Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading of Health Bell seems certain, Gregerson or Adams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading of Health Bell seems certain, Gregerson or Adams?

Some feel Mike Adams would get the first shot at closing, but in my mind Gergerson is the higher upside pitcher. The Padres may feel they are better off with Gregerson in the 8th inning, I'm not sure. Who gets the gig when Bell is traded (probably in July)?

While I think it would be in the Padres' best interest to deal Bell, how does it seem certain? Everything I've heard has Bell wanting to work out a longterm deal with the Padres and the Padres being amenable to the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
      While I think it would be in the Padres' best interest to deal Bell, how does it seem certain? Everything I've heard has Bell wanting to work out a longterm deal with the Padres and the Padres being amenable to the idea.
      pVVn3d
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        I read a quote somewhere today that bell feels fairly 'certain' he is going to be traded.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
          pVVn3d
          Hardly

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I'm not so sure about the "certain" part, either:

from MLBtraderumors.com

FWIW, if he does get traded I think Adams will get the closer's gig.
            Any particular reason why you think Adams will close? Do you think Gregerson offers more upside as a stud closer? Either way, whoever does get the job, he immediately jumps to a tier 1 closer.

Comment

For some good reason, SD seems to favor Adams. He's done well when healthy. My guess is that if Bell is traded, it's Adams in the short run and Gregerson in the long run.
              “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cool. I didn't realize there was new material from MLBTradeRumors. Anyway, I've always assumed the first chance would go to Adams. I thought he had generally been the pitcher of choice in the 8th whenever healthy. And I agree that he has better "closer-like" stuff with his high velocity arsenal.

Don't get me wrong. I like Gregerson plenty. But my opinion is that Adams will get the first shot if Bell is dealt.

Comment

Well, it's exceptionally close, as anyone could see by looking at either player's stat sheet. I just think that Adams throws harder and has more experience in the league. Seems to me that when there's a toss up, the veteran usually gets the call. I'm not sure that Gregerson offers more upside than Adams --- I think their skills are different (Gregerson is much more of an off-speed pitcher) but equally valuable.

Adams is pretty much a power pitcher --- fastballs and cut fastballs account for 80-ish% of his pitches. Gregerson is more of an off-speed guy --- sliders accounted for nearly 60% of his pitches in 2010. It just seems like power pitchers get the closer job more often than do off-speed guys, for better or for worse.
                  Well, Gregerson had 89 ks in 78 innings and a 0.83 whip. That's closer material to me.

Here is something I found from June of last year, but that's an entire half-season ago - http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...?page=re100624

1. Luke Gregerson, San Diego Padres: Few relievers have done as much to improve themselves from a year ago as Gregerson, and let's point out that in 2009, he finished fourth in the majors among relievers in both holds (27) and strikeouts (93). Two things have changed. His command has been impeccable; his 0.97 walks-per-nine innings ratio is a significant improvement upon 2009's 3.72, and he has issued just two free passes in his past 122 batters faced. He also hasn't had problems with left-handed hitters, limiting them to .091/.153/.109 (AVG/OBP/SLG) this season. It's difficult to explain how Gregerson could have made such huge strides in the latter department, but one major difference, per Inside Edge, is that lefties have just .050/.095/.050 rates against his fastball this year (he has thrown 98 of them) compared to .452/.507/.629 in 2009 (in 300 fastballs thrown), not to mention he's relying a bit more on his slider in those at-bats. Chances of closing: The Padres are currently in first place, half a game from the National League's best record, so a Heath Bell trade isn't likely. At least Gregerson looks like the go-to guy in the event the Padres do need a Bell replacement.

6. Mike Adams, San Diego Padres: While his experience might have seemingly placed him next in line to close in San Diego, Gregerson appears to have leapt ahead of him on the depth chart. But let that be a credit to Gregerson's improvement rather than a knock on Adams. He continues to rank among the game's most effective relievers and has stayed healthy all year. Adams has averaged 10.3 K's per nine in his three years in San Diego, so he can help you even if he never sniffs a save chance. Chances of closing: Unfortunately, he truly might never sniff a save chance.

Comment

Shrug.

If you've already decided, then why ask the question?

Me, I would bet good money that Adams will get the job if Bell goes away for the reasons I've already stated.
                    That's just it I haven't made up my mind. I don't think anyone really knows for sure, thus the reason I started this thread, to generate some discussion. I appreciate your opinion on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                      Hardly
                      relax
                      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

I have Adams for $5 and Gregerson for $10. I sure wish they would have already traded Bell so all I had to worry about was which one nails down the job in ST, or possibly if I kept both I definitely have a closer and an elite setup man for a total of $15. As it is, I can't justify $15 for two elite setup men, so I will only be keeping Adams since he is cheaper and I think slightly more likely to get the job if and when Bell is traded. Of course I would love to reacquire Gregerson for less than $10 in the draft.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                          Well, Gregerson had 89 ks in 78 innings and a 0.83 whip. That's closer material to me.

Here is something I found from June of last year, but that's an entire half-season ago - http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...?page=re100624
                          They also have Meek ahead of Hanrahan but it seems to me that Hanrahan has the best shot at closing in Pittsburgh.

Also, Benoit is ranked #13, I think he should be higher. I think it's one of two things, outdated material or ESPN. Maybe both.

Just a thought.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            They also have Meek ahead of Hanrahan but it seems to me that Hanrahan has the best shot at closing in Pittsburgh.

Also, Benoit is ranked #13, I think he should be higher. I think it's one of two things, outdated material or ESPN. Maybe both.

Just a thought.
                            Yep, I said it was an old article.

Comment

So, with these recent developments would you consider Gregorson a keeper knowing:

1. $5
                              2. 11 team NL-Only
                              3. $260
                              4. Moderate inflation

I know $5 is a tad steep for an MR, but if he performs anywhere near his 2010 level it's not like he's going to hurt you.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
                              Matty

Comment

Working...
                              X