Crazy pickoff play idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy pickoff play idea

After watching this Jon Lester pickoff throw ( http://m.mlb.com/video/v72546383/cin...game_pk=413743 ) debacle, I had a thought. I wonder if anyone has ever tried a "fake" bad pickoff throw, to lure the baserunner into thinking the throw was errant when it really wasn't. I think basecoaches would be savvy to such a ploy, but it might work something like this:

Runner on first gets lead. RF sneaks in to area near foul line behind 1B. Pitcher makes "errant" pickoff throw and one-hops it to RF who is back behind the bag near foul line or something. 1B acts like the throw is bad and gives chase, runner thinks it's going to bounce around for a while and takes off for 2nd only to be gunned down by the RF who gets the ball on one hop and fires quickly to 2nd.

I wonder if something like that has ever been attempted. Probably would only work once, but still...

You mean like in Little Big League?
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
      You mean like in Little Big League?
      Don't think I've seen it, but it sounds like maybe I do.

Comment

It'd be a lot easier to run it at second because the CF is at least straight back, so they just have to creep up a ways instead of obviously getting way out of position.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Yeah, my guess is this would work great if not for the obvious fact that a pro first base coach would be all over it and hold the runner.

Comment

I think it would be considered a balk under MLB rules

Comment

It was supposedly already done in a game, but not MLB:

Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Working...
              X