Legends walked amongst us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legends walked amongst us

In my youth I remember Bo Jackson. There were absolute Paul Bunyanesque stories of him, of his physical beastliness. 4.12 40 yard dash, at a weight of over 220+ pounds, and when asked about his max bench (back in those days, "What you bench" was standard bro speak) had been quoted in papers saying he didnt train for bench but when he had tried was over 400 pounds. For a brief time he was a huge star in baseball, with those Nike commercials doing all kinds of Superman things.

I maybe mis-remember, but I see him striking out, and then casually snapping the bat over his thigh when walking back to dugout. Another time, I recall him snapping bat over his head, wearing helmet I think, but this is Bo, maybe no helmet. How about a perfect strike to home plate on a throw from outfield wall on the fly, flat footed. I google some of this as I cant be sure if it was youthful exuberance remembering things in a flourished way, or we really did live in a time when we briefly witnessed the greatest athlete who walked the earth.

Today, even the biggest stars do not shine near so bright. Is there an equal to the Nike commercials about any athlete? We have anyone who conjures in the imagination such feats that the myth and the man are the same? Maybe last man who was truly a legend, beyond anything that could be fathomed today, at least in drinking circles, was the late Andre the Giant.

My favorite Bo play will always be Bo one-on-one against Brian Bosworth...and obliterating the Bos like a bug, and running about 90 yards for a TD.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      My favorite Bo play will always be Bo one-on-one against Brian Bosworth...and obliterating the Bos like a bug, and running about 90 yards for a TD.
      Let's remember, Bosworth was also a "legend" there for awhile.

As great an athlete as Bo was, I think it had more to do with the fantastic Nike ad campaign than anything else.

Comment

Strongly disagree revo. At least for what I am saying. Physical unparalleled unprecedented physical specimen athlete. Bo still holds the 40 yard dash time trial record, translates to roughly to usain bolt speed, on a guy who made that flat footed throw from warning track to home plate strike. Bo, out running Billy Hamilton, while also able to manhandle past Brian Bosworth who outweighed him 30 pounds. Revo, completely talking about physical freaks, reason mentioned Andre the giant, who was able to drink 100 beers in a sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
          Strongly disagree revo. At least for what I am saying. Physical unparalleled unprecedented physical specimen athlete. Bo still holds the 40 yard dash time trial record, translates to roughly to usain bolt speed, on a guy who made that flat footed throw from warning track to home plate strike. Bo, out running Billy Hamilton, while also able to manhandle past Brian Bosworth who outweighed him 30 pounds. Revo, completely talking about physical freaks, reason mentioned Andre the giant, who was able to drink 100 beers in a sitting.
          I was actually at that game sitting right behind 3rd base, it was absolutely amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive athletic feat on the baseball field.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Would have loved to see that in person, I almost feel like I have, if that makes sense. Bo wasnt a ballplayer so much as a collection of off the chart physical tools. Buck Oneill, who had seen everyone, said the crack of bat sounds coming from Bo's batting practice he had heard 2 times before. Babe Ruth, and Josh Gibson.

Comment

Techmo Bowl Bo is what really did it for him....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
              X