Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klassifying the Keepers

I am updating this from last fall.

These are No-brainers. They are on their last option, hence cheap, or have a long option.

Michael Fulmer Det - SP
    Víctor Robles Was - OF
    Shohei Otani - SP
    Jon Gray Den - SP

One more is iffy

Sean Manaea Oak - SP

This group is out of options. I must keep three with an optional fourth. The option cost is about #90-#100 pick in a redraft league. The first threee seem to be set. Of the other options, there is a good chance Didi would make it back to me if I cut him loose.

Paul Goldschmidt Ari - 1B *
    Robinson Canó Sea - 2B *
    Christian Yelich Mia - OF *

Gregory Polanco Pit - OF
    Didi Gregorius NYY - SS
    Troy Tulowitzki Tor - SS

I have up to eight options. Four seem clear.

Matt Chapman Oak - 3B *
    Paul Dejong StL - 2B, 3B, SS *
    Willie Calhoun LAD - 2B *
    Ronald Acuña Atl - OF *

Pick four of these. They have additional options for 2019 and 2020, a couple into 2021.

Brendan Rodgers Col - SS
    Alex Verdugo LAD - OF
    Scott Kingery Phi - 2B
    Brian Anderson, Mia - 3B
    Jeimer Candelario Det - 3B
    Austin Hays Bal - OF
    JP Crawford Phi - SS
    Brent Honeywell TB - SP
    Patrick Corbin Ari - SP,RP
    Kelvin Herrera KC - RP
    Mike Clevinger Cle - SP,RP
    Jharel Cotton Oak - SP

I won in 2016 but 2017 was a smoking crater. I was in rebuild mode soon after the All Star game. Given Ohtani, Robles, Chapman and Acuna I have good prospects for 2019, but 2018 will still be in rebuild mode unless I find gold. That has happened. I kept Goldschmidt and Jean Segura off a list like this, traded for Cano and drafted Jose Fernandez. Viola, 2013 Champion.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-29-2017, 08:03 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Does the first group affect any of the number of keeps from the other groups?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Does the first group affect any of the number of keeps from the other groups?
      We have 3 true keepers and can use our first pick as a 4th--Goldschmidt, Cano, Yelich, with no Didi as I waive option and take the pick. That is the only way to retain a player out of options. The other groups have options to exercise. The first cluster have either long options or just one for 2018.

My tentative roster is

1B Goldschmidt
      2B Cano
      3B Chapman
      SS deJong
      CI
      MI
      OF Yelich
      OF Acuna
      OF Calhoun
      OF
      Ut

SP Ohtani
      SP Gray
      SP Fulmer
      SP
      RP
      RP
      RP
      P
      P
      P

BN Robles
      BN Otani
      BN
      BN
      BN
      BN
      BN

plus four more.

Currently in talent acquisition mode. Players like Cano and Herrera have more value as trade bait than as players.

J
      Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM.
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Matt Chapman Oak - 3B
        Willie Calhoun LAD - 2B
        Brendan Rodgers Col - SS
        Ronald Acuña Atl - OF
        Alex Verdugo LAD - OF
        Scott Kingery Phi - 2B
        Brent Honeywell TB - SP
        Kelvin Herrera KC - RP

Tim Anderson CWS - SS
        David Peralta Ari - OF
        Troy Tulowitzki Tor - SS
        Mike Clevinger Cle - SP,RP
        Jharel Cotton Oak - SP
        Chad Pinder Oak - 2B,SS,OF

Comment

I'd consider Otani but it's not clear what that costs you. Probably not the others.

First group: Goldschmidt, Cano, Yelich. I could see Didi but I don't think he'd go before pick #80 normally and the others definitely wouldn't.

Second group: Chapman, Peralta, Acuna, Kingery, Corbin, Herrera, Verdugo, Honeywell. I would strongly consider replacing Verdugo with Eaton - I haven't seen anything that makes me think that Verdugo's going to be significantly better than Eaton, and Eaton's already done it in the majors and doesn't have nearly as much fighting for a starting role as Verdugo will in the short term.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

One minor hiccup. I managed to omit Paul DeJong from the OP (now corrected).

So far we have consensus on

Matt Chapman Oak - 3B
            Ronald Acuña Atl - OF
            Scott Kingery Phi - 2B
            Brent Honeywell TB - SP
            Kelvin Herrera KC - RP
            Alex Verdugo LAD - OF

I will assume Dejong makes the cut. So it comes down to one of

Willie Calhoun LAD - 2B
            Brendan Rodgers Col - SS
            David Peralta Ari - OF

I think I would lean to keeping Rodgers, Peralta and Corbin and dropping Verdugo and Herrera. It's a pity. Calhoun is going to be a stud fantasy player.

J
            Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-04-2017, 11:47 AM.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              One minor hiccup. I managed to omit Paul DeJong from the OP (now corrected).

So far we have consensus on

Matt Chapman Oak - 3B
              Ronald Acuña Atl - OF
              Scott Kingery Phi - 2B
              Brent Honeywell TB - SP
              Kelvin Herrera KC - RP
              Alex Verdugo LAD - OF

I will assume Dejong makes the cut. So it comes down to one of

Willie Calhoun LAD - 2B
              Brendan Rodgers Col - SS
              David Peralta Ari - OF

I think I would lean to keeping Rodgers, Peralta and Corbin and dropping Verdugo and Herrera. It's a pity. Calhoun is going to be a stud fantasy player.

J
              I agree with mjl about keeping Eaton over Verdugo. I agree with you on keeping Rodgers and Corbin.

I am not that high on the 30 year old Peralta. I just think he can be replaced fairly easy. I would keep Crawford or Calhoun over Peralta. Special Players that I want on my team for the future or to trade in season to make a run.

Comment

I think you're going to have to be pretty lucky to win next year - you basically have Goldschmidt, a bunch of above-average guys this year who have some questions associated with them (Yelich, Cano, deJong, Corbin), and a bunch of young guys who look good right now, and a bunch of very good prospects. Your team looks great if Chapman keeps hitting and Acuna and Robles and Kingery all come up early and are at least good, but it might take you a month or two for all those guys to make it to the majors.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

That makes sense. I had a much better core in 2016. Cano was a year (or two years) younger, Goldschmidt and Jose Fernandez. I drafted well, found Aledmys Diaz, and flags fly forever.

So, it's time to see if someone will pay retail for Cano and possibly Didi or Polanco. Who else looks more trade than keep?

I still have faith that Yelich's best is ahead of him. In the second half, Yelich is batting .307/.401/.527 with a .394 wOBA. He's 26 next year, so he has time.

On another note, I picked up Austin Hayes to make sure he's in the draft. Does anyone else fit that bill.

J
                  Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

That makes sense. I had a much better core in 2016. Cano was a year (or two years) younger, Goldschmidt and Jose Fernandez. I drafted well, found Aledmys Diaz, and flags fly forever.

So, it's time to see if someone will pay retail for Cano and possibly Didi or Polanco. Who else looks more trade than keep?
                    DeJong if you can get someone to bite - not sure you can find someone, but there's a real shortage of non-horrible seasons on this list: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=7,a

maybe he follows the Schoop/Rosario path and fixes those problems, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

On another note, I picked up Austin Hayes to make sure he's in the draft. Does anyone else fit that bill.
                    maybe Brian Anderson on the Marlins?

Comment

Working...
                    X