Big trade: Mavs and Knicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big trade: Mavs and Knicks

Knicks send Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to the Dallas Mavericks for Samuel Dalembert, Jose Calderon, Shane Larkin and Wayne Ellington and the Mavericks' two second-round picks: 34th and 51st.

Nce haul for a 31 year old post player with injury issues and an underperforming PG. Calderon has the size and court sense to run the triangle. Larkin is the likely key to the deal. Small but very athletic, he flashed good potential on a team that could not afford to give him steady minutes. The #34 pick is also valuable. 2nd round picks get only a one year contract. Most teams would rather an early 2nd than a late 1st.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I've always liked Calderon. I didn't realize that Larkin was actually a good player.

Comment

I think it's a good trade for both teams.

Carmelo and Chandler reportedly love playing together and it's no secret that Dallas is going to be going after LeBron or Carmelo. So that could be a factor as well.

Chandler gives them the post presence they were sorely lacking last season and is a guy they've missed since they let him go.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I've always liked Calderon. I didn't realize that Larkin was actually a good player.
        ACC Player of the Year. 44" vertical at the Combine. The downside is sub 6 feet and injuries last year. He will never be a stud, but he is crazy athletic.
        Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        I think it's a good trade for both teams.

Carmelo and Chandler reportedly love playing together and it's no secret that Dallas is going to be going after LeBron or Carmelo. So that could be a factor as well.

Chandler gives them the post presence they were sorely lacking last season and is a guy they've missed since they let him go.
        I can see Carmelo in Dallas. I am less sure about LeBron. More likely someone like Chandler Parsons. Chandler first and Chandler last.

The Mavericks did not exactly let Tyson Chandler go. The Knicks crazy owner buried him in cash. Even Cuban could not compete.

An Ellis, Melo, Dirk trio could be the best scoring threesome ever. Pair that with Chandler/Wright at 5, with Shawn Marion off the bench. All they need is team defense and solid PG play.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 06-26-2014, 11:53 AM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I think it was a very important trade just to dump Felton, and Chandler really spent most of last year in a physical and psychological funk. He needed the change of scenery. So regardless of the return, I think it was addition by subtraction for the Knicks. They should let Melo go, focus on acquiring prospects and cap space, get themselves a good lottery pick next year, and then pursue free agents for 15-16.

Comment

The Knicks also picked up a local kid, Cory Jefferson, and the best player of Wichita States 35-1 team, Cleanthony Early. Both are athletic tweeners that can run, but lack a polished offensive game. They will have a lot to learn/prove about playing in space. Early will have to play 3, so his defense is untried and his jump shot is weak. That said, he would have gone about #20 last year.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The Mavericks add the extra scorer. Houston declines to match on Parson Chandler. This gives the Mavericks a long 3 who can handle the ball. He's not quite a young Shawn Marion, but of a similar type. With Ellis, Dirk and now Parsons, this team can rain jumpers. Post scoring is more limited and point play is a potential issue. Still, I have to like what Dallas is doing this year.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

That's Chandler Parsons. Entire family is insanely good athletically. One of my best friends is his cousin & we played ball a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  That's Chandler Parsons. Entire family is insanely good athletically. One of my best friends is his cousin & we played ball a few times
                  Sorry. Old joke. At least I did it right the second time.

The athleticism is something the Mavs need. With Tyson Chandler in the middle, they have the makings of a good defense.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                  X