Gary Sheffield: HoF worthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Sheffield: HoF worthy?

With Rotoword help: Gary Sheffield retired on Wednesday after a 22-year career. The nine-time All-Star batted .292/.393/.514 with 509 homers and 253 stolen bases, finishing with 304 more walks than strikeouts. Sheffield will first appear on the HOF ballot after the 2014 season.

World Series winner in 1997 with Florida; NL player of the year in 2003; 5-time silver slugger; one second- and two third-place finishes in MVP voting.

Recent comparison: Recent inductee Andre Dawson batted .279/.323/.482 with 438 HR and 315 SB in 21 years.

Of course, Sheff's name was supposedly in the mitchell report, so I guess he could be in Palmiero territory.

He also admitted to throwing a game. I would have to think thats a strike against him.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Throwing a game? Hell, he basically threw a whole season in Milwaukee. Combine that with his 'roid use, and the only way he should get in the Hall is with a paid ticket...and he ought to have to pay double.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Not no. Hades and Perdition no.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

If he threw a whole season in Milwaukee, it would have been just 4.5% of his career play time. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            If he threw a whole season in Milwaukee, it would have been just 4.5% of his career play time. Just saying
            The numbers are probably there, the attitude and baggage will likely keep him out.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              The numbers are probably there, the attitude and baggage will likely keep him out.
              This.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Also agree.

Comment

This most recent era requires, IMO, years of perspective. The writers just don't have that right now. In fact, they're lashing out at the most recent candidates (e.g. Bagwell) in an effort to distract everybody else from the fact that they all knew that PEDs were being used but didn't say squat about it at the time.

So, will Sheff get in? Some day, most probably. And so will Palmeiro and perhaps Kevin Brown. But it might be years from now or even via a veterans committee.

Comment

The line forms behind manny, thome and maybe even Edgar for people who were mostly bat for a really long time

Comment

I never thought of him as a HOF player during his career, thus no.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                        So, will Sheff get in? Some day, most probably. And so will Palmeiro and perhaps Kevin Brown. But it might be years from now or even via a veterans committee.
                        Well Kevin Brown will never get in. He only got 2% of the vote this past year, so he is off the ballot forever. Unless the veterans committee steps in when he has passed away or something.

Comment

I think Sheffield is a HOFer and will get in when MLB gets around to acknowledging that they just need to put an asterisk on the "steroid era" rather than picking and choosing which specific players to "punish" in the HOF voting.

Comment

From BR:

Hall Of Fame StatisticsPlayer rank in (·)

Black Ink Batting - 4 (415), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink Batting - 123 (153), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 156 (77), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 61 (28), Average HOFer ≈ 50
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                              This most recent era requires, IMO, years of perspective. The writers just don't have that right now. In fact, they're lashing out at the most recent candidates (e.g. Bagwell) in an effort to distract everybody else from the fact that they all knew that PEDs were being used but didn't say squat about it at the time.

This is the biggest issue I have with the entire situation. It's not as though PED use was a shock to anyone. Pundits everywhere lauded the "long ball", and cheered all of the top stars they're now damning. The hypocrisy of the whole thing really irritates me.

Comment

Working...
                              X