AL FAABing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL FAABing

It's my AL league's first year with FAAB (I've used it before) and our commish sent out an e-mail highlighting the 2B vacancy in MIN and the fact that Fuld is stealing bases. I didn't like it - it's name dropping.

I own Nishioka but have Nix as a stopgap. Hughes is a 3B in our league and I currently have 3, so I won't even be able to use him until he has 15 GP.

I have lots of SB and AJones as a stopgap OF. It probably doesn't make sense for me to bid, but how much are Hughes and Fuld worth in a vaccuum?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    It's my AL league's first year with FAAB (I've used it before) and our commish sent out an e-mail highlighting the 2B vacancy in MIN and the fact that Fuld is stealing bases. I didn't like it - it's name dropping.

I own Nishioka but have Nix as a stopgap. Hughes is a 3B in our league and I currently have 3, so I won't even be able to use him until he has 15 GP.

I have lots of SB and AJones as a stopgap OF. It probably doesn't make sense for me to bid, but how much are Hughes and Fuld worth in a vaccuum?
    I don't think it is appropriate for an owner (even the commish) to suggest free agent candidates to the other owners. Regardless of the stated intent, the practical effect of this is to plant the idea that owners might benefit from picking up the Nishioka replacement for possible trade to the Nishioka owner, and to plant the idea that Fuld could be a good target. Could there be possible benefits to the commish from these players being bid up?

To me, this is similar to suggesting to another owner who to nominate in the auction. There, as in free agency, I think we should row our own boats.

Comment

I think his main motivation is to get other owners to spend their FAAB dollars early.

I own Nishioka and Damon/Jennings so I probably have more interest in handcuffing Fuld than anyone else. He also made me an offer which included Nix, so maybe he wants me to think about trading someone and using FAAB to fill the void. I just e-mailed him telling him I think his message was inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        I don't think it is appropriate for an owner (even the commish) to suggest free agent candidates to the other owners. Regardless of the stated intent, the practical effect of this is to plant the idea that owners might benefit from picking up the Nishioka replacement for possible trade to the Nishioka owner, and to plant the idea that Fuld could be a good target. Could there be possible benefits to the commish from these players being bid up?

To me, this is similar to suggesting to another owner who to nominate in the auction. There, as in free agency, I think we should row our own boats.
        What is the problem with suggesting something? Trying to get someone else to do your "dirty work" is just as viable of a strategy as saying nothing. No one is obligated to follow your advice...

Comment

Trying to get someone else to do your dirty work is not the same as saying nothing. By getting someone else to do your dirty work, you receive a benefit. It seems collusive to me.

Let's say I suggest to your closest competitor that he buy Fuld as a free agent. I also suggest that I would trade Jeff Francis for Fuld. Only a couple of suggestions. But, to me, a lot more like collusion.

Or say you needed a certain free agent very badly. The commish, who is your closest competitor, suggests to everyone that they go out and purchase the free agent you need very badly. It's a suggestion which, if followed, would give your competition an advantage.

What if one owner told another before the auction "hey, if you happened to wind up with Matt Kemp in the auction, I would be agreeable to trading Roy Halladay for him". All thee things are just suggestions, not obligating one, but creating a situation which brings in the issue of collusion.

We had a problem with this in a league a few years ago. A couple of owners were doing a sign and trade thing, where one would pay enough to make sure he got the particular free agent, and then immediately traded him to the other owner for a pre-determined player. That was straight-up collusion. What virgonomic describes is close enough to make it inappropriate, at least in my opinion.

Comment

you (lucky) covered it totally
            Last edited by wannabegriffey; 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

A very key element in the definition of collusion is that it is "a secret agreement." If I say to everyone that Fuld is the top free agent hitter or that during the auction someone should nominate Kemp, there is no secret and there is no agreement to do anything.

Comment

How much are Hughes and Fuld worth in a vaccuum? FAAB processed in 8.5h.

Comment

Here's what happened...

Kotchman 7
                  LHughes 6 (me)
                  Fuld 17 (!)
                  Kennedy 1
                  Chatwood 1

Comment

In our 12-team AL-only, Fuld went for $37 and Hughes for $32. I bid on both, but was shut out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      In our 12-team AL-only, Fuld went for $37 and Hughes for $32. I bid on both, but was shut out.
                      WOW! $100 budget? Hughes could end up being a 6-week fill in. He will be 2B eligible in 2 weeks though which is why I 'ponied up' to get him.

I looked at the FA class of 2010 and aside from Prince I don't see many impact players so I don't think there will be much to save your FAAB dollars for.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        WOW! $100 budget? Hughes could end up being a 6-week fill in. He will be 2B eligible in 2 weeks though which is why I 'ponied up' to get him.

I looked at the FA class of 2010 and aside from Prince I don't see many impact players so I don't think there will be much to save your FAAB dollars for.
                        Yeah, I could see Fuld going for that, since he might get a lot of PT...at least enough to steal 15 or 20 bags at the rate he is going. I thought Luke was a little high, since a return by Nishioka could wreck his PT.

I do generally agree with the idea of spending early and often, just not so much unless it's somebody really strong.

Comment

11 tm, AL only, 5x5
                          Fuld $15
                          Hughes $10

Comment

10 TEAM AL ONLY $75 FAAB:

Fuld - $12 (me)
                            Hughes - $10

I'm also a big proponent of spending early and often and will pay what it takes to get a player like Fuld who *could* get me a full season batting lead-off and nabbing SB -- high risk, high reward. And if not he's still better than Lastings Milledge. And for the record, I don't think posting PUBLIC messages about upcoming FAAB/player updates is wrong. I've been known stir up our message board by not only announcing player names but sometimes exactly how much I plan to bid. Or I'll post threats like "If you want Fuld tonight, you better spend BIG because I will stop at nothing to sign him." Sometimes I'll follow through with a big bid, and other times I won't even place a bid. All in good fun and I enjoy bringing a little psychological warfare into the FAAB process.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
                              10 TEAM AL ONLY $75 FAAB:

Fuld - $12 (me)
                              Hughes - $10

I'm also a big proponent of spending early and often and will pay what it takes to get a player like Fuld who *could* get me a full season batting lead-off and nabbing SB -- high risk, high reward. And if not he's still better than Lastings Milledge. And for the record, I don't think posting PUBLIC messages about upcoming FAAB/player updates is wrong. I've been known stir up our message board by not only announcing player names but sometimes exactly how much I plan to bid. Or I'll post threats like "If you want Fuld tonight, you better spend BIG because I will stop at nothing to sign him." Sometimes I'll follow through with a big bid, and other times I won't even place a bid. All in good fun and I enjoy bringing a little psychological warfare into the FAAB process.
                              Yeah, that's a good point about puffing the player and the psychological game. When you put it like you did, it seems fine and fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X