I think I'm going to try to start thinking in complete thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm going to try to start thinking in complete thoughts

I use lots of ellipsis in my posts. I'm going to try to stop that.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

and...

Comment

Better to use ellipses and be thought a fool than to eliminate ellipses and remove all doubt... :toasted:
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

does this have anything to do with the supermoon this saturday? because it's ok to use ellipses with perigees or apogees.

...you know, that feels like something charlie sheen would say.

Comment

I think I already write everything I have to say (unless I delete the post). I just put in the ellipsis to either equivocate or in hopes of tricking people into thinking I have more to say, only it's much too deep or confidential for public consumption.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ellipses can be used for different reasons...one is to indicate omission of a word or words from a text. They can also be used to indicate a brief pause for effect. Sometimes they are used at the end of a sentence to show....

I use them too much, usually to indicate a pause in thought or to emphasize the point just stated. I don't use them in formal writing, though, except for the first purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Ellipses can be used for different reasons...one is to indicate omission of a word or words from a text. They can also be used to indicate a brief pause for effect. Sometimes they are used at the end of a sentence to show....

I use them too much, usually to indicate a pause in thought or to emphasize the point just stated. I don't use them in formal writing, though, except for the first purpose.
              Ditto...

At least I stopped saying "dot-dot-dot" in my head everytime I used them; the meds are helping... DOH! Now it's back dot-dot-dot

Goosefraba
              Last edited by SeaDogStat; 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM.
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I use lots of ellipsis in my posts. I'm going to try to stop that.
                shouldn't that be "ellipses"......
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

...yep... pause for effect.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    I'm going to stop staring at eclipses.
                    I'm watching Twilight Saga: Ellipses tonight...
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I'm going to stop staring at eclipses.
                      No you are not............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

Comment

Tiger Woods need this six inch putt to capture the 2011 Masters............OHHH he ellipses out of the cup!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          No you are not............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................
                          If I had to say dot dot dot dot after all those, um, dots...I would have to hunt you down and kill you lol

Comment

Are you having a total ellipse of the heart?
                            ....thank you Kim.....

Comment

I see you started a blog:

Didn't know you were a Royals fan, though...
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                              X