Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best pop/rock song of the 20th century..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best pop/rock song of the 20th century..

Best song from each decade 1920's - 1990's. Eight song playoff to determine the winner. No voting. My decision is final

Year - Song - ranking for playoff

1920's - West End Blues (Louis Armstrong) #7
    Perhaps Armstrongs greatest song and he definitely should be represented.

1930's - Sing Sing Sing (Benny Goodman) #3
    Even if you don't know the name of this song, you know the melody. Just beats out Glenn Miller's In the Mood and Robert Johnson's Crossroad Blues.

1940's - Take the A-train (Duke Ellington) #5
    One of the great jazz standards by one of the greatest musicians in the 20th century.

1950's - Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry) #1
    The rock song that defines the genre. Beats out "Rock around the Clock" and Elvis.

1960's - Like a Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan) #4
    The next song that changed rock music. Beats out the Beatles, Aretha, Hendrix and the Beach Boys.

1970's - Stairway to Heaven (Zeppelin) #2
    It's phenomenal even if you're sick of it, which I'm not.

1980's - Radio Free Europe (REM) #8
    The 80's were a little weak but this song pretty much set the standard for alternative music. Find another song that sounded like this when it came out. Edges out "When Doves Cry", and "Sweet Child o Mine".

1990's - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) #6
    Easy choice. A powerful song.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

First round.

(1) Johhny B Goode v. (8) Radio Free Europe
    Chuck Berry in a romp. Berry establishes the future of rock and roll guitar with this song and what's rock and roll without guitar. Nothing

(2) Stairway to Heaven v. (7) West End Blues
    Stairway in a "closer than many thought" win over Mr. Armstrong. The jazz standard falls just short as Page busts out his greatest solo and Plant and Bonham seal the victory in the final minute of the song.

(3) Sing Sing Sing v. (6) Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Benny and his band put the hurt on Kurt.

(4) Like a Rolling Stone v. (5)Take the A Train
    At the buzzer Dylan takes this round over one of the all-time greats. Like a Rolling Stone is just to strong for Duke to knock off.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Final Four:

(1) Johnny B. Goode v. (4) Like a Rolling Stone
      Two seemingly different types of songs, but they both tell a story. Both songs are poetic and full of imagery. Chuck pulls it out at the last second as his songs riffing and timelessness edge out Bob's sneering powerful sarcasm.

(2) Stairway to Heaven v. (3) Swing Swing Swing
      In a slight upset Gene Krupa drops a bombastic drum solo to outdo Bonham and company. Goodman's clarinet works its magic to triumph over what many consider the gretest rock and roll song ever.

Comment

You either have incredible one-handed typing skills or had this all typed out beforehand (because there's no way you're not stroking yourself).
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

THE FINALS:

(1) Johnny B Goode v. (3) Sing Sing Sing

Chuck Berry's ultimate guitar riff takes on Goodman's swinging classic. And in a upset Benny's jazzy clarinet and Krupa's monstrous drumming are too much for Chuck's guitar.

So there you have it. THE greatest song of the 20th century:

SING SING SING!!
          Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

you left off "Tom Sawyer"....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              You either have incredible one-handed typing skills or had this all typed out beforehand (because there's no way you're not stroking yourself).
              just having some fun

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                just having some fun
                We all know its fun.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Are you sure you don't mean "Sing, Sing, Sing"??

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Are you sure you don't mean "Sing, Sing, Sing"??
                    uh...yes i did... (egg on face).. not sure why i did that

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      THE FINALS:

(1) Johnny B Goode v. (3) Sing Sing Sing

Chuck Berry's ultimate guitar riff takes on Goodman's swinging classic. And in a upset Benny's jazzy clarinet and Krupa's monstrous drumming are too much for Chuck's guitar.

So there you have it. THE greatest song of the 20th century:

SWING SWING SWING!!
                      You didn't get this one.

Personally, I don't even think it is the best Benny Goodman song.

Comment

where the f. is rebecca black??? sheesh, this playoff means nothing.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                        X