AL Keeper Dregs... Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Keeper Dregs... Thoughts?

Made an unsuccessful run last year in our AL 5x5 league (12 teams). So the cupboard is somewhat bare for keepers. We can keep a max of 7. Not sure I have 7 candidates, so may go with fewer. Especially curious to hear what you think of the high $ players. They will likely help accelerate a rebuild.

Mike Trout $53
    Chris Sale $36
    Edwin Diaz $11 (option)
    Mychal Givens $1
    Mike Clevinger $10
    Shane Greene $10
    Robinson Chirinos $3
    Robinson Cano $38
    Jean Segura $36
    Melky Cabrera $17
    Matt Joyce $5

I'm reluctant to bias the discussion, but my early thought is to keep Sale, Trout, Diaz, Givens, Chirinos. Not sure about keeping any others. Thoughts?

Well, my first thought (before I read your final comment) is that if it were my team I am without a doubt keeping Trout and Sale and dropping the bottom 4.

I actually think Sale is fair priced and if there is any inflation he is a bargain...ish.

I am also not keeping Greene.

Givens and Chrinos would be a decision that I would make based on who is back in the auction and league dynamics.

Comment

I keep your five and Melky. Melky's pretty consistent for .285-70-15-80. Doesn't run at all anymore, but that production in a 12-team AL only has to be worth $17 easy.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post

I'm reluctant to bias the discussion, but my early thought is to keep Sale, Trout, Diaz, Givens, Chirinos. Not sure about keeping any others. Thoughts?
        Those 5 plus Greene
        One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

I read that the cupboard is bare, then I saw Trout and Sale and I was confused? Having the top two players in AL Only may give you.... just .... a bit of a head start vs other teams in your league.

I'd keep Trout/Sale/Diaz/Cheerios/Joyce/Greene
          And if possible I'd monitor the O's closer situation in the spring, maybe some hints that Givens might get some save opps.

Why would you rebuild?

Seems like the start to a winning team, not "Dregs" to me, but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I read that the cupboard is bare, then I saw Trout and Sale and I was confused? Having the top two players in AL Only may give you.... just .... a bit of a head start vs other teams in your league.

I'd keep Trout/Sale/Diaz/Cheerios/Joyce/Greene
            And if possible I'd monitor the O's closer situation in the spring, maybe some hints that Givens might get some save opps.

Why would you rebuild?

Seems like the start to a winning team, not "Dregs" to me, but what do I know?
            Fair point, Ken. But it's also about value as well as production. Sale is at an attractive price. Trout is Trout, but $53 is a lot.

Interesting debate on Greene. Might do Joyce over Melky given price differential.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Comment

Fair point, Ken. But it's also about value as well as production. Sale is at an attractive price. Trout is Trout, but $53 is a lot.
              Absolutely, price vs production is definitely a key point. As I stated in another thread you don't simply keep your top X talents regardless of price.

Trout costs a lot but depending on inflation it could possibly still have net positive value relative to the talent you are likely to acquire at the auction.

You were willing to go to 53 last year, has his value gone down significantly to you?
              Last edited by Ken; 02-08-2018, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Absolutely, price vs production is definitely a key point. As I stated in another thread you don't simply keep your top X talents regardless of price.

Trout costs a lot but depending on inflation it could possibly still have net positive value relative to the talent you are likely to acquire at the auction.

You were willing to go to 53 last year, has his value gone down significantly to you?
                Someone else was willing. I acquired him in-season. Hate committing 20% of auction dollars to a single player though.

Comment

Someone else was willing. I acquired him in-season. Hate committing 20% of auction dollars to a single player though.
                  What did you have to pay to get him? Can you expect about the same return if you need to trade him in a rebuild?

I traded for a $50 Goldschmidt about 3 weeks ago in my NL only. One of the other owners thinks I am bluffing when I told him I am keeping him.

He has a decent keeper list and a good amount of money. I asked him who on offense will he spend his money on after Harper, Blackmon, and Votto are off the board. Drops down to Murphy and Braun.

With at least 5 other players that have money and needing offense I am not so sure you will get Harper or Blackmon for $50.

Comment

Well, doing that does require much better management of the end game. That's not easy, and you'll have to prepare and be ready at a pretty high level to make it work. Given that you're posts are typically pretty much on point, I have no doubt you can do it. If you pull it off with that base, you'll have a top team and trade chips come mid-season.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Well, doing that does require much better management of the end game. That's not easy, and you'll have to prepare and be ready at a pretty high level to make it work. Given that you're posts are typically pretty much on point, I have no doubt you can do it. If you pull it off with that base, you'll have a top team and trade chips come mid-season.
                      Thanks chancellor. Kind of you. I feel much more comfortable doing that in the NL, where I know the player pool much much better. But it’s worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        What did you have to pay to get him? Can you expect about the same return if you need to trade him in a rebuild?
                        Good question, Gregg. I did well I think. Gave up $18 Betts and got Trout plus a bunch. I would hope to do even better than that. But I’m our league, the returns on one year rentals are usually low no matter the player. Have to figure out how to better exploit that.

Your point about Goldschmidt is an excellent one. Will you get a better player for the money?

Comment

I think this depends on a variety of factors. I have kept my top talents regardless of price many times and it has worked out quite well.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                          X