AL Only HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Only HDID

Yes...we just had our drafts this weekend...

For what it's worth, I'd like to know how the 'pen thinks I did in an AL only 5x5 9 team league (we lost 1 owner this year). K/9 used instead of K.

I went in with the following keepers: Miggy-39, Andrus-10, Beckham-10, Hamilton-23, Elsbury-15, NCruz-30, Liriano-9, Valverde-18, Benoit-2. And my draft strategy was to buy big power early and then sit until there were $1 opportunities since we were down to 9 owners. Maybe not the best strategy, but I wanted to try it.

First purchase was Longoria for 40, then came Kinsler at 27 and Victor Martinez for 24. At this point, only after about 7-10 players, I was down to $13 for 11 spots, 6 pitching slots.

So, 3 buys in, my offense is VMart, Miggy, Longoria, Andrus, Kinsler, Beckham, Hamilton, Elsbury and Cruz. Very strong, very balanced and high average to offset what may be lower BA players picked up to fill my last 5 hitting slots.

So, I sat for most of the auction...tossed out a Phil Coke and got him for 1, tossed out Derek Holland, got him for 1 and eventually spent 3 on Scott Baker and was down to $1 bids with 8 spots.

In any case, I did miss out on some pitching bargains, but, you live with your decisions. Regardless, these were my final 8 $1 players:

Alex Avila - good back-up for V-Mart
    Eric Hosmer - couldn't let him go to reserve/minors, would pick up reserve to fill in
    Juan Rivera
    Michael Saunders
    Travis Hafner

Jason Frasor
    Grant Balfour
    JP Howell

For my reserves, I picked up Luke Scott, Ivan Nova, Joba, Tommy Hunter, Lastings Milledge, Bobby Jenks, Andrew Brackman and Casey Kotchman

SOOOOOO, what say you pen members?????

Saunders, Rivera, and Hafner went for a dollar, but Luke Scott lasted to the reserve round? I guess he only qualifies at DH, but... that's a nice pickup.

Obviously your pitching is horrible, but at least you have some closers. I don't have a feel for how easy it is to pick up replacement starters in a 9-team AL only, but you'll have to be pretty active on bringing in replacements, I think.

- Mike
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Yeah, I love the Luke Scott pickup. It's a shame you didn't get a 2nd closer because with K/9 as a category you could pretty effectively punt wins and win with that offense if your ratios were good enough.

Comment

Working...
      X