Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will you intentionally overpay for on your keeper list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will you intentionally overpay for on your keeper list?

Who do you plan on keeping that you know is no bargain?

Maybe just can't help yourself. Maybe your favorite player. Perhaps a genius move against the auction?

Who and how much?

Ronald Acuna $10 in a 10-team NL only.

He likely won't be a bargain this year, but we add $5 each season, so he's probably a big bargain for the next two, if things work out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      Ronald Acuna $10 in a 10-team NL only.

He likely won't be a bargain this year, but we add $5 each season, so he's probably a big bargain for the next two, if things work out.
      If he were available in my 12 team NL only he'd go for $25 so $10 is not an overpay.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I don't think I have any. My two biggest keeps are a $19C Elvis Andrus and a $14B David Price in a 10-team AL only.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          If he were available in my 12 team NL only he'd go for $25 so $10 is not an overpay.
          I agree. In fact in the LABR 15 team mixed *draft* he went for the equivalent of ~$13. And that's a mixed league.

In ONLY, I'm with Bucky he'd go for $20+

Comment

I dumped last year, so I don't have any of those high-priced guys to keep. I will keep Amed Rosario for $6 and have him locked in my lineup, which is dangerous, but hardly an overpay.

Comment

Acuna $10 is riskier in 10-team only than 12-team, but agreed that at least two prospect-lovers go up the ladder on him (I traded him 5-S2 last June in a #flagsflyforever deal)

you guys want me to keep Rizzo for 42 and Harper for 41

the rest of my keeper list doesn't fully rule it out, though more likely I just keep 1

Harper would be my 5th OF and with our 1-game in-season POS eligibility, having Rizzo move over to 2B from one of those shifts could work nicely
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

No one. If a player isn't at value or better (factoring in inflation), I'm throwing him back and keeping someone who represents profit.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Acuna $10 is riskier in 10-team only than 12-team, but agreed that at least two prospect-lovers go up the ladder on him (I traded him 5-S2 last June in a #flagsflyforever deal)

you guys want me to keep Rizzo for 42 and Harper for 41

the rest of my keeper list doesn't fully rule it out, though more likely I just keep 1

Harper would be my 5th OF and with our 1-game in-season POS eligibility, having Rizzo move over to 2B from one of those shifts could work nicely
                  Yes, yes we do.

Comment

Was just having a similar conversation/argument with a leaguemate. Our AL-Only draft pool appears to be very shallow this year. The best available bats are Marwin Gonzalez, Justin Upton, Kyle Seager, Brian McCann, Adam Jones, Ian Kinsler, Zack Cozart, you get the idea. His position is; I should value his $1 CC Sabathia in a trade because he is a more valuable keeper than my $33 Jean Segura. I acknowledge CC is far more likely to return a profit, while Segura will probably be a loss, but I already have a good bit of draft budget to spend and I'm wondering who I'm going to spend it on, so preferring a $33 Segura to a $1 CC just feels right to me. Plus, I believe there will be plenty of CC level pitchers available in the draft, while very few Segura level bats.

I just don't feel as likely to be competitive with a $1 player who earns $6, as I would be with a $33 player who earns $23.

Taking the actual players, and your opinions of them out of the equation, is there any way I am correct?
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                      Taking the actual players, and your opinions of them out of the equation, is there any way I am correct?
                      As long as your other keepers have enough profit built in to make up for the potential loss it isn't a terrible idea. You want to build as much profit as possible onto your roster. A $10 loss sorta makes you do that with one hand tied behind your back. And if the draft pool is thin it may be the worst time to try and find profit in the draft itself.

And just because you told me not to think about it - I might have a higher view of CC Sabathia's upside at $1 than you do.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        No one. If a player isn't at value or better (factoring in inflation), I'm throwing him back and keeping someone who represents profit.
                        I never focus on profit. That whole line of basing your keepers and your auction on potential profit escapes me. I keep and buy the players that i want, price be damned ( of course within reason).
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Was just having a similar conversation/argument with a leaguemate. Our AL-Only draft pool appears to be very shallow this year. The best available bats are Marwin Gonzalez, Justin Upton, Kyle Seager, Brian McCann, Adam Jones, Ian Kinsler, Zack Cozart, you get the idea. His position is; I should value his $1 CC Sabathia in a trade because he is a more valuable keeper than my $33 Jean Segura. I acknowledge CC is far more likely to return a profit, while Segura will probably be a loss, but I already have a good bit of draft budget to spend and I'm wondering who I'm going to spend it on, so preferring a $33 Segura to a $1 CC just feels right to me. Plus, I believe there will be plenty of CC level pitchers available in the draft, while very few Segura level bats.

I just don't feel as likely to be competitive with a $1 player who earns $6, as I would be with a $33 player who earns $23.

I manage my team like this. I would rather have the $33 Segura than the $1 CC in your league.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

You need profit, but at the same time you need the stats. This is why we'll pay 50 bucks for a superstar, knowing that he's not going to give us a lot, if any profit, but is going to fill the stat bag up.

Keep Segura, find profit elsewhere, it's always there.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Scarcity must always be taken into account in determining value.

If all of the higher value players are gone in your league than it is possible for Segura to have a higher value than 33.

Comment

Working...
                              X