How Legit is Daniel Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Legit is Daniel Murphy

I may just be in denial, because I don't want to admit to myself I was a complete idiot for not keeping him relatively cheap in both of my leagues, but is Daniel Murphy really now an elite hitter? I mean, he was great to end the year and year and he is putting up absurd numbers this year. I'm not asking if he is a legit .350 hitter--I know he isn't that. But is he now, somehow, a totally different beast than he used to be? Is he really a legit .300+ hitter with power entrenched in the middle of the order going forward for the next few years?

I have been offered a $20 Murphy and a $5 Porcello for my Tyler Glasnow ($5 when he gets called up, can be kept 2 years at $5, or extended after next year), $5 Valbuena and $5 Thornburg--the two major leaguers are not consequential to me, although I do like Thornburg as a gamble play in case Jeffress gets dealt. But is this a deal I should do? By the numbers, it makes sense, but it is hard for me to swallow Murphy as a stud hitter. Heck, it is hard for me to swallow that Porcello has finally put it all together.

He just upped his offer to Murphy $20, Porcello $5, and Aaron Sanchez $18 for my Valbuena $5, Thornburg $5, Rajai Davis $5, and Glasnow and Yadier Avlarez. Murphy would replace Chris Carter at my corner (I am stacked at 2b with Altuve and Dozier already), and Porcello and Sanchez would give me SP depth, and I think all three might be keepers if i can make room to keep them.

This is a 14 team h2h mixed league.

Comment

Full disclosure- I own Murphy in one league and am giddy as a schoolgirl about it.

I believe Murphy figured something out in terms of the power- he is a known tinkerer and is pulling more balls now than ever it seems. I think the 20-25 HR power is legit. I think the average is high but .290-.300 is quite reasonable.

I am making that deal if I am you.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

HQ has him worth $35 so far and $32 down the stretch.
        xBA of .312, which is more predictive than AVG. and that is really high and thus legit.

late last season, he moved closer to the plate - and boom, here come the HRs. he already was a very smart batter anyway (weird, because he is one of the dumbest fielders+runners you will ever see).

he's age 31, but if thinking 2017 specifically at $20, he's a buy
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

To legit to quit.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I am not a Murphy fan, but I would make that trade.

Comment

I took Glasgow's injury as a sign and pulled the trigger.

Comment

Working...
              X