Seitzer does it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seitzer does it again...

This is a phenomenal read - not sure if you need a subscription to see the whole thing.

Thanks, Jason. It's not behind the paywall this morning, so it should be free for anyone to read.

The topic is the strike zone for the those who want to know before they click the link.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I think Tango said it well. If there are a lack of replies, it's because people are stunned. This will be some serious reading tonight. I read throught it once but I cannot absorb this all in one read. Outstanding stuff.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
        I think Tango said it well. If there are a lack of replies, it's because people are stunned. This will be some serious reading tonight. I read throught it once but I cannot absorb this all in one read. Outstanding stuff.
        Agreed. I need to have my coffee before I tackle this.

Comment

Great work, Mike! I think I'm more in the camp of preserving this impact of catcher/pitcher skill in expanding the zone, rather than moving to robo-umps, but you're right that it's a really valuable way to measure this aspect of catcher fielding skill. I bet there's a catcher out there who is going to ask for your help in quantifying his pitch framing skills for contract negotiations.

Comment

Excellent stuff.

If numbers for every pitcher, catcher and batter related to this issue are published, would that change the way the umps approach their strike zone with certain players? Or is the "adjust the zone to how the catcher positions himself" tendency simply too hard-wired into the human brain to ever be downplayed?
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Great article Mike, kudos!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                If numbers for every pitcher, catcher and batter related to this issue are published, would that change the way the umps approach their strike zone with certain players? Or is the "adjust the zone to how the catcher positions himself" tendency simply too hard-wired into the human brain to ever be downplayed?
                I suspect that some of it is conscious. "I can't call that pitch a strike. He doesn't deserve it. The dugout would kill me. Etc." And some of it is unconscious, of which part may be mechanical and could potentially be re-trained. One of the commenters to the article was an amateur ump who said that with the inside chest protector that the umpire tends to follow the catcher's body for better protection from the pitch. If they do that in the majors, that could very well affect their zone. You could probably train the umps not to do that, but would they want to? I understand it's not easy to get in front of a 95-mph fastball.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

ALL:
                  Double, double, toil and trouble;
                  Fire, burn; and caldron, bubble.

HECATE:
                  O, well done! I commend your pains,
                  And everyone shall share i’ the gains.

MacBeth

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Astounding piece of work - clearly well-researched and succinctly well-written. I had gone away from Baseball Prospectus the last couple of years. I'm coming back.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Excellent work Mike. I think there has been such an influx of new statistical info via PitchFx and the like, that deciphering what has meaning and what does not, as well as what can we do with the data is gonna take a while. Glad guys like you have tackled it head -on.
                      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Working...
                      X