Another RJEL Thread...Rip it UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another RJEL Thread...Rip it UP!

I came into the day having done 3 auctions in the previous two days, so I was pretty fried. But so did a lot of the other guys, so that's no excuse. 5x5 with OBP replacing Average. Here's the line-up: Keepers in bold.

HITTERS

C. Francisco Cervelli C PIT A

1B. Jose Abreu 1B CHW 36 2017

2B. Dee Gordon 2B MIA 19 2018

3B. Yunel Escobar 3B LAA 5 A

MI. Dustin Pedroia 2B BOS 17 A

CI. Justin Bour MIA 5B

OF. Peter Bourjos OF PHI 3A

OF. Coco Crisp OF OAK 1 A

OF. Adam Eaton OF CHW 11 2018

OF. Yasiel Puig OF LAD 11 2017

OF. Hanley Ramirez OF BOS 24 A

U. Albert Pujols 1B LAA 31 A

U. Alex Rodriguez U NYY 10 B

RESERVES

OF. Hyun Soo Kim OF BAL 1A

OF. Jake Marisnick OF HOU 1A

OF. A.J. Pollock OF ARI 18 A

PITCHERS

P. Jose Fernandez P MIA 12 2018

P. Cole Hamels P TEX 21 X

P. Joe Kelly P BOS 1 A

P. Jose Quintana P CHW 6 X

P. Robbie Ray P ARI 3 A

P. Hector Rondon P CHC 3 X

P. Joakim Soria P KC 1 A

P. Pedro Strop P CHC 3 A

P. Koji Uehara P BOS 2 A

RESERVES

P. Brad Boxberger P TB 9 A

P. Ubaldo Jimenez P BAL 1 A

So, here's the deal, I couldn't pass up Pollock at that price, even if he doesn't play this season, he's a killer keeper for 2 years at least. Same goes for Boxberger...9 is a great price even if he only pitches half the season. That said those 27 bucks caught me later in the auction when I needed to have a buck or two to steal a guy, which is why my OF and SS are weaker than I'd like. I don't know if Kim is ever going to play for the O's, but at a buck, he's a gamble worth taking, IMO. Same with Marisnick, Santana, and Crisp...they can get in a game and steal a base here and there.

I have Giolito, Barrios and Manaea all ready to contribute this year, so I've got that going for me. Have at it! And Thanks...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I'd like your team better in a BA league. I like the Pollock or theBoxberger but, but not both. Unless you are in a 2-year plan. Plus, with the Pollock buy, I don't think spending $24 on HanRam was a good idea.

You'll need the kid pitchers up sooner rather than later, or you'll end up way out of it in Ws and Ks, though your ratios should be strong. I do like the Kelly buy at a buck. Sure, he's speculative, but a guy who's had some time to figure it out and can still bring it at 94-95...
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't see a SS listed.

Is this the 18 team league? If so, you look pretty solid on offense. I'm not real keen on Hanley so he needs to produce because instead of spending $24 on him you could have gotten another solid SP or closer. Also a bit iffy on Pujols. Does he have another year in him? Probably, but he's too risky in mind to spend $31 on.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like this team. The players you have that I don't like, you got on the cheap, Cervelli, Bour, Bourjos, Crisp, Ray, so you didn't invest heavily in lots of risk, outside Pollock and Hanley. You may have some OBP problems, this team could really use a Prado or two to fill in one of your fliers.

You'll need saves, but again, you didn't overpay for saves, so that allowed you to have some real solid starters to go with a nice offense. You may eventually need more starting pitching, but if Fernandez and Hamels stay healthy, you are strong at the top end. Troll the waiver wire and you should find a reasonable fill-in or three.

Personally, I think you should be going for it this year. You will want to remove the Pollock albatross for a stud or two to stay in it, but I like your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like this team. The players you have that I don't like, you got on the cheap, Cervelli, Bour, Bourjos, Crisp, Ray, so you didn't invest heavily in lots of risk, outside Pollock and Hanley. You may have some OBP problems, this team could really use a Prado or two to fill in one of your fliers.

You'll need saves, but again, you didn't overpay for saves, so that allowed you to have some real solid starters to go with a nice offense. You may eventually need more starting pitching, but if Fernandez and Hamels stay healthy, you are strong at the top end. Troll the waiver wire and you should find a reasonable fill-in or three.

Personally, I think you should be going for it this year. You will want to remove the Pollock albatross for a stud or two to stay in it, but I like your chances.
          I don't think you are crazy. I like this team too. It will be a big help if Quintana can take the next step (I think he can).

I certainly understand the grabbing of Pollock at $18. I did the same in my only league buying him for $21. I bought him with the intention of trading him for a huge package of X players when the time is right. If somehow I am out of it, I will hang on to him. I actually dropped him as this was the last year of his contract ($10) with the idea of getting him back if it made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            I don't see a SS listed.

Is this the 18 team league? If so, you look pretty solid on offense. I'm not real keen on Hanley so he needs to produce because instead of spending $24 on him you could have gotten another solid SP or closer. Also a bit iffy on Pujols. Does he have another year in him? Probably, but he's too risky in mind to spend $31 on.
            Forgot that one...got aced out on the SS run, so I ended up with Danny Santana for a buck. Even in PT play he could get a dozen steals...

Thanks Tim, I think that Barrios will be up sooner rather than later, as Nolasco sucks hard, and I don't know that Tyler Duffy is a lot better. And I'll have Giolito by the break, maybe sooner if soething happens to one of the Nats starters.

Frankly, I think that Pujols has 2-3 years left in the tank, he's healthy now, and even hut last year, he hit 40 bombs...I think 30 is realistic.

And honestly? I targeted Hanley...LOVE the guy this year. I think that he was embarrassed last year, and being at 1st will help keep the injuries to a minimum. People forget that he hit 10 homers last April before he got hurt, he's also had several over.400 OBP seasons in his career. He's only 31...

And I've always got Pollock as a big chip if I need to make a big deal....
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
            X