Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper Help - NL-Only

Hi,

Our keeper deadline is roughly two weeks away, so I was hoping to get a few opinions on my protections. It's a standard 5x5, NL-Only Auction League. 10 Teams, $280 for 25 (2 C, 2 UT, 10 P), we can keep as many or as few players as we like.

All players are entering their second season unless noted. Players in their option year can be kept at the same price for one more year, or extended at $5 per additional season.

C Francisco Cervelli, Pit $3
    C Derek Norris, SD $6
    1B Joey Votto, Cin $17
    2B/3B Daniel Murphy, Was $10
    2B/3B Anthony Rendon, Was $15 (2 years remaining on long term deal, must keep)
    2B Dilson Herrera, NY $7
    SS Eugenio Suarez, Cin $6
    SS/2B Chris Owings, Ari $6 (Option Year)
    OF Bryce Harper, Was $18 (2 years remaining on long term deal, must keep)
    OF Billy Hamilton, Cin $10 (Option Year)
    OF Jorge Soler, Chi $3 (Option Year)
    OF Odubel Herrera, Phi $1
    OF Domingo Santana, Mil $5
    OF Denard Span, SF $5
    OF Juan Lagares, NY $1 (Option Year)
    OF Peter O’Brien, Ari $6
    OF Darnell Sweeney, Phi $6

P Stephen Strasburg, Was $30
    P Andrew Cashner, SD $18 (Option Year)
    P Joe Ross, Was $5
    P Hyun-Jin Ryu, LA $5
    P John Lamb, Cin $5
    P Jake Peavy, SF $5
    P Mark Melancon, Pit $6 (Last year of long term contract, must keep)
    P Hector Rondon, Chi $6 (Option Year)
    P Arodys Vizcaino, Atl $9

Minors (free to keep, price listed is salary when recalled):

- Lucas Giolito, Was P $10
    - Raimel Tapia, Col OF $10
    - Hunter Renfroe, SD OF $5
    - Brendan Rodgers, Col SS $3

Thank you.

Originally posted by Zupe View Post
    Hi,

Our keeper deadline is roughly two weeks away, so I was hoping to get a few opinions on my protections. It's a standard 5x5, NL-Only Auction League. 10 Teams, $280 for 25 (2 C, 2 UT, 10 P), we can keep as many or as few players as we like.

All players are entering their second season unless noted. Players in their option year can be kept at the same price for one more year, or extended at $5 per additional season.

C Francisco Cervelli, Pit $3C Derek Norris, SD $6
    1B Joey Votto, Cin $17
    2B Dilson Herrera, NY $7
    SS/2B Chris Owings, Ari $6 (Option Year)
    OF Domingo Santana, Mil $5
    OF Denard Span, SF $5

OF Juan Lagares, NY $1 (Option Year)
    OF Peter O’Brien, Ari $6
    OF Darnell Sweeney, Phi $6

P Andrew Cashner, SD $18 (Option Year)
    P Joe Ross, Was $5
    P Hyun-Jin Ryu, LA $5
    P John Lamb, Cin $5
    P Jake Peavy, SF $5
    P Arodys Vizcaino, Atl $9

Thank you.
    I have never played in an NL-only league so take that into consideration.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

C Francisco Cervelli, Pit $3 --- yes
      C Derek Norris, SD $6 --- in all honesty, yes. NL catcher sucks. Go in with 2 and be happy.
      1B Joey Votto, Cin $17 --- oh god yes
      2B/3B Daniel Murphy, Was $10 --- yes
      2B/3B Anthony Rendon, Was $15 (2 years remaining on long term deal, must keep) ---yes
      2B Dilson Herrera, NY $7 -- no
      SS Eugenio Suarez, Cin $6 -- yes
      SS/2B Chris Owings, Ari $6 (Option Year) ---no
      OF Bryce Harper, Was $18 (2 years remaining on long term deal, must keep) --- oh god yes
      OF Billy Hamilton, Cin $10 (Option Year) --- ugh. I think you have to keep him. He'll earn more than that. Would not extend. What I'd want to do is trade him.
      OF Jorge Soler, Chi $3 (Option Year) --- definitely yes. Would not sign extension due to trade risk but assuming you get his ABs for this year if he is moved to the AL, yes. Honestly, as a 5th OF I probably say yes even if you don't. I think he finds 300 ABs.
      OF Odubel Herrera, Phi $1 --- yes
      OF Domingo Santana, Mil $5 --- borderline for a 10-teamer, but I think with 2 UTs, I would lean towards yes.
      OF Denard Span, SF $5 ---- I think you have to keep him
      OF Juan Lagares, NY $1 (Option Year) -- no
      OF Peter O’Brien, Ari $6 -- no
      OF Darnell Sweeney, Phi $6 --- no

P Stephen Strasburg, Was $30 --- What will it cost to get him back? Your keepers rock. The one thing you need is an ace. I'd prefer a different one, but if Scherzer/Kershaw go 40+, maybe he's a keeper.
      P Andrew Cashner, SD $18 (Option Year) ---- no
      P Joe Ross, Was $5 --- yes
      P Hyun-Jin Ryu, LA $5 --- hmmmm. I think I have to see him actually pitch so I say no.
      P John Lamb, Cin $5 ---no in a 10-teamer
      P Jake Peavy, SF $5 - see Lamb
      P Mark Melancon, Pit $6 (Last year of long term contract, must keep) --- yes
      P Hector Rondon, Chi $6 (Option Year) --- yes, would not extend
      P Arodys Vizcaino, Atl $9 --- I think no, Grilli probably starts with the job and you have 2 others

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        OF Billy Hamilton, Cin $10 (Option Year) --- ugh. I think you have to keep him. He'll earn more than that. Would not extend. What I'd want to do is trade him.
        I think I like Hamilton more than a lot of people, he's a definite keeper for me, and I was even considering a one year extension, though leaning towards no.

OF Jorge Soler, Chi $3 (Option Year) --- definitely yes. Would not sign extension due to trade risk but assuming you get his ABs for this year if he is moved to the AL, yes. Honestly, as a 5th OF I probably say yes even if you don't. I think he finds 300 ABs.
        We lose players if they're traded to the AL (other than getting their salary back as FAAB). I'm a little worried about his ABs and or losing him completely, but I probably agree he's a keeper at $3

P Stephen Strasburg, Was $30 --- What will it cost to get him back? Your keepers rock. The one thing you need is an ace. I'd prefer a different one, but if Scherzer/Kershaw go 40+, maybe he's a keeper.
        As of now, I'm leaning towards throwing him back, as I think he'd go cheaper off a down year, but I also don't like coming in needing that much starting pitching, as our league has some years where there's a frenzy on starters. Scherzer went $36 last year, and will be kept I assume, Kershaw is on an overpriced long term contract, so will be off the market as well.

I'm actually almost in complete agreement with the list you gave, though I'm a little hesitant to come in with 6 OFs and needing so much pitching.

Thanks

Comment

I missed Votto. Definitely keep him.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

agree with JC but i'd probably keep ryu at $5, even with the injury/recovery risk...
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I think I like Hamilton more than a lot of people, he's a definite keeper for me, and I was even considering a one year extension, though leaning towards no.

We lose players if they're traded to the AL (other than getting their salary back as FAAB). I'm a little worried about his ABs and or losing him completely, but I probably agree he's a keeper at $3

As of now, I'm leaning towards throwing him back, as I think he'd go cheaper off a down year, but I also don't like coming in needing that much starting pitching, as our league has some years where there's a frenzy on starters. Scherzer went $36 last year, and will be kept I assume, Kershaw is on an overpriced long term contract, so will be off the market as well.

I'm actually almost in complete agreement with the list you gave, though I'm a little hesitant to come in with 6 OFs and needing so much pitching.

Thanks
              With Hamilton, Span, Doobie and chip-ins from Harper, you have speed covered, and with Votto/Murphy/Cervelli/Harper probably covering Hamilton's AVG, you are in a reasonably good position to approach 50 points of offense. . You have 2 cheap closers. If things get desperate you can always deal Giolito for a haul.

Needing SPs is tough, but the NL has a decent amount of them, and honestly you might be able to load up on MRs and almost punt wins and Ks and still win. In fact there's some argument for keeping Ryu, loading up on MRs early and then charging into mid-pack in wins and Ks when you get Giolito and Ryu into the lineup.

In my 12-team NL league I'd be thrilled to get someone like Matt Joyce as my 6th OF/2nd UT. Not sure how much different 10 teams is than 12 but I still think Soler is worth the risk.

Comment

Can you try to trade Herrera for Scherzer? Young guy with SB at a now-scarce NL position. But you don't need the SB.

Comment

Agree with JC, but I'd also keep Ryu & Peavy.
                  Also agree with JC that your keepers rock
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

On the who to keep/extend question, I agree 99% with JC. I'd throw back Joe Ross. 6 outfielders kept, but you have 2 UTs so that's ok.

Comment

Thanks
                      I like Hamilton more than most too. I would/am give/giving Hamilton the year as well. You have enough other good BA to cover his.

Soler is a good $3 gamble.

If there are no better starting pitchers than Stras back in the auction combined with one or two other teams needing an Ace, I would keep him. If there are a couple that you like better, I would throw him back. It is not a terrible price where he is.

Comment

I need to think a little more on Strasburg and/or Ryu. We tend to have some surprise players, especially SPs, protected at prices way above their value, so it's always difficult for me to predict exactly what will be available at the auction. Otherwise, this has helped, in that it mostly confirmed what I was thinking - Thanks!

Comment

C Francisco Cervelli, Pit $3
                          C Derek Norris, SD $6
                          1B Joey Votto, Cin $17
                          OF Denard Span, SF $5

P Joe Ross, Was $5

Comment

I agree with JC's across the board.
                            Ryu made the 'don't draft' list for probably all of us this last week I suppose.

Comment

dunno - ryu's news isn't that unexpected. probably not worth $5 now, but if you get him as a late-round flyer ($1 or $2) i'd take him. depending on whether your league allows keepers to be stashed on the DL all year or not, maybe though.
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X