Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs Expanding

Per Rotoworld:

Commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday that MLB is moving toward expanding its playoff pool to 10 teams.
    The current setup calls for all six division winners and two wild card teams to advance to the postseason. But Selig seems to think that a full wild-card round would be a better format, with all six division winners drawing a bye. "The more we've talked about it, I think we're moving inexorably to that," said the commissioner. "But there's a myriad of details to work out."

So essentially it would add an extra wild card team in each league. The two wild card teams would play each other and the winner would advance to the Divisional Series.

Thoughts?

No. Baseball's regular season is more important than other sports regular seasons and it should stay that way.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Having teams not playing for a week to 10 days would be really bad. Baseball is all about being in a rhythm and keeping the same routine. Now with what Selig wants teams will be thrown off that routine just so he can make more money. Also, the season runs too long as it is, now they are going to be playing right up to Thanksgiving. I assume they would have to shorten the regular season but owners wouldn't go for that, especially the crappy teams that never make the playoffs.

It's an awful idea and I'm not surprised that Selig is pushing for it.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Having teams not playing for a week to 10 days would be really bad. Baseball is all about being in a rhythm and keeping the same routine. Now with what Selig wants teams will be thrown off that routine just so he can make more money. Also, the season runs too long as it is, now they are going to be playing right up to Thanksgiving. I assume they would have to shorten the regular season but owners wouldn't go for that, especially the crappy teams that never make the playoffs.

It's an awful idea and I'm not surprised that Selig is pushing for it.
        Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's perfect the way it is now, except the Wild Card Round needs to be 7 games. I think Selig equates change to growth and that's just not necessarily the case, especially with something as steeped in tradition as baseball.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I'm for having a play-in game for the non-division winners. It would then put the WC team at the double disadvantage of opening on the road and potentially w/o the staff ace putting more incentive on winning the division. If it isn't that model, I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            I'm for having a play-in game for the non-division winners. It would then put the WC team at the double disadvantage of opening on the road and potentially w/o the staff ace putting more incentive on winning the division. If it isn't that model, I hate it.
            From what it says above, I read it as a full 5 game round, not just one game. If it were one game between the two wild card teams then that would be ok. But I doubt that's the case. But isn't that what the 162 games are for? One game shouldn't make that much of a difference.

What if one wild card teams wins 95 games and the other wild card team only won 86 and the 86 win team happens to have their ace coming up in the rotation while the other team has it's 4th starter one game to determine that just isn't right.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
              Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's perfect the way it is now, except the Wild Card Round needs to be 7 games. I think Selig equates change to growth and that's just not necessarily the case, especially with something as steeped in tradition as baseball.
              Well... it kinda IS broke. Baseball just doesn't draw like it should. As we all know, it's a vastly superior game to football and yet it is clearly the older ugly step-sister sport. Baseball is no longer America's pastime. Perhaps Selig has data that shows that more playoff games will increase fan interest. Sure, it waters it down. Sure, it weakens the postseason. Sure, all those days off is going to effect teams negatively. But then, those are OUR concerns, not theirs. Are any of us going to quit following baseball because two more teams make it in? I don't think so. But, if it gets more fans involved, then it is a good thing from a financial standpoint.

Comment

So, they're going to add a playoff round which means the playoffs will go at least another week? Are you kidding me? Why not just plan it so that Game 5 of the World Series is always on Thanksgiving Day and Games 6 and 7 are that weekend? Or how about Christmas day? WTF? The season is already too long now that it runs to November. Let's make it longer.

Comment

Don't like it. But I also HATE a 5-game playoff series. I'd rather them shorten the regular season back to 154 games or whatever, and make the 1st round 7 games. If you want to add a 1-game WC play-in like Jason says, fine. But all playoff series should be the same length.

Comment

I like the play-in idea too. I don't know about another round unless they reduce the season to 156 games.
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I don't like the idea for the reasons already cited. 1. It makes the regular season a little less meaningful, and makes pennany races more meaningless. 2. Baseball is a rhythm game meant to be played almost every day. Having the top teams all sittings that long would be bad. It would let all managers set their pitchers, which I guess is good, but I still don't like it.

Comment

I'm still against it, but apparently the worst case scenario is a 3-game series, with a 1-game playoff still being discussed. MLB's reasoning for adding this is actually to make the regular season MORE meaningful and in a way I agree, it will be far more advantageous to win your division and teams won't be as content to just settle for the wild card. The pennant races for the divisions will have a good bit more incentive. As a wild card you will have to win an additional round, your fate will rest on an even more random 1 or 3 games, and you won't get the opportunity to set your rotation like the division winners.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                          I'm still against it, but apparently the worst case scenario is a 3-game series, with a 1-game playoff still being discussed. MLB's reasoning for adding this is actually to make the regular season MORE meaningful and in a way I agree, it will be far more advantageous to win your division and teams won't be as content to just settle for the wild card. The pennant races for the divisions will have a good bit more incentive. As a wild card you will have to win an additional round, your fate will rest on an even more random 1 or 3 games, and you won't get the opportunity to set your rotation like the division winners.
                          With that explanation, I'm coming around on the idea. A three game series does make it a big advantage to win your division and avoid being a wildcard team. My primary worry was watering down the regular season, but that would push teams to compete all year.

Comment

I could get on board with a three-game series.
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                            X