WAR....what is it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR....what is it good for?

Can anyone explain how WAR is calculated? I'm just trying to understand how Duffy has a higher WAR than McCullers despite significantly worse performance in nearly every category. It's baffling to me that such an obviously flawed statistic is cited so often in player evaluations.

DD LM
    IP 68.2 65.1
    ERA+ 119 152
    FIP 3.43 3.08
    WHIP 1.37 1.06
    H/9 9.0 6.9
    HR/9 0.5 0.8
    BB/9 3.3 2.6
    K/9 7.1 10.1
    K/BB 2.16 3.84
    WAR 1.8 1.7
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Absolutely nothing. Say it again! Sorry couldn't resist.

I'll leave this is the more knowledgeable posters.

Comment

there are countless versions

this is baseball-reference's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...xplained.shtml
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Which WAR are you using? There are park effects, league effects, FIP vs ERA calculations, etc. Their FIP is pretty close and Duffy has thrown more innings.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          ... and Duffy has thrown more innings.
          I'm no expert on war but it does seem to value IP pretty significantly - which I kinda like.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Which WAR are you using? There are park effects, league effects, FIP vs ERA calculations, etc. Their FIP is pretty close and Duffy has thrown more innings.
            That right there says it all. But I was using BR. So, are you in agreement that 3.1 more IPs outweighs everything else? Park and league effects are incorporated into ERA+, which McCullers destroys him 152 to 119. And his K/BB ratio is nearly double 3.84 to 2.16.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              That right there says it all. But I was using BR. So, are you in agreement that 3.1 more IPs outweighs everything else? Park and league effects are incorporated into ERA+, which McCullers destroys him 152 to 119. And his K/BB ratio is nearly double 3.84 to 2.16.

I don't think the fact that there are multiple sources that have their own calculation for WAR "says it all". I would instead argue that this is a relatively subjective value, but it's a decent barometer when comparing starters vs relievers or pitchers vs hitters, something that the traditional stats cannot do.

The reason that IP is relevant is that WAR is an accumulation/counting stat, not a rate stat. So the more innings that are pitched, the more WAR that can be accumulated.

To be fair, Duffy and McCullers are pretty close in WAR - 1.6 vs 1.8. But your point is still a fair one, on the surface it seems that McCullers would be ahead. Some of the factors that may be leaning in Duffy's favor are:

1) McCullers has given up 2 unearned runs vs Duffy's 0. Runs are not separated between earned/unearned in B-R's model.
              2) Quality of opponent is a part of the formula and McCullers has faced teams with a combined record of 267-291 vs Duffy's 297-251

If you do want to read more about what goes into B-R's WAR calculation there are articles describing it, such as this one: http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...ed_pitch.shtml

Comment

The biggest difference between FanGraphs WAR and Baseball-Reference WAR is on how they handle dividing up the credit for batted ball results between pitcher and defense.

FanGraphs approach is that other than HR, the batted ball results are all luck and 0% due to the pitcher. Baseball-Reference approach is that the vast majority of the batted ball results are due to the pitcher. A better approach is to actually use the batted ball characteristics to apportion the results, but that approach wasn't possible for public entities until MLB began publishing that information this season. So, AFAIK, there isn't a public WAR that uses it for pitchers yet.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  The biggest difference between FanGraphs WAR and Baseball-Reference WAR is on how they handle dividing up the credit for batted ball results between pitcher and defense.

FanGraphs approach is that other than HR, the batted ball results are all luck and 0% due to the pitcher. Baseball-Reference approach is that the vast majority of the batted ball results are due to the pitcher. A better approach is to actually use the batted ball characteristics to apportion the results, but that approach wasn't possible for public entities until MLB began publishing that information this season. So, AFAIK, there isn't a public WAR that uses it for pitchers yet.
                  Good to know, thanks!
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

I assume that as part of your private WAR calculation for each pitcher-batter interaction you also include variables such as #of hours slept the previous night, marital strife level as measured on a 1-10 scale, and so on ...
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      I assume that as part of your private WAR calculation for each pitcher-batter interaction you also include variables such as #of hours slept the previous night, marital strife level as measured on a 1-10 scale, and so on ...
                      And midichlorian levels in their blood, etc.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Hey, I thought we agreed not to give away Seitz's confidential information!
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Hey, I thought we agreed not to give away Seitz's confidential information!
                          it was all part of a bigger plot to see if they use midichlorian level info ... and he sure spilled the beans on that pretty quickly!!!

Comment

it was all part of a bigger plot to see if they use midichlorian level info ... and he sure spilled the beans on that pretty quickly!!!
                            That does explain all the "Use the force, Alex" that I heard at the last game.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                            X