Florida vacation for the Griswolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida vacation for the Griswolds

So, as I mentioned on the other board, the Griswolds are planning a trip to the beach this summer (with a quick jaunt over to Universal for Hogwarts).

I'm looking at Melbourne Beach as an option.

I've been to Cocoa beach and enjoyed it but Mrs. Gris and I would like to try a different beach either north or south of Cocoa.

We are both into quieter beaches particularly with a beach house setting versus a condo or hotel.

Any recommendations?

Top Chucklie and Jason have been a big help....any other thoughts from the Junkies?

Thanks!

So, I've looked at Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach and Indian Harbour Beach.

They appear to be okay, but nothing great in regards to beach houses, etc.

I'm bumping for any additional thoughts.

Thanks.

Comment

flying? driving? I used to stay on the east coast many times - then we tried the west coast - very, very, nice

I have never used this but places look nice
      http://www.vrbo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        flying? driving? I used to stay on the east coast many times - then we tried the west coast - very, very, nice

I have never used this but places look nice
        http://www.vrbo.com/
        We're going to fly.

I've used primarily vrbo and homeandaway.com and they have some nice listings.

Just not sure which areas are good or bad. Jason and TopChuckie have provided some guidance.

Any other thoughts, folks?

Comment

I have no thoughts on the matter....except have a great time!

Comment

It has been several years since I have been to Florida outside of a Disney vacation. Actually, trying to plan our first trip with the 4 kids, but deciding when the best time would be since my youngest just turned 1.

Anyway, back to your topic when are you going? Can you sneak over to any Spring Training games. That was always fun for me as a kid.
            Last edited by schlesinj; 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Have you looked into the West Coast yet? I know there are far more little rental cottages over there. Over here we've been overrun by the high rise condos.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                It has been several years since I have been to Florida outside of a Disney vacation. Actually, trying to plan our first trip with the 4 kids, but deciding when the best time would be since my youngest just turned 1.

Anyway, back to your topic when are you going? Can you sneak over to any Spring Training games. That was always fun for me as a kid.
                No, we're going in June or July....so spring training games are out.

Thanks for the thought though.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                  Have you looked into the West Coast yet? I know there are far more little rental cottages over there. Over here we've been overrun by the high rise condos.
                  I've thought about it. But how far away is the Gulf Coast? Isn't it a 2-3 hour drive each way?

I'm only planning on going to Universal one day but maybe it would be better to fly into Tampa and stay on that coast and only drive to Orlando once.

Where on the Gulf Coast do you recommend?

Thanks again, TC!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    No, we're going in June or July....so spring training games are out.

Thanks for the thought though.
                    The last time I was in Florida was in July. It was so hot the mirror melted off my van. Side moldings as well.

If you have a choice June would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      The last time I was in Florida was in July. It was so hot the mirror melted off my van. Side moldings as well.

If you have a choice June would be better.
                      Yeah, I'd prefer June as well.

Comment

Google says it's 1:55 from Orlando to Clearwater, so that's about twice as long as the drive to Cocoa, but that's from downtown Orlando and Universal is a little closer to Clearwater. It's a pretty straight forward drive, getting from I-4 to Rt. 60 through Tampa is the hairiest part. The main artery into Clearwater is Rt. 60 and once you hit the beach, any beach house you can find north of 60 should put you in a nice area.

Being from Ohio, any beach is probably a welcome sight to you, but if time on the beach is going to be the majority of your vacation, then you really should consider the West Coast. It will just feel more "beachy" on the beach and all around town than the East Coast. I just think you'll get more of a vacation feel for your money, but of course I live here on the East Coast so it just doesn't feel vacationy to me.

I'd probably go with the airport that has the cheaper flights, which very well could be Tampa, or I'd try Southwest or someone who sells cheap one ways and maybe fly into Orlando, stay a night and go to Universal, then drive to the West Coast and fly out of Tampa at the end of your trip.

You could even catch a Rays game in their beautiful basement of a stadium and, unless the Yanks or Red Sox are in town, tix will be cheap, and free parking. If the Yanks are in town, maybe you can get away from the family for a few hours and you, J, and I can catch a game.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

BTW, Busch Gardens in Tampa is the best amusement park in Florida if you're over the age of 10.

Comment

Tampa has 2 airports to fly into - the St Pete one has some of the cheaper flights with some of the lesser airlines and Allegiant flies from Youngstown into that airport.

Five adult tickets, leaving 6/2 and returning 6/9 for $831

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Tampa has 2 airports to fly into - the St Pete one has some of the cheaper flights with some of the lesser airlines and Allegiant flies from Youngstown into that airport.

Five adult tickets, leaving 6/2 and returning 6/9 for $831
                              Thanks Jason.....I'll look into this.

On the Gulf Coast area around Tampa....are there some areas that are less congested?

It seems that Clearwater and surrounding areas would be very crowded.

Top Chuckie mentioned north of Rt 60....any areas that you would recommend over others?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X