2K18: Nick Castellanos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K18: Nick Castellanos

Let's start off the 2K18 series with a player who's performance spiked in 2017. Castellanos finished the season hitting an impressive .272 with 26 HRs and 101 RBIs, and as mentioned in another thread he led the AL in triples. He did hit much better vs. LHPs than RHPs, however. He also improved his K% rate from around the 25% rate to 21%.

While those were the positives, the Tigers moved him from 3B to RF, but that didn't help his fielding woes. According to MLB Trade Rumors, he had a -7 defensive runs saves and a "catastrophic" -80.5 UZR (per 150 games).

Despite his fielding, I like Castellanos to continue his hitting prowess in 2018.

contribution from Fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/br...k-castellanos/
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

In early May people started noting that Castellanos had been unlucky, with the highest number of hard-hit balls leading to outs
      example here (May 4th, Bleacher Report): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...itters-of-2017

Also, his K rate dropped overall, but it really dropped in the 2nd half:
      1st half: 358 pa, 28 BB, 90 K, .248/.313/.433
      2nd half: 307 pa, 13 BB, 52 K, .299/.329/.553
      ...plain to see that the BB rate fell a lot as well. Don't know whether that means pitchers will be able to take advantage of that, or if he's just better off being aggressive.

His other promising split is situational, which explains how he got s many rbis.
      bases empty: 377 pa, 16 BB, 88 K, .223/.260/401
      runners on base: 288 pa, 25 BB, 54 K, .341/.399/.616
      ... arguably a predictor of a drop in rbis for 2018, but if you had to choose, you'd rather he was good with runners on. And note the spike in walks.

Castellanos played of in the minors in 2012-2013. Hopefully he'll end up tolerable there.

There have been recent mentions of trading him, but I didn't see anything mentioning a solid lead. 2018 is VMart's last year, so the position issue may be temporary.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        In early May people started noting that Castellanos had been unlucky, with the highest number of hard-hit balls leading to outs
        example here (May 4th, Bleacher Report): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...itters-of-2017

Also, his K rate dropped overall, but it really dropped in the 2nd half:
        1st half: 358 pa, 28 BB, 90 K, .248/.313/.433
        2nd half: 307 pa, 13 BB, 52 K, .299/.329/.553
        ...plain to see that the BB rate fell a lot as well. Don't know whether that means pitchers will be able to take advantage of that, or if he's just better off being aggressive.

His other promising split is situational, which explains how he got s many rbis.
        bases empty: 377 pa, 16 BB, 88 K, .223/.260/401
        runners on base: 288 pa, 25 BB, 54 K, .341/.399/.616
        ... arguably a predictor of a drop in rbis for 2018, but if you had to choose, you'd rather he was good with runners on. And note the spike in walks.

Castellanos played of in the minors in 2012-2013. Hopefully he'll end up tolerable there.

There have been recent mentions of trading him, but I didn't see anything mentioning a solid lead. 2018 is VMart's last year, so the position issue may be temporary.
        There have been a few local articles and some radio chatter that the Tigers may try to talk injury settlement with VMart or even flat out release him. Some other things are going on with VMart. It appears as if talking with Gary Sanchez during the brawls was only one of several things he has done over the last few years that have rubbed his teammates the wrong way. I really cant imagine the Tigers just flat out eating $18 mil but stranger things have happened.
        Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
        Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Jeimer Candelario looks pretty boring in fantasy terms (mediocre AVG and power, no speed) but he's supposedly a defensive upgrade over Castellanos at the hot corner. If Candelario gets the every day job and a middle of the order slot, he could outperform his low draft cost, especially in AL leagues. He can take a walk so he'll be better in OBP leagues.

I suspect the Tigers will try to move Castellanos over the winter but if they can't, he's too good and the Tigers are too bad for him not to get regular PAs for them in 2018. Castellanos is a known quantity at this point but probably still has upside to put together a career year in the next year or three.

Comment

I just acquired Castellanos in my 12-team mixed (10 keepers). He is 3 bucks and in his contract year. Is this a no-brainer extension situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              I just acquired Castellanos in my 12-team mixed (10 keepers). He is 3 bucks and in his contract year. Is this a no-brainer extension situation?
              If $5 a year, sure, I’d extend him a year.

Comment

I would extend for a year as well.
                Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Mixed league, you bet, one year extension. And then hope he gets traded out from the Detroit Dumpster Fire.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I will pile on for the 1 year extension.

Comment

Working...
                    X