2k11: Chris Coghlan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11: Chris Coghlan

Likely to be the Marlins' new CF, at least that's where he's penciled in right now. With Uggla gone, there's always a chance that Coghlan gets moved to 2B or even 3B, but the Marlins lack any other CF candidates. (Honestly, I'm not sure Coghlan counts as much of a CF anyway).

Coming off a disappointing 2010 where he couldn't repeat his 2009 ROY season and then injured his knee in a post-game celebration, the Marlins are taking it easy on him early in the spring.

The best thing about him is his position in the lineup - hitting leadoff ahead of Hanley and Stanton while posting a good OBP is a good way to score a bunch of runs.

Coghlan is probably the NL version of David Dejesus. Bill James has him at .297/.369/.430 with 9 HR, 90 R, 58 RBI and 19 steals.

The outside possibility of a 100-run season and 20 steals makes him an interesting sleeper. But the decline in BB% and rise in K% in 2010 make him a little bit scary to invest a lot of money in.

Took him 114 plate appearances before collecting his first XBH last year. He has some speed, but I think 20 steals is the absolute upside.

It's hard to believe that the Marlins are actually giving him a shot in CF. I'd bet dollars to donuts that doesn't last beyond the all-star break.

Best case scenario is that Dominguez doesn't hit, Infante moves to 3rd, and Coghlan ends up as Howie Kendrick for half the price.

Comment

James' project gives Coghlan more credit than I do. His 19 SB projection is more than his MLB totals over 965 PAs. His knee surgery was in July so he should be recovered but he wasn't exactly a burner to begin with.

I can't see the CF experiment working out well which is just as well for fantasy purposes. .280/.340/.415 is usable as a MI and possibly even 3B which seems shallow this year. But that's not adequate production for an OF in any but the deepest leagues. CBS gives him 3B eligibility for some reason, even though he's never made a major league appearance there. I assume other sites only give Coghlan OF eligibility.

Comment

Coghlan in the cavernous CF of Whatever-Name-This-Week Stadium is a really bad idea.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          Coghlan in the cavernous CF of Whatever-Name-This-Week Stadium is a really bad idea.
          This is what I keep coming back to. Especially since the Marlins' corner outfielders are pretty mediocre (at best) - Stanton and LoMo. They have a guy named Scott Cousins, their #9 prospect in 2010 and their best defensive outfielder. He's 26 and hit .297 in a really small sample size last year. He hit .285/.336/.461 in 118 games at AAA before that. And they signed Dewayne Wise to a minor league deal (he of the perfecto-saving catch for Mark Buehrle).

So if the Dominiguez experiment doesn't work at 3B, I can see them putting one of their mediocre CFs out there and moving Coghlan back to the infield. But if Dominiguez is hitting then CF is the only place they can put Coghlan (unless Infante plays so bad that they have to bench him, but I don't see that happening since they'd have to admit they botched the Uggla trade).

Maybe they could trade Hanley for Jeter and just put Jeets in CF

Comment

Working...
          X