Closing Situations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Situations

Here's a thread for discussion - what closing situations are settled, and which ones are up in air? If any homers have any insight, I'd like to hear them.

I presume Broxton closes in LA (at the start anway), Storen in DC, and Kimbrel in the ATL (although I'm not positive)

STL - Franklin appears settled, but does he retire after 2011? If so, is Motte the guy or someone else?
    CIN - Cordero appears to have in hand, generally effective and the last year of big contract. 2012 Chapman?
    HOU - Brandon Lyon, but he is Brandon Lyon. Who is next in line?
    Cubs - Marmol
    Arizona - JJ Putz. Has been effective. Has had injury problems. Gutierrez closed before, Demel closed in the minors.
    Milwaukee - Axford got it done last year; presumably he continues on. Braddock has great stuff and overpowered hitters in the minors...
    Philly - Lidge. 2009 sucked, performed better last year. Is there anyone in the system that fits the role should they decide to reduce salary?
    FLA - Nunez at first with a short leash. Hensley there to pick up the slack.
    Colorado - Huston Street. Lindstrom around for insurance.
    SD - When will Bell be traded? I presume Gregorson or Adams once he's dealt away
    SF - Wilson. Locked down.
    Last edited by ; 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM.

Pitt with Hanrahan and Meek is up in the air, Tampa supposedly is going with Farnsworth (and no matter what stats are spit out, I still can't believe Tampa management drank that much stupid), Papelbon will start the closer in Boston but has to be looking over his shoulder, and Seattle's trying to deal Aardsma.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Actually lots of looking over their shoulder this spring ...
      Toronto now with Francisco pencilled in
      Baltimore with Gregg
      Chicago White Sox with Sale?
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Scouting book - http://www.scoutingbook.com/closers/

Comment

Originally posted by Phineas to Ferb View Post
          CIN - Cordero appears to have in hand, generally effective and the last year of big contract. 2012 Chapman?
          I have to think that Chapman's future is as a starter. Unless he fails as a starter at the major league level. Chapman could end up closing this year if Cordero falters. Another option would be Masset. But I believe that Chapman's future is as a starter.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Does Feliz remain a closer? He apparently will be stretched out during ST.

We had a thread at the other place about the TB situation A recent blurb I read said, McGee was going to get stretched out, but that either means he is going to AAA to do that or he stays up and works toward the back end of the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
              Does Feliz remain a closer? He apparently will be stretched out during ST.

We had a thread at the other place about the TB situation A recent blurb I read said, McGee was going to get stretched out, but that either means he is going to AAA to do that or he stays up and works toward the back end of the pen.
              The team is very clear that Feliz will get a full shot at a rotation slot. They feel there are enough hot young arms to handle the bullpen.

The Gregg/Uehara battle interest me. Gregg got the big contract, but that was before UE was lights out in September.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                The team is very clear that Feliz will get a full shot at a rotation slot. They feel there are enough hot young arms to handle the bullpen.

The Gregg/Uehara battle interest me. Gregg got the big contract, but that was before UE was lights out in September.

J
                Gregg signed his big contract long AFTER the 2010 season had ended.

Comment

MIN - is Nathan ready to go on Opening Day? Will he pitch back-to-back right away (assuming the Twins win back-to-back games) or will there be a chance for Capps to get a few cheap saves?

ATL - Kimbrel the righty, Sherrill the lefty, Venters the young lefty likely locked out of saves by the veteran lefty Sherrill?

Comment

Originally posted by Phineas to Ferb View Post
                    Philly - Lidge. 2009 sucked, performed better last year. Is there anyone in the system that fits the role should they decide to reduce salary?
                    Manuel doesn't like or trust young relievers, so there's almost no chance any of them will take over at closer anytime soon. I doubt Lidge will be re-signed after his deal is up, so Madson is next in line if he is still around, then Contreras.

Of the young guys, Justin De Fratus has the best stuff, but I wouldn't expect him to get a shot at saves anytime soon unless a bunch of weird things happened. I can see them signing a veteran if both Lidge and Madson depart.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Manuel doesn't like or trust young relievers, so there's almost no chance any of them will take over at closer anytime soon. I doubt Lidge will be re-signed after his deal is up, so Madson is next in line if he is still around, then Contreras.

Of the young guys, Justin De Fratus has the best stuff, but I wouldn't expect him to get a shot at saves anytime soon unless a bunch of weird things happened. I can see them signing a veteran if both Lidge and Madson depart.
                      Problem for '12 is I can see Madson signing a contract for more than Lidge.

I think that Contreras gets 2-3 saves this year and is 3rd in line after Madson.

Comment

double post
                        Last edited by Erik; 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                          Problem for '12 is I can see Madson signing a contract for more than Lidge.
                          He had the chance to leave after 2008 and close elsewhere but decided he'd rather stay with the Phils.

Now this time, there would be more money involved, but who knows how it will shake out.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            MIN - is Nathan ready to go on Opening Day? Will he pitch back-to-back right away (assuming the Twins win back-to-back games) or will there be a chance for Capps to get a few cheap saves?
                            I read Nathan says he's ready to go, for whatever that's worth.
                            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

ATL - Kimbrel the righty, Sherrill the lefty, Venters the young lefty likely locked out of saves by the veteran lefty Sherrill?
                              I think Venters gets an opportunity before Sherrill. He was too good last year.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X