2k16: Gerrit Cole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k16: Gerrit Cole

A tale of 3 pitchers. One of whom is a lefty, but reminds me an awful lot of Cole. The other had a historic season last year and you might not realize how close his numbers are to Cole.

Pitcher A: 2.66 FIP, 3.16 xFIP... 8.7 K/9, 1.9 BB/9 (24.3 K% and 5.3 BB% if you prefer) ... 48% GB rate
    Pitcher B: 2.87 FIP, 3.02 xFIP... 9.7 K/9, 1.6 BB/9 (26.9% and 4.5%) ... 42% GB rate
    Pitcher C: 2.76 FIP, 3.22 xFIP... 8.1 K/9, 1.6 BB/9 (23.7% and 4.7%) ... 48% GB rate

Pitcher A is Cole. Pitcher C is Zack Greinke. Pitcher B is Madison Bumgarner.

The big question with Cole is, will the Ks ever come? After a jump in the 2nd half of 2014, a lot of people thought they'd come in 2015. But that just doesn't seem to be the way the Pirates pitch. Ray Searage preaches "3 pitches or less" and throwing 2 seamers to get ground balls.

I'm not sure Cole ever really takes that next step and adds 50 Ks to his line, but considering his park and the peripherals above, would it shock you if he someday matched the season Greinke put up in 2015?

Gerrit Cole pitching for UCLA in 2010:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
    X