No announcement yet.

Hosmer to the Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Meyers to LF this leaves Margot in CF and Renfroe in RF with Pirela, Cordero, Jankowski and Szczur competing for back-up roles. So Pirela looks like the biggest hit on PT. Even if they move him to play 2B Spangenberg and Asuaje are also competing for PT. The Padres line-up is starting to look half-way decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Turns out that Boras knew what he was doing...again. Instead of the 7/140 floated for months, he actually got 8/144. A little less in AAV, but an extra year for a slightly above middling 1st baseman. Not a franchise killer for the Pads, but not a winner by any means either, IMO.
      Getting an extra year for an additional 4 million doesn't seem like an ingenious move to me but we don't know what was actually on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
        Getting an extra year for an additional 4 million doesn't seem like an ingenious move to me but we don't know what was actually on the table.
        In most years it looks like a decent deal but the way this off season is going I think they could have spent that kind of money/years more wisely. While not as good, Alonso for 2/16 or Moreland for 2/13 would have been my preference. Eduardo Nunez goes for 1/4M, Frazier 2/17M...this is the off season to get some of these guys who you can flip at the trade deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
          It's all about the years and security for the player...do you take a 3 year deal for a higher AAV? And then what happens when you suffer an injury that either erodes your skills or cuts your career short? You lose millions. Look at the contract that Houston signed Singleton to a few years back...10 million over 5 years, and now he's been cut by the club. The player got paid no matter what happens.

That's why Darvish took the Cubs deal...they offered the extra year(s), at pretty much the same money. Don't know if the Cubs were Yu's 1st choice, but the contract made it virtually impossible to turn down.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Not good for Hosmer's fantasy value IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
              This is a good topic to go over here. I tend to agree with you that he may take a hit in his value.

Myers definitely improved in fantasy when he moved to SD, although that may have just been a natural progression.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                He is coming from a pitcher's park so there might not be that much of a difference in his fantasy stats. If I have this right Kauffman is a little more extreme than Petco in the ratings. I'm sure there are others here that can go more into this than me.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  He is coming from a pitcher's park so there might not be that much of a difference in his fantasy stats. If I have this right Kauffman is a little more extreme than Petco in the ratings. I'm sure there are others here that can go more into this than me.
                  There is a significant difference. Kaufmann is a bit of a pitcher's park (0.926 in 2017) but Petco is severe (0.828). Both are dreadful HR parks, but Petco is worse. The main Kaufmann is better for BA and much better for the extra base.
                  Visit ESPN for MLB live scores, video highlights and latest news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play Fantasy Baseball.

One thing to consider for the Padres generally. This is a big defensive upgrade.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    There is a significant difference. Kaufmann is a bit of a pitcher's park (0.926 in 2017) but Petco is severe (0.828). Both are dreadful HR parks, but Petco is worse. The main Kaufmann is better for BA and much better for the extra base.
                    Visit ESPN for MLB live scores, video highlights and latest news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play Fantasy Baseball.

One thing to consider for the Padres generally. This is a big defensive upgrade.

J
                    It's always interesting to me how fickle park factors are. If you go back to 2016 Petco was a hitter's park (1.014)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      It's always interesting to me how fickle park factors are. If you go back to 2016 Petco was a hitter's park (1.014)
                      I seem to recall reading something about how changes to neighboring buildings changed the way the ball carried at Petco Park in recent years.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        And Kaufmann was still more of a hitter's park 2016 (1.171). In 2015 KC was a hitter's park and SD was pitcher's park, but no so pronounced. In 2014 KC was a hitter's park and SD just missed worst hitter's park in baseball. Five years straight, Kaufmann > Petco.

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        I seem to recall reading something about how changes to neighboring buildings changed the way the ball carried at Petco Park in recent years.
                        Not if the HR are a guide. Except for 2013, HR have been dreadful. That year Petco was the toughest run in baseball, but HR were almost neutral.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I think the park factors are sometimes too correlated to the teams that play there. The numbers try to edit that out, but it is not always effective.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            I think the park factors are sometimes too correlated to the teams that play there. The numbers try to edit that out, but it is not always effective.
                            Agreed.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                              I checked this site out when I googled pitcher's park. That is where I got my info from so looks like it varies from ESPN.

Kauffman Stadium's Park factor is 94. Current weather and wind conditions: cloudy, Gentle breeze in from left...

Comment

Working...
                              X