Highball Scoring Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highball Scoring Changes

We've all seen how the changes in scoring have changed the values of players, and our keepers.

I would like us all to engage in a discussion about how we looking at the RJ Highball League.

Specifically - bringing balance to the scoring categories.

It might mean things like 3pt%, ast/to, changing OREB/DREB --> REB.

Just some ideas. It seems to me our league is favouring either front or back court and it would be great to find a way to make the bigs and smalls as even as possible.

RR

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
    We've all seen how the changes in scoring have changed the values of players, and our keepers.

I would like us all to engage in a discussion about how we looking at the RJ Highball League.

Specifically - bringing balance to the scoring categories.

It might mean things like 3pt%, ast/to, changing OREB/DREB --> REB.

Just some ideas. It seems to me our league is favouring either front or back court and it would be great to find a way to make the bigs and smalls as even as possible.

RR
    So how would you propose to do it? I see some catagories tossed out there, but how would you propose to balance things out?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I will do some analysis on it and come back with a recommendation, or three. Just need to find the time.

Also interested in ideas and discussion on things to look at from league members.

Comment

Did you want to change the keeper nature of the league? Either adding or subtracting keepers I think would make it better.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

No interest in subtracting keepers mjl. Adding them is interesting.

I have been checking out multiple scoring configurations - hard to make it all work while remaining logical as to which player(s) are the best in the league.

I hope to share some thoughts shortly but I have not come to an epiphany on this topic at all.

Comment

Keep at it Simon...I simply lack the math skills to make any sort of contribution. Gotta know your limitations.

Any and all suggestions will certainly be considered...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The league is started in Yahoo. Once I see Hornsby signup I will transfer the commish to him. Everyone should have received invites.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                The league is started in Yahoo. Once I see Hornsby signup I will transfer the commish to him. Everyone should have received invites.
                I'm in Piney...sure you don't want to herd these cats again?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Apologies fellas.

Since my last post I have been sick enough to miss work for 4 weeks. Couldn't even read my screen for a while.

For the scoring changes this is what I can tell you all. No Kevin Seitzer-ness or number crunching back up.

In my basketballmonster (BBM) using per game, and even total value) I see that the top 11 ranked players, looked OK. Do I agree 100%? Nope - but the top "1st rd" wasn't awful.

The problem? in "rd2" there were 9 of 11 PF/C positions. IMO it is OREBs and DREBs that weights things to the big men in our league. (and as a Drummond owner/keeper this is tough to admit)

So I looked at mixing and matching all sorts of stats ... including/excluding 3pt%, stls+blks, just REBs, assist-TO rate, TO as an adding category inclusion.

I couldn't find a match to reflect what i'd hope we would all think as to who the best NBA players are. I mean, Chris Paul and Stephen Curry are awesome to own - but the best fantasy player? Or in my case, is Drummond really worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Personally I would like to see the keeper max increase, at the choice of the owner. I think adding 1 keeper wouldn't harm the league that much. Without the D-League being a true minors system for the NBA we're limited. I like keepers - their value to trade (ahem - Horns - Dragic arguments dead on after those vetoes).

Lastly, I want to put an end to vetoes unless there is something like a 75% veto. Prefer to not leave it to Commish discretion (no offense Horns but I have had BAD experiences on commish rule). Any trade that is totally out of wack should have a ton of owners involved saying 'no'.

OK - back to getting better. Pain meds wearing off. Gaps in logic blamed on the meds.

/blab

Comment

I think that we can put the keeper expansion up to a league vote once we see where we are. Maybe drop the whole offensive and defensive rebounding stats and simply go with rebounds as one category.

There will NO vetos this year, if a deal is egregious enough to warrant a vote, it'll be a public vote, and it should require at least a majority of the owners to overturn a deal. I trust everyone in here to run their own teams, we're all adults, so let's keep it fun.

Please check in, we'll start a new thread for the 2014/2015 season as soon as we see where we stand with league owners.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

One other note - the most balanced configuration I could see in BBM.com was the Yahoo default which uses the negative TO statistic which iirc some are not fans of.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                        One other note - the most balanced configuration I could see in BBM.com was the Yahoo default which uses the negative TO statistic which iirc some are not fans of.
                        If that's the best configuration, I can live with a negative category...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Work is crazy. I jusat went 10-11 back to back days. I will not have time for this, sorry guys. I have some nice keepers.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I stand corrected. Yahoo rankings don't really chance the PF/C vs everyone else thing much, at least in the first 2 rounds.

No idea how to acheive balance. Perhaps it isn't there.

Would be interested in expanding keepers but am fine if this idea doesn't draw much interest.

Still curious if we can do off season or pre-draft trading (once draft picks are determined). I may have a few guys others may want to deal for. Funnier things have happened.

Comment

I am in. I would very much like to expand keepers.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X