AL keeper help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL keeper help needed

10-team AL-only, standard roto setup. Inflation is likely to be about 10% or so. Studs go for low $40s or mid-$30s. Top couple pitchers will go for mid-$30s. Can keep up to 8. Contracts are A-B-C with C being the last keepable year. I won last year and shed some good keepers in the process, so here's what I have to choose from. Thanks!

Likely 8:
    Crawford $34 C
    VMart $21 C
    Scutaro $1 C

Liriano $12 B
    Gio $7 B
    Guthrie $1 B
    League $1 B
    Scherzer $19 B (I like him a lot this year)

The Rest:
    M Cabrera $41 C
    Raburn $6 B (too much for a sleeper?)
    Joyce $6 B (see Raburn)
    Slowey $10 B
    Adam Jones $22 B
    Aaron Hill $21 B

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
    10-team AL-only, standard roto setup. Inflation is likely to be about 10% or so. Studs go for low $40s or mid-$30s. Top couple pitchers will go for mid-$30s. Can keep up to 8. Contracts are A-B-C with C being the last keepable year. I won last year and shed some good keepers in the process, so here's what I have to choose from. Thanks!

Likely 8:
    Crawford $34 C
    VMart $21 C
    Scutaro $1 C

Liriano $12 B
    Gio $7 B
    Guthrie $1 B
    League $1 B
    Scherzer $19 B (I like him a lot this year)

The Rest:
    M Cabrera $41 C
    Raburn $6 B (too much for a sleeper?)
    Joyce $6 B (see Raburn)
    Slowey $10 B
    Adam Jones $22 B
    Aaron Hill $21 B
    You've got it right, except I would keep Raburn instead of Guthrie. In a 10-teamer, you need better starters, even though he is only a dollar.

Not much profit in V-Mart, but you need a solid catcher in this format.

I'm not a huge fan of Scutaro, but he'll be a decent MI at a buck. Be sure to grab a real SS, though.

Crawford and Scherzer are bargains even at these high prices. You'll be glad you kept them.

Overall, good keepers but not a huge amount of profit in them. You'll need to have a good auction, getting some guys with the potential to earn more than their salaries. You've got the best players at two positions, and a Top Eight starter in Scherzer, so you have a solid foundation.

Comment

I agree with Lucky and cut Guthrie and keep Raburn. This is a no brainer for me.

I also like Joyce this year and think he will earn a huge profit. So if it were my team I would be keeping him in Scutaro's place. I would then spend some cash on a SS at the auction.

I would be excited to make the above changes and go into the auction with that core and 156 bucks to spend.

Comment

I like Joyce and Raburn too, but Guthrie at $1 seems like a pretty good deal. Scutari does have me worried, but again, $1? Joyce's pt looks to be potentially very limited now. I hesitate to keep a $6 platooner instead of a red sox SS or #1 starter for a dollar. Am I missing something?

Comment

I like Joyce and Raburn too, but Guthrie at $1 seems like a pretty good deal. Scutari does have me worried, but again, $1? Joyce's pt looks to be potentially very limited now. I hesitate to keep a $6 platooner instead of a red sox SS or #1 starter for a dollar. Am I missing something?
          Yes, you're missing that in a 10-team league you don't need a starting pitcher very likely to throw up a 4.00+ ERA, without striking many guys out, even for a dollar.

As for Scutaro vs. Joyce, I'm not crazy about Scutaro, but I like Boston hitters in general, plus you are going to need a couple of dollar guys, plus you can make him your MI and still go out and get a good shortstop.

Comment

I wouldn't argue too much about keeping Scutaro over Joyce. You do have that Jed Lowrie taking time issue with Scutaro. Lowrie is the future and will definitely take at bats from him. I like the huge power Joyce brings. But this is a secondary issue to my next comment.

The real issue is I think Raburn is going to be very good and I am not a fan of Guthrie. That is why this one is a no brainer for me.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. That's why I like posting here - I usually have not looked at things quite optimally.

I think with SS shallow this year I like Scuataro for $1. My values have Raburn at about $8-10 and Guthrie at about $4-5, so similar value but more upside with Raburn I guess. Joyce's PT situation is a little scary, I think he doesn't go for more than $5-6 in the auction again.

I know Austin Jackson is in for a regression, but I may be able to get him ($2 C) for Raburn ($6 B). Thoughts? I think the other owner will want more though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Lowrie is the future and will definitely take at bats from him.
                Is he? They have that light hitting Iglesia who is ready defensively.

Comment

I doubt the other owner will trade Jackson for Raburn but I'd do it he wants to. I'm pretty sure Guthrie has some trade value though so packaging him in a deal is only a win/win situation. I'm sure a at least 1 owner in your league will look at his stats from last season and want to trade for him. I do like Raburn and Scutaro but I love having a few cheap players going into the auction. You have an idea what kind of top end talent you'll get in the auction if your willing to spend. However you can never be certain what the auction will leave you towards the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X