My NBA auction draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My NBA auction draft

We did our draft auction last night. It's an 11-team, 8-category league, with $150 to spend on 10 starters and a snake draft for five reserves.

Teams can keep up to two players at +$10 if they drafted them or acquired them thru FAAB, or +$15 if they acquired them via trade. The kept contracts were: Melo@38, Westbrook@28, Aldridge@23, Griffin@22, Love@21, Cousins@16, E.Gordon@12, McGee@11.

The flow of the auction always produces some very surprising numbers as folks with money left scramble for dwindling stars. This year saw the highest bid ever in the league's history for a single player - LeBron@63. Next highest prices were Durant@53, Howard@51, Dirk@48, Paul@44, Rose@44, P.Gasol@41. All others sold for under $40.

I ended up acquiring an expensive stud backcourt early, with Paul@44 and Wade@38. The rest of the league was, IMO, overpaying for big men, and as a result I waited too long and saw most of them come off the board. Looking back, I should have gone an extra buck to try to grab D.Lee or A.Jefferson @23, but I didn't. Before I knew it, Josh Smith was the only top rebounding target available on my draft board, so I went $7 above my projected value to roster him at $32. I then sort of fell into John Wall@21, which was redundant of my strengths, but I think that's a great price because I see him making the leap and likely being a keeper next year @31. I went real cheap on the C's, filling in both at $1 after no one else had room for a C. I grabbed Kaman and, as a calculated late season surge/keeper stash, B.Lopez. (I also stashed a $1 W.Chandler in the reserve round, but that was probably dumb.) Then I was thrilled to find Afflalo still available for my first reserve pick.

Here's my final roster:

G Paul $44
    G Wade $38
    G Wall $21
    G Dudley $1
    F J.Smith $32
    F Blatche $9
    F Ty.Thomas $1
    F Ry.Anderson $1
    C Kaman $1
    C B.Lopez $1

Reserves: Afflalo (G), Marion (F), W.Chandler (G/F), J.O'Neal (C), McRoberts (F), C.Butler (F)

Overall, I wasn't really thrilled with my draft. I do think I got two of the top five players overall, and I was shocked that Wade cost less than Dirk, Pau and Dwight. I think I added two other top-20 fantasy players in Smoove and Wall, albeit at the bottom or on the cusp of that top-20. The rest of the roster includes some players who fell at cheap, and I think good, prices, but obviously I've got four studs and then a lot of wait-and-sees. When I counted up stats, I think I'm huge in STL and BLK, which is good because I think those are generally categories that a lot of folks miss on draft day and I should be in a good strength position to trade off those stats. I think my biggest weaknesses are 3PM (with only Dudley/Anderson/Afflalo helping much there) and FT% (with not enough to offset Smoove's damage, there). I could obviously use more depth at C and may wait to see which free agent surprises with some early value so I can jump in with FAAB. I'm hopeful that J.O'Neal will have a strong start for me, but don't expect to be able to plug him in every week until Lopez returns, if he returns.

Kaman for $1. Did you get arrested?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Kaman for $1. Did you get arrested?

J
      Yeah, I was pretty glad they left him on the board. I'm the only one who rostered centers at $1. Late C picks made earlier than my $1 Chris Kaman/$1 Brook Lopez picks were: Dalembert $4, Okafor $3, Hibbert $7, Chandler $7. Then Camby, Perkins, Milicic, Oden, Anthony Randolph, Blair and Ed Davis were all drafted in the reserve picks before I added Jermaine O'Neal. Meanwhile, second-tier centers like Horford, Marc Gasol and Nene, went for $29, $26 and $21 respectively.

Comment

Just curious......

What did Okur go for?
        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
          Just curious......

What did Okur go for?
          Oh, right, he went one pick before my O'Neal pick. But I hadn't heard about the trade until the guy making the Okur pick announced it with his pick.

Comment

Interesting. I thought for sure he went before the reserve draft since you got Brook Lopez for $1. Actually I had not heard of it till 11pm myself. Grabbed him in one league and saw Riff grabbed him in our league. I didn't need him in Highball anyway.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I like Ty Thomas, but I dislike Blatche at 9 quite a bit, and I dont think he will be able to come thru with the rebounding and blocking that you would need. what did a guy like Ibaka end up going for? Tyson Chandler? I would try to deal Blatche in a package for either of them, just to get more reliable big stats...Blatche really let me down last year, I might be biased

Kaman..gotta ride him out, but nobody is projecting 60+ GP. Love the guards too, but I would still be looking to upgrade Wall or using him to upgrade bigs. It seems like there are a lot of serviceable cheap PG this year to me.

I am also hitched to Josh Smith (first time ever), because I got him at a reasonable price. I just hope he keeps it down low and away from the long-distance shots -- And Brook Lopez was a great play for later.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                I like Ty Thomas, but I dislike Blatche at 9 quite a bit, and I dont think he will be able to come thru with the rebounding and blocking that you would need. what did a guy like Ibaka end up going for? Tyson Chandler? I would try to deal Blatche in a package for either of them, just to get more reliable big stats...Blatche really let me down last year, I might be biased

Kaman..gotta ride him out, but nobody is projecting 60+ GP. Love the guards too, but I would still be looking to upgrade Wall or using him to upgrade bigs. It seems like there are a lot of serviceable cheap PG this year to me.

I am also hitched to Josh Smith (first time ever), because I got him at a reasonable price. I just hope he keeps it down low and away from the long-distance shots -- And Brook Lopez was a great play for later.

Good luck!
                Ibaka went for $17. Chandler went for $7. My F/C group has been putrid so far, with the exception of that great game by Ryan Anderson. While it's still early, I definitely will need to trade for a C or grab one in free agency. Free agent Cs who have at least rebounded pretty well in their one or two games thus far:

Kanter, Pachulia, Hayes, Splitter, Diop, B.Wallace, R.Lopez

Comment

Robin Lopez had a very nice start the other night. He could be a post hype break out. Hayes is a great all around add, just no points.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I own Hayes myself. You can get good rebs and blocks but not much else. Robin Lopez is part of a very murky PF/C situation in PHO...Frye sucks, Markieff Morris looked good and Lopez has Gortat there. I would avoid that team.

In fact of all the guys listed, Hayes is the only starter I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      I own Hayes myself. You can get good rebs and blocks but not much else. Robin Lopez is part of a very murky PF/C situation in PHO...Frye sucks, Markieff Morris looked good and Lopez has Gortat there. I would avoid that team.

In fact of all the guys listed, Hayes is the only starter I think.
                      Yeh. The days when you wanted to stock up on Suns is long over.

I must disagree about Hayes. He does everything but shoot 3pts and FT. One of the best Ast/Blk/Stl big guys in the game: 4 Ast and 1.4 Stl per 30, to go with the expected .7 blk. Also a low TO guy.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

So, injuries and unfavorable schedules had me sitting in the bottom three for most of the season, but I've surged over the past few weeks all the way to fourth place, although I'm still 8 points back of 3rd place, the last money slot. I decided to go for the money, so I traded my $1 Brook Lopez and $1 Jared Dudley (both of which would cost $16 to keep next year, since it's +$10 to keep your own players but +$15 to keep traded players) for Carmelo $38 and Amare $35, obviously neither of whom are keepers. Now I've got the commish, who happens to be the guy in that 3rd place money slot right now, protesting the trade. What do you think?

My current roster:

G Paul
                        G Wade
                        G Wall
                        G J.Richardson, I.Thomas, C.Delfino
                        F Gasol
                        F Anthony
                        F R.Anderson
                        F Marion, Harrington, Butler, Blatche
                        C Stoudemire
                        C Kaman, Pachulia

Comment

I wouldn't protest it since both guys numbers are ****ty as hell this year and then knicks have way too many options now that steal away their stats.

Comment

So is it going to cost the other guy 16 bucks apiece to keep Dudley and Lopez? Looking at it in that light, it's not A great deal, but it's still not vetoable, IMO.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

yeah, not that I have done much NBA auction leaguing, but if Melo and Amare in the 30s aren't keepers and if guys like John Wall and Nene are going in the low 20s, it's tough to convince me that Lopez has much keeper value at $16. I mean, you got him for $1 this year, he's been hurt most of the season, and he's had two good games out of five since he's been back (and if you think the Nets are going to be active in the FA market next year it's hard to count on Lopez continuing to get 20+ shots a game, which is what he needed to put up the big points)... $16 is hard to see. That said, Dudley looks pretty good, and maybe Lopez does keep up the production. It's definitely buying high on both of your guys and buying low on both of his, but maybe?

Okay, I think I talked myself into it. I wouldn't want to do this trade, but it's not so horrible that it needs to be revoked.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X