Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President's Day -- Why are people off from work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President's Day -- Why are people off from work?

What is the point of giving people a day off for President's Day? Does that in some way "honor" the Presidents?

I'm not buying it.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

It's so bank and postal employees can shop the sales at the mall.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      What is the point of giving people a day off for President's Day? Does that in some way "honor" the Presidents?

I'm not buying it.
      Don't libraries get off this day?
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
        Don't libraries get off this day?
        It's up to each individual library to close if they choose. My library is open.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm not buying it.
          Good to see you mellowing in your old age.

Comment

Who has the day off? I work a full shift.............
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

No mail. Most banks closed. You can check out a book, if you can find Mith's library.

Comment

I'm not buying it.
                Presidents Day is just one more way for "the man" to hold us down. We used to enjoy 2 paid holidays or 2 days off of school...but nooooooooo that was too good. So "the man" in this case Richard Nixon decided that if he combined Washington's(the first one) with Lincoln's birthdays we could save time and money. And they have been doing it to us since that time.

Why don't you get a day off...cause your library sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  "the man"

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post

"The Man" is a slang phrase that refers to the government, leaders of large corporations, and other authority figures in general. In addition to its derogatory sense it has also been used as a term of respect and praise.

The phrase "the Man is keeping me down" is commonly used to describe oppression. The phrase "stick it to the Man" encourages resistance to authority, and essentially means "fight back" or "resist", either openly or via sabotage.[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Presidents Day is just one more way for "the man" to hold us down. We used to enjoy 2 paid holidays or 2 days off of school...but nooooooooo that was too good. So "the man" in this case Richard Nixon decided that if he combined Washington's(the first one) with Lincoln's birthdays we could save time and money. And they have been doing it to us since that time.

Why don't you get a day off...cause your library sucks!
                      why did people get two days off? Can anyone tell me why schools and banks and government workers arre off today? A legitimate reason.

My library is pretty damn cool

Comment

why did people get two days off? Can anyone tell me why schools and banks and government workers arre off today? A legitimate reason.

My library is pretty damn cool
                        It's a holiday?

People use to get Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's birthday off... now they are combined into president's day.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

the same reason people are off for other days.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            the same reason people are off for other days.
                            so it falls under the "just because" reason?

Comment

To celebrate two important people in the history of our country? What's wrong with that?

Move to Canada if you don't like it.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X