The Dane's RJEL Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dane's RJEL Team

I felt okay about this draft, got several of my targets. I had the 3rd-most money coming in, with a solid keeper list, so I knew I could overpay on a couple of studs and still be okay. I went in deciding I wouldn't pay for closers at all, and was going to avoid the top tier in starting pitchers. I was happy to get Wainwright at a reasonable price. I wanted, first and foremost, a balanced offense, and I figured if I could get to the middle of the pack in pitching, I'd be in a position to maneuver up.

C SVogt 3
    1B EEncarnacion 51
    2B HKendrick 10
    3B MDuffy 5
    SS BCrawford 3
    MI ESuarez 1
    CI LValbuena 1
    OF JBautista 56
    OF MBrantley 11 (replaced already by Broxton)
    OF CYelich 8
    OF AGordon 23
    OF OHerrera 2
    UT JSoler 8
    UT DHerrera 1 (replaced already by TStory)

Bench: DDietrich 1, KBroxton 4
    Help from minors this year: TStory, LBrinson, AHansen, TGoeddel, HRenfroe

SP AWainwright 27
    SP MLeake 17
    SP JTeheran 1
    SP ACashner 10
    SP JNiese 5
    SP AConley 4
    SP HBailey 4
    RP SKelley 1
    RP DHinojosa 3

Bench SBracho 1, CKnebel 1, RP DHudson 1

All in all, I feel my offense is very strong, but my pitching is in need of some TLC. I may back into some saves with one or two of my cheapie middle relievers, and saves are so volatile anyway that I'll work on those via the waiver wire or trades. My starters are pretty weak, but I feel they are one ace away from being a fine staff. If I can grab an expiring contract ace from a dumper and snag some waiver wire saves, I think this pitching will hold up. For the most part, I drafted starters on good teams (two from StL, one from Pit) or in good parks (one in SD, one in MIA) and a DL flier in Bailey. And when I look at this pitching and think, ugh what the fuck did I do, I just look at my $208 offense and realize I only spent $71 on pitchers. That makes it all feel better.

Have at it, gents.

I think it's a solid $71 pitching staff. The reinforcements from the minors will be helpful sometime during the season.

Comment

I think that this is another very good offense, questionable pitching teams. Is there something in the water in California that makes guys like you and Jude hate pitchers? The problem with going hitter heavy is the obvious one, 5 of the 10 cats are pitching, so you may very well be 1st or 2nd in all of the hitting cats, and near the bottom in all the pitching cats. You have some nice potential closers, but you don't have a real one yet. K's will be another source of concern...You also don't have a ton of speed.

Good, not great team, IMO.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

You know, there was a time on this site when, if you responded to someone's team thoughtfully, you could count on a response on yours in return. Apparently, that time has passed.

Thanks, Jude and Hornsby, for your input. You guys rock.

Comment

i didn't have anything much different than horns to say, but since you have made a pointed call, here goes.

your hitting is good across the board, but not near the best in the league (except maybe in OBA). it will not be good enough to carry your team, though, with the pitching weighing you down.

unfortunately, your pitching staff is one of the worst in the league. you seem to have confidence that you can pick up players via FAAB or trade or promotion, and maybe that's true, but as it stands now, you're near the bottom in every category.

you're team is like the flip side of my team, and that puts you squarely in the middle of the pack.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            You know, there was a time on this site when, if you responded to someone's team thoughtfully, you could count on a response on yours in return. Apparently, that time has passed.

Thanks, Jude and Hornsby, for your input. You guys rock.
            Tim, its been on my list but haven't been around much this week. Pitching for me is the concern as I think you'll be light on Ks to be honest. That's a lot of $ spent on Leake who might be ok on ratios but his ~130 Ks are light for the position. Wainwright's days as a +150K guy are likely waning as well and Teheran is not a K guy either. I liked your buys of Conley & Bailey (as a spec pick for a keeper + 2H stats) but on the whole think you might be behind the 8-ball on both ratios & Ks.

On the offense, that's a lot of $ spent on 2 hitters in Bautista & EE so they'll need to come thru in a big way. I was surprised on how many players crossed $50 TY myself as generally (a) they don't return value and (b) they're very hard to trade. Still, those 2 provide a nice power base though you'll need Crawford/Duffy/Gordon/Valbuena to all contribute 20+ HRs in order to accumulate enough. Seems like you might be light on steals as well as I think we'd need 120+ to be mid-pack and not sure where that comes from.

Comment

Hey Dane, whats up? For sure, sight activity, and responsiveness is miles from where it was years ago. From a personal perspective I gave up most of my roto interest, and devoted that energy to other forms of introspection and self loathing as I try to deal, or not deal with personal real world issues. I did want to point out that one of the things I miss about being in that 18 tm scrum with you is you were 1 of a handful of owners that I felt was one of my go to guys in talking trade, and felt you were fair and reasonable.

As to your team, you have 1/2 your salary parked in Bautista, EE, and A Gordon, which sounds excessive but I like that hitting base. Your P is all about upside, and could be pretty miserable unless you get those dice to roll right.

Comment

Working...
              X