Padre Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padre Notes

I might as well re start this for the season.

The Padres have the chance to enjoy their first 3 game win streak of the season if they can get past those pesky Buccos.

With May already here, the Padres are happy as it's been their best month for the past 2-3 years. they are also out of the toughest part of their schedule and I think they'll find a way to scratch back to .500

Venable and Ludwick look like they're coming around, though Hawpe and Cantu seem like they're not long for the club.

I could see Hawpe and Patterson being replaced by the end of this month if not sooner. Neither can hit and both have defensive issues. Cantu might stick if only because he can play both corner positions.

Look for Latos to get back on the beam tomorrow, like I said in another post, he's right there, just struggling with keeping his emotions in check and every ( I mean every) mistake he's made has been taken yard.

BTW, Evreth Caberra broke his hamate bone again and will be sidelined for a month.

That is all.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thoughts on Dustin Moseley? Keeper? Seller? Can he continue to pitch well? Obviously, he won't keep up the current level, but can he be a serviceable ML starter?

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
      Thoughts on Dustin Moseley? Keeper? Seller? Can he continue to pitch well? Obviously, he won't keep up the current level, but can he be a serviceable ML starter?
      Black was his pitching coach when he was with the Angels. He saw something in the guy and all I can say is, he gets a ton of ground balls outs. I think he'll be pretty serviceable, but don;t think he can keep a sub 2 era up I have him in one league, but I waited a week or so to claim him. Petco helps Padre starters as does the defense and the bullpen. Look for a 3 something ERA low wins and k's with a decent whip.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This thread was quite helpful last year and seems like it will help a lot this year as well. While certain teams have very little controversy as far as personnel goes (the Yankees, for example), teams like the Padres (and Dodgers, I'll probably start a thread like this for them as well) have a lot of question marks at important positions of which fans who follow those teams closely would have quality intel.

I'm going to be a bit selfish and ask about a couple guys I have on my NL-only roster. Would Kyle Blanks be the one to replace Hawpe at 1B if a change is made by the end of the month? Would it be Rizzo instead? What about in the OF, could it be Jaff Decker or would Denorfia simply take over?

Also, any minor leaguers who might be a bit off the radar making some noise?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          I'm going to be a bit selfish and ask about a couple guys I have on my NL-only roster. Would Kyle Blanks be the one to replace Hawpe at 1B if a change is made by the end of the month? Would it be Rizzo instead? What about in the OF, could it be Jaff Decker or would Denorfia simply take over?

To answer some of the questions, I think they'd like Blanks to be called up before Rizzo, assuming Blanks' bat can come around (he went 4-5 the other night and his average is up to .280). They are really hesitant to call up Rizzo so closely after getting rid of Adrian. They don't want him to bear the pressure of being the team savior after his fast start in the minors this year. So I think they'll do what they can to keep him in the minors virtually the whole year, and then maybe get some ABs as a September call up.

I think they'd probably just go with Denorfia in OF as he's been serviceable enough thus far. They may look at a guy like Cunningham who is down in AAA right now as well as Decker, Durango or Cedric Hunter. They have a few guys all lumped together in the OF spot with none of them head and shoulders above the rest.

Not sure about any of the off the radar guys, I'll leave that one up to Doig.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
            This thread was quite helpful last year and seems like it will help a lot this year as well. While certain teams have very little controversy as far as personnel goes (the Yankees, for example), teams like the Padres (and Dodgers, I'll probably start a thread like this for them as well) have a lot of question marks at important positions of which fans who follow those teams closely would have quality intel.

Sam answerd, but I'll piggyback.

I think Blanks will be up by Mid-end of May. I see Hawpe being released. If he pans out, Rizzo will stay in AAA because he's not coming up to sit and the Padres seem content to use Ludwick/Maybin/Venable/Denorfia in their OF. I can see them replacing Patterson with Cunningham, but not any of the AA guys like Jaff Decker. You'll only see those guys if there's an injury.

AAA really has no one of note outside of Rizzo and Forsythe, AA is a hitters league, but there's one guy who's killing it and who seems to be fast tracked and that's Cody Decker 1b/Dh he's got a ton of power (leads all baseball in HRs with 11) but Ks a lot. Other notables in AA are Jaff Decker, James Darnell and Blake Tekotte.

There is one guy you might want to keep in mind Keyvius Sampson a pitcher at Ft Wayne single A, I see him moving fast through the system he's a power arm with solid control. He should hit AA by the end of the season and if he does well there, could jump straight to the majors.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Sam answerd, but I'll piggyback.

I think Blanks will be up by Mid-end of May. I see Hawpe being released. If he pans out, Rizzo will stay in AAA because he's not coming up to sit and the Padres seem content to use Ludwick/Maybin/Venable/Denorfia in their OF. I can see them replacing Patterson with Cunningham, but not any of the AA guys like Jaff Decker. You'll only see those guys if there's an injury.

AAA really has no one of note outside of Rizzo and Forsythe, AA is a hitters league, but there's one guy who's killing it and who seems to be fast tracked and that's Cody Decker 1b/Dh he's got a ton of power (leads all baseball in HRs with 11) but Ks a lot. Other notables in AA are Jaff Decker, James Darnell and Blake Tekotte.

There is one guy you might want to keep in mind Keyvius Sampson a pitcher at Ft Wayne single A, I see him moving fast through the system he's a power arm with solid control. He should hit AA by the end of the season and if he does well there, could jump straight to the majors.
              I don't think Hawpe gets released. I don't think the Pads want to reproduce the Edmonds experience with too quick a trigger. I also note his offense is starting to come around, but I have to say his defense is close to horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                I don't think Hawpe gets released. I don't think the Pads want to reproduce the Edmonds experience with too quick a trigger. I also note his offense is starting to come around, but I have to say his defense is close to horrible.
                I understand the Edmonds issue, but I don;t think the clubhouse will be very pleasant if Hawpe stays and continues to boot balls and hit sub .200. I think he'll be gone come May 27th (how's that for calling a shot!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I understand the Edmonds issue, but I don;t think the clubhouse will be very pleasant if Hawpe stays and continues to boot balls and hit sub .200. I think he'll be gone come May 27th (how's that for calling a shot!
                  as a padre fan I would welcome it, but I don't see it. I would think it just as likely if Blanks get called up and put at 1B that Hawpe starts taking some PT in the OF.

Comment

maybe they'll keep Hawpe and release Patterson, but I'd prefer Cunningham and Blanks to those two.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

maybe they'll keep Hawpe and release Patterson, but I'd prefer Cunningham and Blanks to those two.
                      agreed

Comment

Logan Forsythe was pulled in the 5th Inning of the Tucson Padres game, and there are rumors he is headed to San Diego. Either because Hudson's hamstring is worse than initially thought, or because Patterson is on the way out. But Patterson did reach base three times today as Hudson's replacement, including a HR.

Edit: Now the story is that he is being brought to SD as a precaution, just in case Hudson's hamstring requires a DL stint. But if not, he might go back to Tucson.
                        Last edited by OaklandA's; 05-04-2011, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                          Logan Forsythe was pulled in the 5th Inning of the Tucson Padres game, and there are rumors he is headed to San Diego. Either because Hudson's hamstring is worse than initially thought, or because Patterson is on the way out. But Patterson did reach base three times today as Hudson's replacement, including a HR.

Edit: Now the story is that he is being brought to SD as a precaution, just in case Hudson's hamstring requires a DL stint. But if not, he might go back to Tucson.
                          Hudson to the DL, Forsythe up--Patterson to start today, but look for Logan to take over and get most of the playing time starting tomorrow.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            To answer some of the questions, I think they'd like Blanks to be called up before Rizzo, assuming Blanks' bat can come around (he went 4-5 the other night and his average is up to .280).
                            Blanks has had such a problem making contact in the majors. I wonder if he'll figure it out this time.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Black was his pitching coach when he was with the Angels. He saw something in the guy and all I can say is, he gets a ton of ground balls outs. I think he'll be pretty serviceable, but don;t think he can keep a sub 2 era up I have him in one league, but I waited a week or so to claim him. Petco helps Padre starters as does the defense and the bullpen. Look for a 3 something ERA low wins and k's with a decent whip.
                              Low wins and K's are holding true.

Comment

Working...
                              X