.

Eric Thames - agree with the above...he dropped off a cliff last year.

Jon Gray - I am old school about my COL SPs

Adrian Beltre - if last year's whole 2-week injury that turned into a 2-month injury thing (twice I think) doesnt scare you away...

Mark Trumbo - The power stroke seems to have eluded him, so what's left?

Hanley Ramirez - I am sensing a trend here...

Adrian Gonzalez - Stick a fork in him.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                Mikhail (spelling?) Franco. Tired of his gig after a few years of drinking the cool-aid. After his shenanigans in winter ball this year it just seems that he's not serious about realizing his potential. Would not surprise me if he's shipped out somewhere by July 1. Wasted talent.
                May be something that will work with Franco or not, but Carlos Santana has taken it upon himself to mentor Franco this year; early reports around here indicate Franco may actually be listening this time. He knows this is his last chance.
                Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                  May be something that will work with Franco or not, but Carlos Santana has taken it upon himself to mentor Franco this year; early reports around here indicate Franco may actually be listening this time. He knows this is his last chance.
                  Scott, thanks for posting this.

I kind of like Franco as a sleeper this year if I can get him cheap enough.

He is still only 25 years old. His contact rate is very good. His fly ball rate is good as well as his exit velocity. He can't take a walk...yet.

Harmon, I don't blame you for not wanting Maikel Franco. I may end up with egg on my face if I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Scott, thanks for posting this.

I kind of like Franco as a sleeper this year if I can get him cheap enough.

He is still only 25 years old. His contact rate is very good. His fly ball rate is good as well as his exit velocity. He can't take a walk...yet.

Harmon, I don't blame you for not wanting Maikel Franco. I may end up with egg on my face if I do.
                    If I hadn't had him the last 2 years, I'd probably be more open minded, but it's tough after you pay fair market value+ and watch him closely every game. His attitude has been very bad, keeps repeating the same bad approach over and over. This Santana angle is interesting tho, could be exactly what he needs (coming from another player). I know Matt Stairs had huge hopes in turning him around, but it just went nowhere.

Comment

No, Matt Stairs went somewhere else as a result of the coaching change. I actually saw Franco paying attention when Matt worked on some aspect of his hitting. He tried but soon went back to his old ways. He is not a jerk of a player, he is respectful; he just seems to have a limited attention span. When he is paying attention and doing as he is taught, the ball just explodes off his bat. And I disagree, based on close observation since he came up, that he is not serious about improvement. He really seems to try, but keeps falling back into his old rut. He is one of those players who should have been kept longer in the minors to hone his skills, but the team was so bad that they were almost forced to bring up the hot young player to appease the fan base. They did Franco no favors.
                      Santana as a well-respected fellow Dominican may surprise everyone and get Franco focused and keep him that way. All reports say they are constantly together and their lockers were placed side-by-side by request. Add in that new manager Kapler is definitely not the old-school guy that Mackanin was; Kapler has the buzz that he is a motivator and will treat everyone just a little different in their approach to learning. We'll see how that works out, but I suspect in Franco's case it may be a good thing.
                      I finally traded Franco at the end of last year, with an offer I couldn't refuse, but I just may bid for him in a buy-low situation. He has ability.
                      Bearin' up!

Comment

Higher priced guys I'll only take at a steep discount: Miguel Cabrera, Miguel Sano, AJ Pollock, Jake Lamb, Starling Marte, and Ryan Zimmerman. And Clayton Kershaw. Back injuries scare me.

Guys I won't touch: Tulo, Devon Travis, Eric Thames, Mark Trumbo
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

After drafting Belt the last two season I won't go after him. He frustrates me beyond belief fitting the definition of insanity. I swear if I end up getting him a third time I will commit myself.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Higher priced guys I'll only take at a steep discount: Miguel Cabrera, Miguel Sano, AJ Pollock, Jake Lamb, Starling Marte, and Ryan Zimmerman. And Clayton Kershaw. Back injuries scare me.

Guys I won't touch: Tulo, Devon Travis, Eric Thames, Mark Trumbo
                            Some things never change. Word is Tulo or somebody in front office already wondering if tulo is going to be healthy for opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                              No, Matt Stairs went somewhere else as a result of the coaching change. I actually saw Franco paying attention when Matt worked on some aspect of his hitting. He tried but soon went back to his old ways. He is not a jerk of a player, he is respectful; he just seems to have a limited attention span. When he is paying attention and doing as he is taught, the ball just explodes off his bat. And I disagree, based on close observation since he came up, that he is not serious about improvement. He really seems to try, but keeps falling back into his old rut. He is one of those players who should have been kept longer in the minors to hone his skills, but the team was so bad that they were almost forced to bring up the hot young player to appease the fan base. They did Franco no favors.
                              Santana as a well-respected fellow Dominican may surprise everyone and get Franco focused and keep him that way. All reports say they are constantly together and their lockers were placed side-by-side by request. Add in that new manager Kapler is definitely not the old-school guy that Mackanin was; Kapler has the buzz that he is a motivator and will treat everyone just a little different in their approach to learning. We'll see how that works out, but I suspect in Franco's case it may be a good thing.
                              I finally traded Franco at the end of last year, with an offer I couldn't refuse, but I just may bid for him in a buy-low situation. He has ability.
                              Good thoughts Scott. How much would you bid on him this year?

Comment

Working...
                              X