Defining a Fantasy Expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining a Fantasy Expert

Can you we discuss this? I would like to know the criteria used that allows for the title of fantasy expert.

Is this based on demonstrated knowledge among other 'experts'?
    Is it consistently winning leagues?
    Is it something you can just tag yourself with?
    Ground-breaking research?
    Answering questions in the Asst General Mgr forum?

I feel like there is no real expert definition and I see guys on Yahoo and many other sources who I don't think their opinions are masterful or on the level of an expert but somehow or another they get lumped in.

Is there a club? What do you do you guys think makes an 'expert?'
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Methodology. Someone whose opinions I trust, and who knows more than me. For those to be true they can't just be guessing, they need a reason they're right. It doesn't have to be stats, it could be observation or sources.

Comment

I pay Hammer (who later gives most of it to Hornsby) some money each year and in return I get to be a fantasy baseball expert.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

What i want out of an expert:

-Write/talk about what they do and why they do it
        -interact with others on social media (forums, twitter, facebook, radio)
        -get into a competition with good visibility
        -take criticism well

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I pay Hammer (who later gives most of it to Hornsby) some money each year and in return I get to be a fantasy baseball expert.
          Hornsby is clearly an expert. Me? I am just a liquidity provider.

BTW, youre past due.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            BTW, youre past due.
            Lies!
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

This is a tough call.

I would assume that everyone who is/has been paid (in real money) to publish articles on an established national website (i.e., not personal blog) relating to their theories or methodolgies around a fantasy sport would be considered an expert.

Also, I think if you're recognized enough in the fantasy industry to participate in "expert" leagues, that would be a part in that criteria as well.

Does that mean they win every fantasy league that they participate in? No, hardly.

As someone who supposedly is an "expert", I have to say that many folks here at RJ are smarter than me in fantasy sports but they just haven't reached nor want to reach that level of sharing their knowledge on an established fantasy sports site.

They could be "experts". They have chosen not to go to that level.

Hey, jusy my thoughts.

Gris

Comment

Interesting responses. Yeah, I feel like it's proof in the pudding. There are a lot of real experts but there is also a marketing spin as well with the moniker and guys are too easily tagged with it IMO.
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

In Ireland, I'm probably a fantasy expert.

:P

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                    Interesting responses. Yeah, I feel like it's proof in the pudding. There are a lot of real experts but there is also a marketing spin as well with the moniker and guys are too easily tagged with it IMO.
                    You're preaching to the choir here, DJB!

I've always tried to downplay the "expert" tag but now I just kinda go along with it. Again, there are alot smarter football on this site alone, but choose not to be "slaves" to the fantasy writing world. I can't argue with them, I've fought off those demons occasionally, but it keeps dragging me back in. It's an ego problem....I know it...I can't control it.

Comment

MJ is an expert, if only because he's the only one who will answer question after question after question from me

Comment

Originally posted by umjewboy View Post
                        MJ is an expert, if only because he's the only one who will answer question after question after question from me
                        Did you ever ask me any fantasy football questions that I didn't answer? Hmmmmm????

Comment

Yeah, but you're from "Ohio." That automatically disqualifies you...

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            I'd say I value the opinions of about 1 out of 10 fantasy baseball writers that I encounter. If we stretch that out to valuing opinions on an ongoing and consistent basis, I'd say it drops to probably 1 in 20 or 30. Being on teh Internets does not an expert make.
                            Agree completely. That's what makes this site nice - IMO, we have some real experts in here, who may or may not be published or well-published. They may not have won expert leagues. But they're clearly on top of the work they decide to focus on. Take Kevin Seitzer for example - say, just for the sake of discussion, KS hasn't won a league in a few years (mind you, I suspect that's not the case). That doesn't make him any less of an expert on interpreting Pitch/Fx data and identifying pitching trends.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Agree completely. That's what makes this site nice - IMO, we have some real experts in here, who may or may not be published or well-published. They may not have won expert leagues. But they're clearly on top of the work they decide to focus on. Take Kevin Seitzer for example - say, just for the sake of discussion, KS hasn't won a league in a few years (mind you, I suspect that's not the case). That doesn't make him any less of an expert on interpreting Pitch/Fx data and identifying pitching trends.
                              I guess I'd distinguish between "fantasy experts" and "sabermetricians", as well. KS's published work can be scoured for insights that will help in a fantasy league, but I never got the sense that providing fantasy advice or insight was his intent, whereas I think that IS the intent of a "fantasy expert" like Gris. I view KS as more of a sabermetrician - an analyst of baseball through the use of objective evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X