Fun With Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Google Earth

Stumbled across something interesting on Google Earth while checking out a story today. The approximate coordinates are 6` 52'23.24S / 39`12'03.48E .

What did I find that as far as I can tell absolutely shouldn't be there?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

The coordinates are to a hangar at Julius Nyerere airport in Tanzania, but I can't tell what the airplanes are.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Women have always admired my longitude
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        The coordinates are to a hangar at Julius Nyerere airport in Tanzania, but I can't tell what the airplanes are.
        whatever they are, they're probably not there any longer, as the image is from 2/24/07.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          whatever they are, they're probably not there any longer, as the image is from 2/24/07.
          But as far as I can tell, there's no record of it ever operating from there.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

So let's pretend I'm dumb, ok that was easier than I thought, am I just looking at a plane? What kind of plane in particular?
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              So let's pretend I'm dumb, ok that was easier than I thought, am I just looking at a plane? What kind of plane in particular?
              The one with the extremely distinctive configuration-- 103' wingspan, long engine nacelles near the wing roots...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                The one with the extremely distinctive configuration-- 103' wingspan, long engine nacelles near the wing roots...
                I saw the plane, I saw that it was big. But what is the significance of it, what kind of plane is it? Kind like the passover question, how is this plane different from all other plans?

Your not pretending hard enough that I'm dumb.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  I saw the plane, I saw that it was big. But what is the significance of it, what kind of plane is it? Kind like the passover question, how is this plane different from all other plans?

Your not pretending hard enough that I'm dumb.
                  i think PD signed on with Bob's name.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Nah, this is pretty straight forward... the answer won;t change and there's no more info to come. There's an iconic aircraft on that ramp and one that operates (still, 50 years into its service) in a state of high secrecy. There's no ecord of it operating out of this airport and that makes it very surprising that it hasn'y been removed fromt he shot (as it has in other Google Earth shots).

Comment

The U-2 spy plane? That was my first guess, but I didn't know it was still in operation.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

The U-2 spy plane? That was my first guess, but I didn't know it was still in operation.
                        Ding ding ding. The U2 is still very much in operation carrying out highly classified missions in addition to being an indispensable battlefield spotter in Afghanistan...and very much not, as far as I've found, advertised as operating out of Dar es Salaam. It's a high maintenance aircraft with longer runway requirements, so to operate it out of a field like Nyerere says the task that had it there was of a high priority-- this plane was there because the USAF or CIA *really* wanted it there. It could have been there supporting CJTF Horn of Africa, but that's unlikely, imo, given the duties of the Task Force. In the time frame the imagery was shot there was a lot of talk about SEALs and other high end Special Forces operating in the back country of Somalia-- this could be evidence of that.

It's always worth keeping your eyes open when you play with Google Earth-- you see some very interesting stuff that the various censors don't always get to.

Comment

Anyone feel like posting a screenshot?

Comment

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X