No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padres manager Bob Melvin says that Juan Soto will play LF this year. Looks like Tatis will play RF. With the Bogaerts signing, this may be Tatis' last season for eligibility at SS.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Padres sign Michael Wacha pending physical. Going with a 6 man rotation out of the gate. Drew Pomeranz is also apparently looking good to start the season. Chatter about signing Profar, but I don;t see where he'd fit.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Manny Machado confirmed Friday that he intends to opt out of his contract with the Padres following the 2023 season.

I guess $30 million per year doesn't go as far as it used to.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Manny Machado confirmed Friday that he intends to opt out of his contract with the Padres following the 2023 season.

I guess $30 million per year doesn't go as far as it used to.

Inflation's a bitch.

Surprised he would be announcing that at this time. Not a great "teammate move".

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

Inflation's a bitch.

Surprised he would be announcing that at this time. Not a great "teammate move".
            He'd already spoken with preller about this, his teammates as well. The Padres will extend him before he opts

And FWIW, he's a great teammate and arguably the Padres captain.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• For sure, MVP season incoming.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

He'd already spoken with preller about this, his teammates as well. The Padres will extend him before he opts

And FWIW, he's a great teammate and arguably the Padres captain.
                Ok, I wasn't aware of those details.

Still, do you think that's wise to announce your intentions so far in advance? I really don't see any benefit to himself, his team or his teammates. He could always have discussed an extension anyway. Also doesn't help the Padres in trade talks if things go off the rails.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

Ok, I wasn't aware of those details.

Still, do you think that's wise to announce your intentions so far in advance? I really don't see any benefit to himself, his team or his teammates. He could always have discussed an extension anyway. Also doesn't help the Padres in trade talks if things go off the rails.
                  There's been a top of chatter this off-season, mostly by other fan bases and some of their media regarding IF Machado would opt out and how they hope their team makes a run at him. It was discussed with Manny at Fan Fest and with Preller several times, the team (Preller and Seidler) have said they want Manny to be a Padre for life and if you watch the press conference, you could almost see Manny smile like he's got a secret. I think the announcement was to troll the folks opining he'll play elsewhere in 2023. The buzz is, he's going to get a new contract 12 years 345 million. The Padres are locking up their guys as they strive to unseat LA as the perennial power in the NL West. Darvish, Musgrove, Suarez, Martinez, Xander, and Tatis are just the beginning, they're already over the threshold (2nd tier close to the 3rd tier) So Manny, Soto and possibly Snell might get paid this year too. I also think they'll make a run at Ohtani or Burnes at the deadline should either one be available. If that happens, they'll most likely extend whichever one they get--I know they'll offer the highest amount for Ohtani in 24 even if it makes them the owners of the largest payroll in MLB.

As for trading Manny, I can't see that happening--The Padres would have to utterly collapse (I know 2021) to not be in contention at the deadline. Plus I see Machado getting the new contract before the season even starts.

After 45 years of fandom (most of it watching sad teams) it's amazing to be a Padre fan right now. I can only hope it bears fruit and can be sustained.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Machado 11yr, $350m extension

Comment

• Good call GITH

Comment

• So, the opt out threat was just Manny's way of saying hurry up and give me my money now. Since they helped get the contract done, does the writer who reported it get a percentage of the money? Manny could at least buy them a car.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Soto gets paid next

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• GITH/Doig - who is likely the smart investment in roto auctions (relative to cost) this year? Tatis? Machado? Soto?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                              GITH/Doig - who is likely the smart investment in roto auctions (relative to cost) this year? Tatis? Machado? Soto?
                              My money would be on Soto since he is the one playing for a contract.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                                GITH/Doig - who is likely the smart investment in roto auctions (relative to cost) this year? Tatis? Machado? Soto?
                                Honestly, I feel (just a feeling-no proof) that the Padres are going to steamroll the NL West and have a very good shot at winning it all. Soto in OBP leagues of course, but people are going to sleep on Tatis--he'll only miss 20 games and has something to prove he should be the discount. Machado is a very solid player who could exceed last years numbers. This is all of course base on a healthy season. Grisham is my Padre sleeper, but Tatis is right there as some have dropped him from top 5 ADP to somewhere in the 20s. Hope that helps a bit.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X