Boxscore Hungry Freaks-- Like Lucky Said--HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxscore Hungry Freaks-- Like Lucky Said--HDID

Tough draft in my 15 team mixed 5x5 Dynasty roto. Tough competition, inflation around 35%. I went in bottom half in keeper value with little money. $150 only to spend. I targeted one high dollar guy as I'd kept 2 others and then sat back and waited for all the other bankrolls to come down to my level. I went a bit pitching heavy, but That's what I did last year and it seemed to work.

Here's what I ended up with:

C Nick Hundley $1 Keeper
    C Chris Iannetta $2 Keeper
    1B Mark Teixeira $44
    CI Carlos Pena $15
    3B Brandon Inge $1

2B Ben Zorbist $10 Keeper
    MI Brian Roberts $15
    SS Marco Scutaro $1
    (though I'm starting Alex Gonzales, reserve pick)
    OF Carl Crawford $43 Keeper
    OF Andres Torres $1 Keeper
    OF Alfonso Soriano $7
    OF Carlos Gomez $6
    OF Nate McClouth $5
    DH Cameron Maybin $1

P King Felix $37 Keeper
    P Chris Carpenter $27
    P Wandy Rodriguez $13 Keeper
    P Derek Lowe $3
    P Tim Stauffer $1 Keeper
    P Steven Strasburg $2 (replaced by Chris Young, reserve pick)
    P Hong Kuo $1 Keeper
    P Leo Nunez $2 Keeper
    P Craig Kimbrell $15

Now I drafted Strasburg for $2 as my last guy, thinking I could replace him in the reserve round where I grabbed C Young and Homer Bailey-- I also grabbed Tyler Clippard and had kept Corey Luebke as minor leaguer so to me, my pitching seems fine. My hitting is gonna take some working on-- I got no help in the reserve round outside of A Gonzalez, J Jay and possible LuCroy.

I went prospect heavy drafting Trout, Rizzo, Kelly, Castro, Lamb then keeping Mejia and a last pick flyer on Cole (high school arm projected to go 1 or 2 this year)--

I think I can find the bottom end of the money if I manage well, hit the waiver wire and deal some of my kids or the $2 Strasburg, but if I struggle-- I've 4 trade chips in Crawford, Teixeira, King and Carpenter to build for next year.

What's your take on my draft and this team?

Thanks guys!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

BA or OBP league, Doig? If it's BA, you're in trouble there with the BA-death combination of Pena and Inge. Plenty of wheels, OK power. I like your staff, though I'd start Bailey ahead of CYoung. Roberts for 15 is a great high-risk, high-reward play.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      BA or OBP league, Doig? If it's BA, you're in trouble there with the BA-death combination of Pena and Inge. Plenty of wheels, OK power. I like your staff, though I'd start Bailey ahead of CYoung. Roberts for 15 is a great high-risk, high-reward play.
      I knew I was tanking BA, but with my short stack of cash, I went for the glory stats of HRs and Sbs, like I said--this is the least happy I've been with a draft in a long time.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

you know your team's in trouble when no one can even think of something to say about it

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It's a hard team to analyze. It looks good in runs and stolen bases. That sort of team usually has a good average, but your team projects a low batting average. It is strong in ERA and Whip, and pretty strong in Saves, but Wins and Ks look pretty bad.

Since the things you mostly need are Wins, Ks, Home Runs and RBIs, you should be able to bring things around. A couple of starting pitchers and a couple of sluggers and you would be there. Right now, however, I think you are right about in the same position I am in so far as standings are concerned.

It's sort of odd. I thought during the auction that you were doing a good job, and when I look at your roster it looks like a good team. But, sort of like my team, when you start adding up the numbers there are some holes.

Fortunately, you are a good trader. I think you can go either way. I think you can shore up your starting pitching and add some thunder to the offense, or you have the right chips to build a squad for next year. I don't think you have to make a decision any time soon, so you can afford to see if this squad will produce well and give you a reasonable shot for 2011.

Comment

Working...
          X